VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #13: El Toro's impact on Rolling Thunder

El Toro's impact on Rolling Thunder  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Did building El Toro next to Rolling Thunder negatively impact Thunder's popularity?

• Yes
    • No

Im guessing yes but thunder always has a decent line, the right usually after the flash pass enterance, the left usually at the corner after the tunnel. There are times that when toro is down though, thunder gains a bigger line as a "lets kill time ride".

Rolling Thunder still seems somewhat popular so I am going to say no. I think the lower height requirement for Rolling Thunder also helps keep people going to it, especially families.

Edited by Yoshi

• 5 weeks later...

I don't think so. I actually think that the construction of el toro benefited rolling thunder. The only time we went wasn't on a very busy day, yet lines for thunder were at the stairs! Then again they were running both sides (with occasional breakdowns). I should have ridden it!!

• 3 months later...

I have to disagree, el toro was the kiss of death for rolling thunder. Dont get me wrong, I love both rides. El toro is the best woodie that I have been on, but rolling thunder was a great ride to enjoy especially when racing. I think sfga did not do enough to maintain rt, improve queues / cars to reduce wait times. With a more modern design people wood tend to choose el toro, they could have done more to promote/ develop that area. If more was done then they clearly would have complemented each other.

I agree and disagree with sfgalocal ..

I agree that if Six Flags did a better job of maintaining the ride and making the experience better for the rider, it would had resulted better for them

I dont agree that it was the kiss of death. I think it there were people that would just ride Thunder because of height and were not up El Toro. I think El Toro served a different crowd. Toro is a bigger coaster serving the large coaster crowd. Thunder served the ones that were not up for the bigger coaster or if Toro was down, they would ride Thunder since they were there.

Technically it is still standing. Not sure what it means but it is still there. Why they closed it way before breaking ground is beyond me...

It is probably just because El Toro runs through RT's infield so they are waiting for the off season but we can hope that they are reconsidering removing it. As for why it closed so early, there is probably some reason that they haven't told us.

i think it brought more people to that area

I agree with this, El Toro probably benefitted RT's popularity. Before it was put in, the surrounding area was almost deserted with the only other major ride being the often-closed and unpopular Viper.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Moonracker7

El torro did effect RT because even though it does not duel... that the 2nd to last season of the duel shuttle, chiller. Now with RT gone, even though we lost a mid. level ride, it was going to be destroyed if we got another Sandy.

• 2 months later...

Technically it is still standing. Not sure what it means but it is still there. Why they closed it way before breaking ground is beyond me...

the reason they closed it so early was so that no one could form a petition in time.

Edited by Coasterharrison'98

on the flip side, i think the loss of rolling thunder increased the popularity of the runaway train. On opening weekend, the line was actually into the queue! Its the only "family" coaster other than dark knight.

Rolling Thunder lost is popularity before SFGadv ever built El Toro. The horrible condition and lack of any maintenance and up keep is what led to its demise. If SFGadv was smart, they would have kept thunder, fixed it up, and ran one side backwards. Another thing was the lack of racing by the operators. I know many people who wouldn't ride it just cause of that. It is what it is, now its gone, and one less coaster in the park to ride and help with lines.

• 6 months later...