VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Jurassic World - Filming at Six Flags New Orleans

4 Things We Know About the New 'Jurassic Park' Film

Meriah DotyEditorMay 29, 2014
10a35b9e59c3e85f7258a37b693fafd84f7c3a11

The past week hasn't exactly been dino-mite on the set of next summer's Jurassic World. Last week, Joblo.com revealed some plot details about the top-secret sequel. "[it] was discouraging for everyone on our crew—not because we want to hide things from the fans, but because we're working so hard to create something full of surprises," director Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) told /Film in a follow-up interview today. He also revealed a few spoilers about what to expect when Jurassic World opens to the public next July:

1. It takes place in a fully realized dinosaur park.

While the original Jurassic Park was never opened to the public, Jurassic World takes place in a functioning (and extremely popular) tourist destination on Isla Nublar, a dino-paradise near Costa Rica that draws more than 20,000 visitors a day. "It has elements of a biological preserve, a safari, a zoo, and a theme park," says Trevorrow, who notes there's also a golf course, restaurants and some sort of nightlife (we're guessing it's an EDM dance-club called Velocirapture). "It's the realization of John Hammond’s dream, and I think you'll want to go there."

2. There's a crazy-scary mutant dinosaur.

According to Trevorrow, the company behind the park has forced geneticists to make a "bigger, louder [dino], with more teeth" by bringing in DNA from their species. "This animal is not a mutant freak," he notes. "It doesn't have a snake's head or octopus tentacles. It's a dinosaur, created in the same way the others were, but now the genetics have gone to the next level."

3. Jurassic World is set in the present day.

The movie happens in the present day, 22 years after the events in the original Jurassic Park. It's still unclear, however, whether the events of the 1997 and 2001 Jurassic sequels would be wiped out, Days of Future Past­-style.

4. The tourists have gotten a bit blasé about dinosaurs

When trying to envision a typical park customer, the Jurassic World filmmakers imagined a teenager so used to seeing giant prehistoric beasties, he texts his girlfriend instead of staring at a T. Rex. "For us, that image captured the way much of the audience feels about the movies themselves. 'We've seen CG dinosaurs. What else you got?'" Treverrow said. "Next year, you'll see our answer." In the meantime, hold on to your butts.

I have always been a fan of the Jurassic Park films (except the Lost World). Looking forward to seeing Jurassic World.

‘Jurassic World’ To Begin Filming In Abandoned Theme Park

Posted on Tuesday, June 3rd, 2014

ZZ28611254-550x346.jpg

As you probably have heard by now, the story of Jurassic World is set in a new fully functional theme park on Isla Nublar. The Jurassic Park series sequel has been shooting for almost two months now and the production has already filmed in The Honolulu Zoo. The movie, which is filming under the working title Ebb Tide, is moving to New Orleans Louisiana for eleven weeks of filming and next week they are scheduled to begin shooting at the old abandoned Six Flags New Orleans theme park. How cool is that? A movie about a Jurassic theme park filming at an abandoned theme park!

Six Flags New Orleans has been closed since just before Hurricane Katrina struck in August 2005. The theme park is located in Eastern New Orleans, in the Ninth Ward of the city, off Interstate 10.

Since the closing a bunch of film productions have used the park for movie shoots. Most recently the park was used for Dawn of the Planet of the Apes filming. Other films to have shot in the park include Killer Joe featured the wooden rollercoaster Mega Zeph, the Main Street Square section was used to double as the French Quarter in Stolen, and was used in Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters as Circeland on the island of Polyphemus. The photo above comes from photographer Alan Markfield of Twentieth Century Fox from the Percy Jackson shoot.

Director Colin Trevorrow told us that the park “sees more than 20,000 visitors every day.”

OnLocation learned that the production is looking for extras for the Six Flags shoot, so if you live in Louisiana why not apply? Here is the casting notice:

“You arrive by ferry from Costa Rica. It has elements of a biological preserve, a safari, a zoo, and a theme park. There is a luxury resort with hotels, restaurants, nightlife and a golf course. And there are dinosaurs. Real ones. You can get closer to them than you ever imagined possible. It’s the realization of John Hammond’s dream, and I think you’ll want to go there.”

“Ebb Tide”, a Steven Spielberg film, needs men and women (18yrs-75yrs) who are available to work: 6/6, and 6/9 through 6/13 at Six Flags Park. Pay is $101.50/12 hrs.

