VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Early snow falls becoming more common.

The Master

In recent years once rare early snowfalls have become commonplace. With reports of the northeast's climate cooling down over this past decade, do you think that in the future GADV and other local parks may be forced to run shorter seasons. From what I have read, the solar cycles of the sun control the climate much more than we can no matter how much CO2 we can pump out. Right now we are in the deepest solar minimum of the entire Space Age. In fact, this is the quietest (fewest sunspots) Sun we have had in almost a century. The surface movement on the Sun has slowed to record rates and according to NASA’s previous announcements is ‘off the bottom of the charts. We may be entering a solar hibernation’ that could last several decades delivering the coldest weather in over two centuries.

Edited by The Master

It's just we have been getting hit hard by a lot of big snow storms earlier and earlier. My one Grim Reaper I had for 4 years has been snowed on 3 of those years (twice before Halloween day). Back in the 90s my Halloween stuff only got snowed on once and that was a faint trace 3 weeks after Halloween, not within a week like it seems to do like clockwork anymore. Thankfully it will warm up but the nice weekend I was looking forward to is going to be a muddy mess from the melting snow.

Edited by The Master

Hopefully the operating schedule stays the same (or I guess I should say they don't make the season shorter since I wouldn't mind a longer operating season).

I don't know if it is just Great Adventure or not when it comes to running coasters in the cold (since Hershey refused to run any coasters for Christmas Candylane and other parks won't run their B&M coasters in under 40 degrees) but it seems like it won't stop people unless the snow is really bad. Closing day last year after the snow storm it was still really cold with some snow on the ground and it was in the mid 30's towards the end of the night but the park was still somewhat crowded with 30 - 40 minute waits for the major coasters and it was great that they didn't shut down anything because of the cold.

I also hope the weather works out good for opening weekend next year since it is so early. If it isn't really cold, I am hoping the park has good attendance and they start opening in March again every year. It's nice the offseason is only 145 days this year compared to 159 last year.

Edited by Yoshi

Pennsy has a state law requiring parks to mandatory follow ride manufactures recommendations. So if B&M recommends not to run their coasters below 40, PA parks can't run them under 40 because of PA's state law. As far as I know NJ does not have a similar law, so GADV can legally ignore ride manufactures recommendations. It's surprising really since NJ is usually more strict with laws than most other states like PA. So Hershey really doesn't have a choice in cold weather under state law, Dorney also has to obey the same law.

CBS3's long range winter forecast thinks there might be 2 to 4 inchs of snow this March but since it's long range I wouldn't put much stock into it, hopefully the snow will be in early March. However March has always been an iffy month, some years it's okay, other years it's as bad as Feb.

Edited by The Master

• 10 months later...