VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - NOW OPEN!

GAcoaster

Six Flags Great Adventure Announces World Record-Breaking Ride for 2014

World’s Largest Theme Park to Debut World’s Tallest Drop Ride

and Bids Farewell to a Classic Coaster

JACKSON, NJ – August 29, 2013 – New Jersey’s Six Flags Great Adventure will shatter the world record for tallest drop ride with the addition of the 41-story Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom in 2014.

Connected to the iconic Kingda Ka roller coaster—the 456-foot monster that ranks as the world’s tallest coaster and fastest in North America—Zumanjaro will hoist riders 415 feet into the sky and rocket them back to Earth at 90 miles per hour while Kingda Ka trains launch right toward them at speeds of up to 128 miles per hour.

"Zumanjaro solidifies Six Flags Great Adventure’s dominance as the Northeast’s thrill capital,” said John Fitzgerald, park president. “This is precisely the world-class, record-breaking attraction our guests have come to expect from Great Adventure. Zumanjaro is destined to top many ‘must ride’ lists in 2014."

Three soaring Zumanjaro towers will be built on the face of the massive Kingda Ka coaster debuting during the park’s 41st season. Each drop tower will feature a gondola with eight riders.

The gondolas will rise to the top of the tower in approximately 30 seconds. Riders will pause for a few terrifying moments, 41 stories in the air—even higher than London’s Big Ben and twice as high as the Statue of Liberty—allowing them to catch a glimpse of the skyscrapers in Philadelphia 52 miles to the south before gravity plunges them back to ground level in less than 10 seconds.

"Zumanjaro pushes thrills to heights never imagined when Great Adventure first opened in 1974,” said park historian and author Harry Applegate. “You could stack the tallest major attractions from Great Adventure's opening season on top of one another, including the Big Wheel, Log Flume, Runaway Train and Skyride, and you would still be more than 50 feet shy of Zumanjaro."

The name “Zumanjaro” was inspired by the African influences of Safari Off Road Adventure, the attraction that combined Six Flags Great Adventure and Safari into the world’s largest theme park. A newly-themed animal section adjacent to Zumanjaro will feature mischievous and playful Anubis baboons native to Africa. For nearly 40 years, these baboons were a favorite of Safari visitors, but not included in the new Safari Off Road Adventure.

“Throughout this season, guests have inquired about the baboons. We can finally announce that they will be the stars of this newly-themed area,” Fitzgerald said. Guests will be able to see the lively primates, also known as olive baboons, up close in their new habitat formerly known as Safari Discoveries. These members of the Old World Monkey family “have a highly organized social structure and their interactions are fascinating to watch,” he added.

Zumanjaro and the new baboon exhibit are slated for a spring debut in 2014.

The End of an Era: Rolling Thunder

The introduction of Zumanjaro spells the end of an era for one of the park’s classic roller coasters, Rolling Thunder. The coaster, which opened in 1979, has delivered more than 42 million rides in its nearly 35-year history. Although the classic, dual track “woodie” remained a staple at the park, its popularity waned over the years.

“Advances in technology have led to a new generation of rides with the sleek intensity of El Toro, the world’s No. 1 wooden coaster,” Fitzgerald said. Guests will be able to enjoy Rolling Thunder until it closes to the public September 8, 2013 to make way for construction.

Hurricane Harbor to Expand Cabana Service with New Tiki Bar

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor will expand its first-class cabana rental service with the introduction of Cabana Cove. Cabanas offer a private escape for water park-goers, and a new tiki bar will deliver beverage service directly to the cabanas to enhance the relaxing, island-style experience.

2014 Season Passes at Lowest Price of the Year

Six Flags Great Adventure announced today that 2014 season passes are now on sale at the lowest prices of the year and provide unlimited visits for the rest of the 2013 season (including Fright Fest) and all of the 2014 season. For a limited time, with the purchase of a season pass four-pack, guests will receive a free upgrade to gold status which includes free admission to the theme park and Hurricane Harbor, plus admission to all Six Flags Theme Parks and free parking at all parks for every pass holder. Memberships Passes, which include all of the great benefits of a season pass, are also available at an affordable monthly price. Offer expires October 27, 2013.

This fall, Six Flags Great Adventure’s annual Fright Fest® celebration will undergo one of the largest expansions in the park’s history with new mazes and more scare zones, as well as added days and extended hours beginning September 13, 2013. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/greatadventure.

About Six Flags Entertainment Corporation

Six Flags Entertainment Corporation is the world’s largest regional theme park company with $1.1 billion in revenue and 18 parks across the United States, Mexico and Canada. For more than 50 years, Six Flags has entertained millions of families with world-class coasters, themed rides, thrilling water parks and unique attractions, including up-close animal encounters, Fright Fest® and Holiday in the Park®. For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/2014news.

There is more to rolling thunder leaving than just that its popularity declined as stated on the website. But to keep it open until 9/8 some things must be made to appear a certain way. Be glad you have til 9/8 and have had this summer and thats really all I can say about it.

