VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Misc Safari Mumblings

• 2 years later...

I did the giraffe feeding for the first time on Thursday and it was totally worth the 5 bucks, such amazing animals and the staff was great taking pictures for us and handing us the food. I'll probably do it several more times this season.

Has anyone here done the vip tours of the safari? It's 150 each for season pass holders, I just need to look for reviews of it before deciding if I want to splurge on it at some point.

Edited by SatansHockey

The Safari VIP tour is great! I did it once in 2007 and again in 2012. You really do get to see the animals close up as well as some behind the scenes stuff like the elephant barns. You also get to feed a bunch of the hoof stock, elephants, giraffes, and baboons. At least you could when I went!

The Safari VIP tour is great! I did it once in 2007 and again in 2012. You really do get to see the animals close up as well as some behind the scenes stuff like the elephant barns. You also get to feed a bunch of the hoof stock, elephants, giraffes, and baboons. At least you could when I went!

Still basically the same!

I did the giraffe feeding for the first time on Thursday and it was totally worth the 5 bucks, such amazing animals and the staff was great taking pictures for us and handing us the food. I'll probably do it several more times this season.

Has anyone here done the vip tours of the safari? It's 150 each for season pass holders, I just need to look for reviews of it before deciding if I want to splurge on it at some point.

Everyone that I've come across that has taken it has loved it. Even working there I want to take one as well.

Its about a 2 1/2 - 3 hour tour. You'll spend more times and get closer to the animals. With animal cooperation you will get out at the elephant area, and get up close to the fence as well as throw them food, go back and see the winter housing, as well as possibly meet one of the rhinos(as said all depending on animal cooperation and other factors). You also will get your own giraffe feeding at camp adventura. When you hit the lions, as well as tigers, you do get out of the rover and get closer to them as well.

Ok jdc first of all the "winter housing" you are referring to is daily housing for the elephants and rhinos as well as their daily feeding of fruits, grains and vegetables. They have troughs along one side of their pens of which there are 4 sections, the rhinos have 4 sections of pens as well with each pen that has concrete troughs that hold their daily fruits, grains and vegetables as well as drinking water for them. Outside the bay doors is their own paddocks they use during the off season so the barn can be cleaned every day. I know this because I did exactly that every day for 2 years back in '74 through part of '76 as well as walking with the elephant during the open season, this was back before they were put inside of a fenced section within the elephant/rhino section. I'm pretty sure things still run the same to this day. As far as getting out of the rover in a lion or tiger section I doubt it would happen unless the animals are behind some kind of inclosure. Please do take the excursion if you get a chance i'm sure you will really enjoy it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Does anyone here know a vet or safari guide that worked last year/ this year? We had a question about " Corner Bear". The bear that was always in the corner hanging out on every tour we had last year. Did he change his mind and move or did he leave the park? We haven't seen him this year. Curious if he's alright. Was kind of a staple of the trip.

Does anyone here know a vet or safari guide that worked last year/ this year? We had a question about " Corner Bear". The bear that was always in the corner hanging out on every tour we had last year. Did he change his mind and move or did he leave the park? We haven't seen him this year. Curious if he's alright. Was kind of a staple of the trip.

I left that department in August so I'm not sure about current status of things. He could've changed his mind or maybe it was more of a warm weather thing he did? Other then that I'm not much help sorry :/