VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

WDW Replaces Paper FastPass with FastPass+

The Master

Now it gets even worse:

http://networkedblogs.com/WHkw8

Certain Meet & Greets are becoming Fastpass+ Only. Not only that, but some of them are a Tier 1 choice so if you choose the Meet & Greet at Epcot or Hollywood Studios, you can't get a Tier 1 ride Fastpass+ as well. It seems horrible that now there will be no standby option at all for these select Meet & Greets.

Wow that's just ridiculous. It seemed that they were finally starting to work out MyMagic+'s problems when this happens. Hopefully if there are enough complaints they will put standby back at those meet and greets.

Edited by RC98

Sadly, it seems gone are the days of walking around a Disney park and having a chance encounter with a character. The element of surprise always seemed like a big part of what amazed kids the most. Everything these days is at a set time in a set location and even worse, by appointment.

Now it gets even worse:

http://networkedblogs.com/WHkw8

Certain Meet & Greets are becoming Fastpass+ Only. Not only that, but some of them are a Tier 1 choice so if you choose the Meet & Greet at Epcot or Hollywood Studios, you can't get a Tier 1 ride Fastpass+ as well. It seems horrible that now there will be no standby option at all for these select Meet & Greets.

That is just tacky.

• 4 months later...

Today they started a "test" at Toy Story Mania where the ride is FP+ only, no standby at all. If someone already had a FP+ for another tier 1 ride then they either had to cancel it and hope a Toy Story Mania FP+ was available (they supposedly ran out at around noon) or not ride at all and this also prevented anyone from riding more than once. There were also reports that cars were being sent that were half empty because there weren't enough people entering the line fast enough to fill the cars.

10177530_1493490954260218_29864116552264

Edited by Yoshi

Way to go Disney, you found a way to mess this up even more than you already have. Take the only family ride in the park and restrict access to it, and leave everyone else frustrated and unable to ride. Nice one.

Edited by RC98

• 1 month later...

I just came back form a trip to WDW and found the FastPass+ process to work well for me. There were no rides restricted when I was here including Toy Story. It did require more planning around your FastPass but we decided to not let it completely dictate how we spent our time. It helped that some of the rides we had to fast pass had a wait between 5 and 20 minutes. Not bad for Jersey week.

There was a couple of things we couldn't FastPass because we waited to long to try for them. We waited about 70 minutes for the 7 Dwarf Mine Train and 110 minutes to have a visit with Anna and Elsa from Frozen. I wanted to do the Mine Train and my 9 year old HAD to see Anna and Elsa.

I will try to do my first ever trip report in the next day or two.

I just really dislike this tier systems as well as being limited to only 3 passes a day. At Disneyland I usually get 8 fastpasses or more a day, a limit of 3 would be a servere handicap for my ride count. If DL ever picks up the magic bands I will quit going there for vacations. At least the WDW water parks don't have this fastpass- crap. I don't call the new system a plus because it is really a minus.

• 1 month later...

More bad news, Disney is planning to bring MyMagic- to their other resorts by 2016. Saw it coming before they announced it.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-646893-mymagic-disneyland.html

Edited by The Master

More bad news, Disney is planning to bring MyMagic- to their other resorts by 2016. Saw it coming before they announced it.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/disney-646893-mymagic-disneyland.html

I'm glad it won't be until next year. There is a chance I might be going to California this year and was looking forward to using the old Fastpass system.

They really better work out the bugs since Disneyland is much more of a local hangout park than WDW is. The Mypass+ problems would be much worse in DL and the resort is very different from WDW, it can't trap guests like WDW does. There is a 7/11 right on the outside corner of DCA!

At Epcot and Hollywood Studios they tier the attractions and can only get 1 tier 1 attraction. At Hollywood Studios that includes Rock N Roller Coaster, Toy Story Midway Mania, Beauty and the Beast and I think Fantasmic . At Epcot tier 1 is Soarin , Test Track, Living With The Land and maybe one more attraction (Illuminations?)

As I said, Disneyland is very different from WDW. WDW is mainly out of state tourists that are not savvy on how to get the most of their visit or how the resort works. Disneyland on the other hand has a much larger share of savvy locals who frequent the parks often. They are more likely to object to Mypass+ shortcomings and go to Knotts or Universal more often instead. Also WDW has 4 parks, 2 water parts and other stuff, Disneyland only has 2 parks and DCA doesn't have that many good rides. Disneyland is SoCal's GAdv, they are mainly dependant on the local residents of the OC/LA area while WDW is mainly dependant on tourists from abroad. The WDW model doesn't work at DL, two very different markets.

PS, Yoshi, if you do go to Disneyland, Candy Cane is a really nice hotel to stay at and it is right behind Car's Land. Very easy to walk to the park from there.

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...

Thanks, I'll have to remember that, I looked it up and Candy Cane Inn looks nice. I'm not sure if the trip is going to be pushed back another year or not.

After getting back from a trip and using FastPass+ I still miss the old system. It's not as bad as I thought, but makes last minute changes difficult and you have to find kiosks without lines to get the 4th or more FastPass or else it won't save much time if you have to wait in a 15+ minute line to get the FastPass. It rained 1 day the entire day and that was our Hollywood Studios day. If we had been going to another park like Animal Kingdom that is not good in the rain and wanted to switch at the last minute because of the rain, it would have likely been difficult to get last minute FastPasses for the top attractions at another park. Also I think I didn't hate it as much as I expected because it was a slow time so standby waits weren't too bad (at times 30 minutes for rides like Big Thunder Mountain). I'm going to post a trip report probably starting tomorrow.

Edited by Yoshi

^ It's interesting, I was at Disney during President's Day week and my thoughts about the system were exactly the same. Luckily I had no problems with anything but FP+ almost seemed sort of a backwards system to me knowing how it used to be. It would be a big improvement if they could allow the 4th FP to be made through the app.

The MagicBand made a great free souvenier though! :)

Edited by RC98

I agree it would be a lot better to use the app to schedule more after the initial 3. MagicBands did look like it made using the system easier. Since we were staying offsite, we used the RFID tickets so we had to keep taking the tickets out and putting them away every time we used the system.