If you are available for at least 2 of the dates, please email directly to “EbbTide”: your photo, name, email, phone, height and weight to: ebbtidelouisiana@gmail.com.

In the subject line, please put: referred by Robin Batherson. If you’ve already registered for “Ebb Tide”, no need to submit again.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

who can blame the park for its demise, blame the guy that bought the land for jazzland. and now batman the ride from new Orleans come back into the picture because when it went to fiesta taxes, it was renamed goliath and now they have a free fly called batman: the ride witch is kind of redundant because you already have a batman clone, but on the other hand, I don't its map like the back of my hand.

• 3 weeks later...
Source: Inquisitr September 18, 2014
‘Jurassic World’ Spoilers: Genetically Modified Dinosaur Made Up Of Snake, Cuttlefish & T-Rex Will Escape Park

Further details regarding Jurassic World, the upcoming fourth edition to the Jurassic Park franchise, have started to emerge now that shooting on the blockbuster has finished.

Jurassic_World_2-665x385.jpg

Director Colin Trevorrow, who oversaw the 2012 independent cult film Safety Not Guaranteed, has now begun work on post-production, which is already regarded as one of the most anticipated movies of 2015.

The film’s plot will revolve around the running of a fully functional dinosaur park. However, when a genetically modified dinosaur escapes the park, he starts to wreak havoc, which threatens millions of people across the globe.

chris-pratt-in-jurassic-world-first-look

Guardians Of The Galaxy’s Chris Pratt will take the lead role in the blockbuster, which was filmed in a Six Flags Theme Park that was converted so that it looked as if it could enclose dinosaurs. The sudden Hollywood heart-throb confirmed to Total Film that the park plays a huge role in the film, while he has also teased that viewers will be surprised when they see it.

“The park is up and running. John Hammond’s dream has come true and there’s now a park with 20,000 visitors a day, and everything he dreamed of and more is there at that park. And you will see it as an audience member when you see this movie – and then you will see it get torn down.”

Pratt went on to praise Trevorrow’s work on the action film, while he also declared that it will be one of the best movies in the franchise’s history and of 2015 too.

Jurassic World will be set 22-years ahead of the first film, while an entire new cast has taken over the park. Scientists who are now overseeing the destination then look to create a dinosaur by mixing elements of a snake, a cuttlefish and a T-Rex. This, as you can imagine, doesn’t go according to plan, and when it escapes, it starts to wreak havoc worldwide.

Platt also admitted to Slash Film that he understands why fans of the series are concerned about a genetically modified dinosaur, but he has sought quash their fears. “There will be one new dinosaur created by the park’s geneticists,” he explained. “I know the idea of a modified dinosaur put a lot of fans of red alert and I understand it.” Platt confirmed that the modified dinosaur wouldn’t be as mutant as feared.

Jurassic World will hit finally cinemas on June 11, 2015.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Why did they downgrade from semi-auto shotguns (SPA-12) to old lever-action rifles? For big animals like dinos you need big cailbers to bring them down.

Edited by The Master

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just saw the movie, and I tried very hard to see if I could recognize Six Flags New Orleans in the background. I couldn't see anything. Every shot was very detailed to look like Jurassic World, leaving nothing looking like it could have been SFNO. I wonder what they actually shot there and how that gets changed through CGI.

Edited by Matt Kaiser

I just saw the movie, and I tried very hard to see if I could recognize Six Flags New Orleans in the background. I couldn't see anything. Every shot was very detailed to look like Jurassic World, leaving nothing looking like it could have been SFNO. I wonder what they actually shot there and how that gets changed through CGI.

I found this article today. Here is what it mentions:

The production had originally intended to use parts of a New Orleans-area Six Flags that had been partially destroyed and then abandoned after Hurricane Katrina in 2005. The idea was to reclaim and rehabilitate its boardwalk and main street, which would provide a jumpstart on creating an authentic theme park feel. Its still-standing roller coasters would also be featured in the background.

Unfortunately, the park was just too wrecked — it had been built on top of a lagoon, and was sinking into it. Instead, the production built the Main Street and boardwalk sets in the parking lot, which actually allowed more structural freedom. But, fantasy tourists can still put roller coasters on their itinerary: “We’re not saying that they weren’t there,” Verreaux said. “We just weren’t featuring them [in the movie].”