VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom - NOW OPEN!

GAcoaster

• 1 year later...

This was in Popular Science.

http://www.popsci.com/tales-from-the-field?con=TrueAnthem&dom=tw&src=SOC&utm_campaign=&utm_content=5953bd6a04d30129f6971cb3&utm_medium=&utm_source=#page-8

By Popular Science Staff August 1, 2017

Six Flags is my science lab

Larry Chickola, Chief Corporate Engineer, Six Flags

I’m responsible for all of Six Flags’ amusements, from the kiddie rides to the roller coasters, in all 18 parks in North America. Right now we’re considering making a new roof for Zumanjaro, the world’s tallest drop tower.

The seats have mesh roofs to protect riders as they shoot 415 feet into the air and plunge into free-fall. We want to make the whole roof bigger because that would make certain design changes easier in the future. But we don’t want to increase the air resistance on a ride that relies on speed. That means finding a light mesh that will cut through the air with less resistance.

So I hooked my laptop to sensors that measure air pressure 1,000 times per second, and brought it over to Zumanjaro with some mesh samples. I needed my laptop to stay open while it rode up and down, so I figured I’d just strap in and hold it myself.

We found a material that lowers the roof’s wind resistance by 30 percent, and weighs half of what we use now. Luckily it took me only 25 runs—and I got an amazing view.

As told to Mary Beth Griggs

• Like 1

"larger roof" how much bigger can they possibly be? I thought the ones they have now on each car where obnoxious.

Does anyone else feel that if the rides do run at the same time and lets say you drop as KK runs up the tower the vibration caused by KK train could interfere with the free fall? I bring this up because the last time I road DOD, we sat in the car and KK launched. The vibration felt in the seat was more than I expected and I couldn't imagine how that feels freefalling at over 90mph

Who knows? maybe they will also modify the way the seats connect to the gondolas to allow for some shock absorption. Or the way the gondola connects to the track. I could see them running at the same time because Lex Luthor Drop of Doom runs at the same time Superman does over at Magic Mountain if I am not mistaken. It would be great to have them run at the same time because that would allow for shorter Kingda Ka lines. I know that when there was VR on Zumanjaro, Kingda Ka would be able to launch 3 or 4 trains before Zumanjaro went and the lines were slightly shorter for Kingda Ka.

I still think it was a dumb move to mount it to KK and it wound up biting them in the butt with what they had to do to get it running.  Id love to know that after all they spent to get it to the point its at now, if they where better off just building an entire new drop tower ride, meaning tower and everything vs mounting it to KK

33 minutes ago, dougdrummer said:

So let me understand this.  The two rides cannot ride simultaneously with passengers because of the vibration/swaying, or because Zum is not properly protected from potential KK debris?

NJ state inspectors will not allow the rides to run together due to fear of loose articles falling from riders of one ride onto the riders of the other.

36 minutes ago, Mrpq said:

technically,  the new loose article rule on KK should fix that issue

this new loose article policy does not really stop too too much. I've been in line on Joker, KK and El Toro and Ive seen people with wallet phone and keys they brought in line. I've seen trains brought into the second station on KK because of a phone, people ejected and people successfully sneak phones onto KK.

I finally got to ride Zumanjaro today for the first time and WOW was it amazing! That view was incredible.  Also, the ride was pretty much a walk on while other rides had some sort of wait. Enjoyed it very much. Waiting up at the top to fall with out any given warning is nerve wrecking in the most awesome way possible.

• Like 1

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 4:32 PM, Squidy2201 said:

I am very surprised because at Hershey Park and Knoebel's, They are so relaxed with loose articles. On the phoenix, people check their Instagram and I've seen people sit front seat on Storm Runner with a park map to make a great picture. 

and you never hear of people getting hit with objects falling off rides at those parks.... Makes you think.

BUT I too was surprised at hoe lax Hershey is as far as cell phones and such on rides.  people have cell phones out the entire ride

• 1 year later...

EDIT: False Alarm due to tricky wording. Zumanjaro keeps it's record for now.

https://www.facebook.com/ICONParkOrlando/photos/a.761428857214105/2495909913765982/?type=3&theater

We are excited to announce the newest addition to ICON Park - for you adrenaline junkies.
Introducing the Orlando Slingshot - the world's tallest slingshot ride at 300' tall and the Orlando Gyro Drop Tower - the world's tallest free-standing drop tower at 400'. The drop tower's seats will rotate with an unexpected twist as it drops down.

Who will you take on your first ride?
Coming to ICON Park in Spring 2020

Zumanjaro will lose it's world record soon.  Icon Park in Orlando is building a Funtime drop tower that will be the world's tallest.

Edited by Medusa42