VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2016 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

I hope that what ever 2016 brings us, it will revitalize some of the run down areas of the park ( like Adventure Seaport, Movie Town and the back end of the boardwalk). If we were to get a RMC I would like to see something like Six Flags Mexico's Medusa inverted first drop mixed with Wicked Cyclone layout. A twisted hybrid woodie would complement our amazing out and back El Toro as well as offer two complete different experiences without trying to out do each other. However If we were to get a Premier launched coaster, I just hope it won't be a one trick pony like Full Throttle. Being that we did get two thrill rides back to back I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a family attraction like Justice League followed by a thrill ride in 2017.

I agree if we got a RMC like Medusa Steel Coaster or like Outlaw Run it would fit in good with our line up and be a different ride experience than Toro and I also agree that we will most likely be getting a Justice League dark ride in 2017.

I don't think will be getting a "classic woodie" or a GCI because we just go rid of Rolling Thunder there would be no reason to get a GCI. Plus I don't think they would do it why would they take out a classic woodie and then three years later put back another one. I think they should have kept rolling thunder then in 2015 or 2016 turn it in to a RMC like Twisted Colossus. Magic mountain didn't need a new coaster we should have got a new innovative coaster like Twisted Colossus not them

^You just contradicted yourself... The reason they might want a GCI type coaster is to replace the hole created by RT. Rolling Thunder was too expensive to maintain, and wasn't popular enough to justify the cost/space. Even then, RT wasn't a good layout for an RMC I-box transformation, and couldn't be done with Zumanjaro being built.

I feel like this has been discussed countless times, but the reason Magic Mountain builds new coasters essentially every other year is because that is the market they serve. Knotts and CGA are family/thrill parks, Disney is family/theme, SFDK is thrill/wildlife, etc. Magic Mountain is roller coasters, and it's been that way. If corporate thinks Magic Mountian would benefit from a new coaster, they'll get one.

Great Adventure serves a wider audience, and appeals to many different people with their additions. Zumanjaro/Green Lantern/El Toro most recently appeal to the thrill seekers, while El Diablo/SORA/Adventure Alley most recently appeal towards families. Historically, Great Adventure has done a fantastic job appealing to both markets. In the Premier days, that shifted to primarily thrill seekers, and they went bankrupt. That is why they don't build coasters every year.

I really don't think we need yet another record breaker. Off the heels of Zumanjaro, and the stint of record breakers we had in the 00's that lead to bankruptcy, I just don't think more record breaking attractions are necessary. They're much more expensive and the ride experience can be sacrificed in favor of bigger, faster, taller. These rides only attract more and more of the YOLO crowd, not those the park relies on and create profits... families.

The park doesn't need a new coaster, IMO. Attendance is fairly steady and the park is profitable. What points to us needing a record breaker? The park is lacking in many categories-- shows, family rides, flats, water rides, dark rides, infrastructure, etc., but coasters are where the park is very strong. I think a coaster is likely sometime in the next three years or so, but you have to recognize other parks need attention as well after Great Adventure has been absolutely spoiled for so many years past (and that's a fact), and Great Adventure has other areas that would be better suited or investment in the short term.

I know great adventure isn't all about the coasters we have a great line up of coasters it's just that if we don't get a coaster in 2016 it will be 5 yrs with out a new coasters and we're getting anxious but I agree great adventure needs to worry about other things too I think we get a coaster next year and then in 2017 get a Justice League dark ride and then take a few years off with the coasters and worry about flats, shows, etc.

I just don't see two $10+ million attractions back to back. Zumanjaro was around $10 million, now El Diablo is around $1 million. From the report I linked to from winter adventure, unless they were bluffing, it did not sound like were finalizing plans for a custom roller coaster. I believe it was written as "We're hoping to get a larger attraction next year" (compared to El Diablo). Either way, Great Adventure is being VERY cautious with their capital, and aren't intending to spend nearly as much as they have historically, which leads me to believe a major attraction is in the works for 2016 or 2017, but certainly not both, and nothing too expensive/record breaking.

El Toro is my overall favorite roller coaster (ahead of the likes of Maverick, Millennium Force, and Intimidator 305), but Rocky Mountain Construction is designing some really impressive coasters. A custom RMC wooden coaster, if done correctly (no height speed records, proper site allotment, etc), could absolutely challenge El Toro as not only the best coaster in the park, but as the best wooden coaster in the world. Regardless of how you look at it, or whether Great Adventure would benefit from it, a park with potentially the #1 and #2 wooden coasters in the world would really be something special. That's a hard opportunity to pass up, especially at only $10 million.

• Like 1

I know this might sound out of place but what about building sea animal exhibits like Six flags discovery kingdom has in the former Balin's jungleland area? An expansion of seafari discoveries perhaps? Even if its a small scale I think that animals like stingrays, penguins, sharks, and various tropical fish would definitely be a hit with the families. This is just a thought and I'm sure that there are many other priorities that the park has before this could even be considered.

A launched coaster with a layout (looking at you, Kingda Ka) and inversions could do well for the park. Or, they could kill two birds with one stone and go for a launched wing coaster. Unfortunately, with Six Flags being very "frugal" with their investments, it may be out of the price range. Sometimes, it can pay off to really go all out and hope for the best with a coaster that really pulls in the crowds. As long as it isn't done every year (achem, Premier), it can be economically feasible.

All in all, I think a Premier launched coaster is possible. We'll have to wait and see.

I wouldn't mind seeing a launched Premier coaster as long as it wasn't a clone of SUF at Discovery Kingdom since that looks like it has a very low capacity and is very short.

Edited by Yoshi