VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #23: What is G.A.'s biggest competition?

33 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is Great Adventure's biggest competition?

• Dorney Park
    • Hersheypark
    • Morey's Piers and the Jersey Shore
    • Coney Island, NY
    • Other (please specify)

I put Hersheypark. My reasoning is that it looks to be similarly sized in terms of ride counts, but is more of a destination resort than GA is. The draw of being a destination resort gives is an edge over GA for certain clientele. However, Great Adventure looks to have better rides and better operations than Hershey does. Hershey has an integrated waterpark while GA has the Safari, those are the two extra things that you get at each park. The parks are similarly sized, but each is different enough to cause certain people to pick one over the other, so they compete a lot.

Edited by Nitro#1

I said Dorney since they both compete for the day trip guests from the NY, NJ area. Dorney has the waterpark included, but our park has the safari included. They also have similar structured season pass and dining plan systems for what it's worth. However in terms of coasters Hershey provides much better competition IMO.

I would say Hershey Park is Great Adventure's biggest competition because it does have some of the same rides that Great Adventure has. In all of my visits to Hershey, it is always been a nice park to visit and had a good experience. They have a Chocolate World, open year round. I know the park is open until December for Christmas and the holidays. On the other hand, I haven't been to Dorney since I was younger, the last time I went, the crowd was mostly all inner city because it is near NYC and Philly. Hershey is one of my other favorite parks I have been to.

Hear me out, I honestly think it would be Morey's Piers. And here's why:

Beach. Atmosphere. People love the beach. Sure, Great Adventure has a waterpark, but, we all know, it doesn't compare to actually being on the beach and taking a dip in the Ocean. People can have a beach day / ride day combination and it's all in the same spot.

You can make more of a trip out of it: There's countless hotels in the area and Wildwood / Cape May is a fun town. The strip by Morey's is lined with motels, hotels, places to stay. The town is fun, there's mini golf, great food, good beach atmosphere. Basically, you're not just limited to the park. You can literally get a wrist band, walk out, and come back any time of day. But unlinke Great Adventure, there's a lot to do in the area. Add this to the park literally being on a (pretty nice too) boardwalk, which families and kids adore, and it's not comparable to Great Adventure.

The rides are comparable, and there's A LOT of them: Morey's has flat rides out the a**. GOOD flat rides too that you won't find at Great Adventure. They have the upcharge attractions you'll find at Six Flags. The haunted ghost ship walk through is themed so well and executed far better than ANY fright fest attraction Six Flags has. There's a plethora of kids rides, everywhere. There's every classic ride you'd ever want: Swings, bumper cars, Himalaya, pirate ship, inverting flats, you name it, they got it. People adore these rides.

They have "real" roller coasters. A Vekoma Boomerang, custom woodie, and SLC are certainly more than your average "Boardwalk" coasters.

From my experiences working at GADV, the general public compared EVERYTHING to the shore / Moreys: Musik Express, they all complained it didn't go backwards "like the one at the boardwalk" They thought Chiller was "better than Sea Serpent." They said the games and prizes sucked compared to the boardwalk games. The said the bumper cars at the boardwalk don't have to drive one way. The list goes on and on...

Edited by IgetAround

I've been to all four parks. Coney Island is definetely not competition. Morey's Pier definetely takes some of our spotlight but not enough to really 'compete' with us. Now down to Dorney and Hershey. Yes Hershey is farther but if you've ever been to both you'd realize that Dorney isn't exactly a 'world class theme park'. Yes it does have some good roller coasters, but when I went I felt like the water park was more of a big deal than the theme park. The roller coasters are good, but not nearly as good as ours. Now Hershey on the other hand that's some real competition. Not only is Hershey more family oriented than us, they are without a doubt close to us as far as world class coasters. Their coasters are great to say the least. Great Bear is one of a kind, Stormrunner is an amazing ride, Skyrush is just awesome, and Fahrenheit is exhilerating. Considering we have nothing like those (Batman and Great Bear do not compete, and Stormrunner is only similar by launch to Kingda Ka) it just causes some real competition to us. Even though its farther, the park is without a doubt world class, coasters, and familywise.

I've been going to GAdv for nearly 20 years and Dorney for 12...Dorney isn't in SF's league. I've never seen one of their coasters have longer than a 15min wait, and their ride selection and park size is very inferior. WWK kicks HH's arse, though.

Hershey is moreso our competition, but even that might be stretching it considering they are like 3 hours apart and serve a different clientelle. In reality, GAdv competes against itself, as another poster mentioned.

Hershey. Skyrush. Nuff' said.

Seriously though, they have some great rides, and a lot of them are Intamins, which equals intensity. It also seems less run-down somewhat then GA.

However, GA has the advantage in ride size. I mean, Hershey only just broke the 200 foot barrier...

The only real thing we have against Hershey is park design. If any of you have ever been to Hershey you know the way the paths are designed are idiotic, the queues always block park traffic by spilling out and it's just not good.

• 2 weeks later...

I vote Hershey. I remember seeing billboards on the PA turnpike with the west going side advertising Hershey, and the east bound side advertising GADV on the same billboards. Hershey draws people from VA, OH, and NY, probably a bigger pull than GADV even since that is mostly a Philly/NYC park. Even on the ABC show, "The Middle", they talked about how the family once visited Hershey Park and the show takes place in IN.

Edited by The Master

^Well Hershey is a much bigger attraction as it's like the Chocolate capital of the U.S. It's also a lot more family friendly. Gadv attracts NJ, NYC, and Philly as it's just a regular amusement park while hershey is a regular amusement park and a chocolate company- I can't find a way to properly explain though

• 2 weeks later...