On the six flags site wen you go to the announcements it pulls up a side bar tab with all of the new additions. One of the ones listed is Hurricane Harbor New Jersey - Bonzai pipelines. But when you click it all you get is a red screen. So I don't know if this was a mistake or if were actually getting bonzai pipelines

SFGA_Zumanjaro_Key Art.jpg

SFGA Zumanjaro Photo 4_8x10_300dpi.jpg

SFGA Zumanjaro Photo 5_8x10_300dpi.jpg

SFGA Zumanjaro Photo 1_8x10_300dpi.jpg

• What: World’s tallest drop ride
  • Where: Six Flags Great Adventure
  • Debut Date: Spring 2014
  • Height: 41 stories, 415 feet
  • Drop Speed: 90 miles per hour
  • Lift Duration: 30 seconds
  • Drop Duration: 10 seconds
  • Riders per Cycle: 24
  • Total Gondolas: Three
  • Riders per Gondola: Eight
  • Location: Golden Kingdom, built on the face of Kingda Ka – the world’s tallest coaster and fastest in North America
  • Theming: African inspired. New baboon exhibit adjacent to the ride.

While I am sad about Rolling Thunder, it's not a surprising move because it has had low ridership and high maintenance costs. The thing to note here is this opens up a really big area for future development (especially when you consider it connects to the former Baboon area of the Safari). If they really wanted to move the waterpark and combine it with the theme park (creating an even BIGGER world's largest theme park), that would be the ideal area for it. I could even see them doing something like Aquatica with animal exhibits included in the waterpark area.

LAND.jpg

I will be very interested to see how Zumanjaro works. I wonder if it will use Kingda Ka's old queue area? I am assuming they are going to build some kind of super reinforced bomb shelter style tunnel for crossing beneath the Ka launch track to board and exit the drop rides? I don't know if I'd want to be on the drop closest to the Ka launch cable if it snapped again.

And you know what that means? LINES. BIG LINES. People from all over will come to Great Adventure to ride it, and obviously it will make everything else more crowded. I just think that every park needs a classic woodie. And now we don't.

The problem is the park has not had huge increases in attendance. That's why they are basically keeping the ride count the same each season. Add a ride take one away. Add a ride that attracts more people take away one that no one really rides anymore or has high maintenance costs.

Every year the NEW ride has long lines, and the others all taper off. It has always been that way and always will be.

I am super excited for the drop tower, but a lil sad to see a classic ride go at the same time. I rode Thunder prob a hundred times in my youth but not so much now. Still is always sad to see an original ride removed. Although i do understand why. The crazy long line for Zumanjaro will totally suck until the "new" wears off. Hell i still havent been on the Safari adventure cause the line is redic everytime i go.

This will be 2 years in a row I do not particularly agree with what they have got. Yes, SORA is a fun experience, but I much rather go at my own pace in my car, and where the A/C is. I doubt I will be going on the new drop tower, it isn't a type of ride I like. I know they have their reasons for getting rid of rolling thunder, but usually you would get rid of a coaster and put one in, not get rid of what is technically 2 coasters for a drop tower. I also wish that they would have said this earlier to have more time to ride it. If I knew for sure earlier this year it was closing, I would make sure to go on it whenever I went.

In the article it says that it's popularity was decreasing, and of course they needed a path for the drop tower. I think it had high maintenance costs too, but are those the real reasons? Who knows.

In the article it says that it's popularity was decreasing, and of course they needed a path for the drop tower. I think it had high maintenance costs too, but are those the real reasons? Who knows.

I don't think decreasing popularity because when I was there it was a pretty descent wait time. Also am a little mad that they did announce it was closing earlier so I can ride it like the did with the GASM.

Edited by Nitroman01

I'm so excited for this world breaking experience! I mean, come on? A drop tower attached to Kingda Ka, in a location that was restricted to guests? That's freaking awesome. This amazing experience comes at a price. I've grown to love Rolling Thunder. I took that ride for granted. I thought that ride would last forever (since it's such a classic woodie). I figured the park would try to keep this classic alive. RT, you were a great ride. R.I.P.

And you know what that means? LINES. BIG LINES. People from all over will come to Great Adventure to ride it, and obviously it will make everything else more crowded. I just think that every park needs a classic woodie. And now we don't.

you could start a public outcry

I only rode it twice this year and my kids and I really enjoyed it. (can't remember which side we rode). Werent they working on the tracks earlier this year? Seems strange if they were going to remove it. So it sounds like this reasoning came up during the summer. I really wish they would (and could) keep this classic. There is something about an up and back coaster I enjoy. After riding Wild One at SFA and Cyclone in CI this year with my kids, we really enjoy these classics.

I like the idea of Zumanjaro for next year. And even though i'm scared of heights I will try it out.

i dont understand why on the website it says "Three soaring Zumanjaro towers will be built on the face of the massive Kingda Ka coaster debuting during the park’s 41st season." 41st? well six flags if the park opened in 1974, wouldnt it make it its 40th season?