VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

New biometric pass processing coming to six flags parks in 2014

sixflagsdude101

This article by the coaster guy was talking about the new way six flags is transforming their season pass entry ways with a new style season pass card followed by a finger print.

http://www.thecoasterguy.com/index.php/2014/03/01/six-flags-rolling-biometric-finger-scanners/

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the point of this? It says you still have to scan a pass before you scan your finger. I get it that it makes processing easier, but what about the rest of the season? Why don't they just take the physical pass part out all together? Otherwise, this is so cool. :)

What is the point of this? It says you still have to scan a pass before you scan your finger. I get it that it makes processing easier, but what about the rest of the season? Why don't they just take the physical pass part out all together? Otherwise, this is so cool. :)

I read that the attendants have been taking the pass and scanning it while the person scans their finger. Guess this prevents people from scanning others in. As someone who's worked front gate before, I've witnessed the extremes that people will try to go with other passes.

I read that the attendants have been taking the pass and scanning it while the person scans their finger. Guess this prevents people from scanning others in. As someone who's worked front gate before, I've witnessed the extremes that people will try to go with other passes.

What I'm trying to say is why don't they take the physical pass away all together? Like why can't the pass be your finger? What if someone scans their finger and it doesn't come up in the system? Won't the attendant know? Then the attendants can see if the people's fingers are coming up and also scanning regular tickets.

What I'm trying to say is why don't they take the physical pass away all together? Like why can't the pass be your finger? What if someone scans their finger and it doesn't come up in the system? Won't the attendant know? Then the attendants can see if the people's fingers are coming up and also scanning regular tickets.

They still need the actual season pass for them to scan for season pass parking and to use the dining pass.

^ Thats most likely why, also its still in testing phase so who knows if in the future restaurants and parking will be on the finger as well.

Edited by jdc12192

i also dont like the electronic coupon book either. now i will have to print everything out and bring it with me because i wont know what i will need. six flags is going to far with the technology. i like the old way

I agree. Like how can you predict what coupon you're going to use? Really the only one would be the bring a friend free coupon. Otherwise, how do you know that you are going to buy a pretzel or play a game before you go to the park?

I agree. Like how can you predict what coupon you're going to use? Really the only one would be the bring a friend free coupon. Otherwise, how do you know that you are going to buy a pretzel or play a game before you go to the park?

I'll miss the actual coupon book for those reasons as well. I usually just left the coupon book in my car the entire season so I knew it was there in case I wanted to bring it with me or tear out a coupon when entering the park.

^They're not like the ones at Universal and Busch parks. It seems like they will work better than those.

i also dont like the electronic coupon book either. now i will have to print everything out and bring it with me because i wont know what i will need. six flags is going to far with the technology. i like the old way

You don't need to print anything out. In fact, I don't think printed coupons would even be accepted. All of the coupons are loaded on your season pass. You can check which coupons you have with an easy to use mobile website on your phone. Bring a friend free tickets are loaded up to the pass and are unlocked on those specific days. This makes it much easier. You don't have to rip anything out and bring it to the ticket booth so you're friend can get a new ticket. You just bring the friend to the gate with you and you're both allowed in.

According to Jay Thomas, it will take all of nine seconds to "process" your pass the new way. You hand your voucher to the attendant, scan your right index finger, and a card is printed directly from the turnstile. I believe that after your initial "processing" the attendant won't have to step in. Much like at Universal and SeaWorld, you scan your season pass/ticket yourself and then get prompted to scan your finger which then unlocks the turnstile.The attendant is just there to scan daily tickets and help with any issues. This all being said, I think there are definitely going to be some growing pains in the first few weeks as the attendants and guests get used to the new system.

^They're not like the ones at Universal and Busch parks. It seems like they will work better than those.

You don't need to print anything out. In fact, I don't think printed coupons would even be accepted. All of the coupons are loaded on your season pass. You can check which coupons you have with an easy to use mobile website on your phone. Bring a friend free tickets are loaded up to the pass and are unlocked on those specific days. This makes it much easier. You don't have to rip anything out and bring it to the ticket booth so you're friend can get a new ticket. You just bring the friend to the gate with you and you're both allowed in.

I don't bring cell phones to parks in case they get damaged or lost. I really don't like you need a smart phone for more and more stuff anymore. They should honor a printed coupon since not everyone owns (or wants to own) a smart phone let alone bring some that expensive to a park. I learned long ago never to bring good items with you into a park. So now the park is encouraging people to bring more junk in with them. Through I would not be surprised if GADV has smartphone tracking software.

Cool, as long as it's easy to use it should be good. When I went to Disney World my dad always had trouble using the RFID & fingerprint scanners at the entrance to the point where my mom and I poked at him for it. It's still a quicker process than the turnstiles though.

Edited by RC98

Honestly I hate these biometric scanners and think they're pretty useless in the theme park industry as a whole. Think of all the money and time it takes to install them, money and time that could be much better spent on something else, and do they really save parks that much?

Now I kno what you're gonna say and I'm not denying that there are people out there that have transferred tickets tk save money, but the more that ou think about it, isn't that a good thing for the theme park industry? I'm going to use Disney as an example because biometric scanning makes more sense for their clientele. Say I'm planning a trip to Disney world and my friend is planning a trip down there at a later day. We decide to buy an 8 day ticket, 4 days for me 4 days for him. Now before you come at me with the "Disney would get more money of you bought two separate 4 day tickets though", Disney is still getting paid for EIGHT days, were not stealing tickets someone else paid for, just trying to save money while giving Disney it's fair share as well. Plus, if we did not do this. My friend may have decided not to go at all and this Disney would have lost the profit from an 8 day ticket if I only bought a 4 day.

The only time biometric scanning makes sense to me is in the case of season passes, as people obviously would take advantage of them. That's why I've always admired Six flags process of putting pictures on season passes, low cost and effective. Sure if you look alike the pass could be used by someone else, but let's be honest that is a very unlikely scenario unless your friends and family are your splitting image. Id much rather see a part of the park that's been neglected of matience(cough cough looney tunes sea sport) get some TLC than having to scan my finger every time I walk into six flags