VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2016 and Beyond Speculation at SFGA

They weren't trying to build a thrilling coaster that draws major crowds, they were trying to build a family ride that can be marketed to draw more crowds than its low price tag would indicate. They're not considering this a coaster in terms of total investment; it wouldn't surprise me much to see a new coaster next year. If this were a Sky Loop or a Premier Superman SFDK clone, it would eat up much more of the budget and they would not get a major addition in 2016 in all likelihood.

California's Great America's Gold Striker looks awesome. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing a GCI however a RMC would probably be less maintenance because of the "hybrid" track and Six Flags first choice. It seems that RMC and Six Flags have a very good relationship.

^Yes, RMC and Six Flags are doing well with each other right now, and RMC's are fairly exclusive to Six Flags right now (with the exception of Outlaw run and Wildfire in 2016). But a GCI would also be nice. Keep in mind a coaster isn't certain at this point.

^Yes, RMC and Six Flags are doing well with each other right now, and RMC's are fairly exclusive to Six Flags right now (with the exception of Outlaw run and Wildfire in 2016). But a GCI would also be nice. Keep in mind a coaster isn't certain at this point.

Wildfire is currently canceled...

If Great Adventure gets an RMC creation it'll be all out insane the entire way. They're not going to hold back because of a coaster a different management built more than ten years prior. I'm sure there would be inversions, but they're not going to base the layout from what El Toro isn't. They're going to design a coaster that draws crowds and fits the plot of land.

^Well said, and I don't believe they will hold back at all, but it will be a must to differentiate the layout from El Toro, likely by going with more inversions and a compact layout (much like Wicked Cyclone)

Ok first off you all really need to shut up about it not being to similar to El Toro. El Toro is almost 10 years old. Eventually, its gonna be beat out so why dont we just beat it out already. I agree with not making full of airtime. I think it should be half and half. Half Inversions, Half Airtime. Who cares if its better than El Toro? Il still ride it! Itl still be in our top 10! It wouldnt lose that much popularity. Make it like TC!! Add new elements be creative. They should just make it like El Toro was never there. I agree with Password121 here!

Also, im pretty sure a Wing Coaster is out of the question for 2016. They've lost popularity a bit. I wouldn't mind it but i just dont think its gonna happen anymore. An RMC is becoming my top choice. Whatever it is, its confirmed big ( it was confirmed at Winter Adventure that it would be way bigger than ED)

Edited by jdc12192
merged posts

If Great Adventure gets an RMC creation it'll be all out insane the entire way. They're not going to hold back because of a coaster a different management built more than ten years prior. I'm sure there would be inversions, but they're not going to base the layout from what El Toro isn't. They're going to design a coaster that draws crowds and fits the plot of land.

Well said.

I have to think the park would add certain rides for experience and not just to add,especially if its basically the same as another ride. If they did add a RMC creation, sure it could be airtime packed, but I wouldn't for-see it being comparable to ET. Its hard to put into words what I'm trying to get at, but basically I'm trying to say is, how Bizarro and Green Lantern are 'similar', but yet totally different experiences. It would be the same as ET and a RMC ride that could 'seems similar' but in reality would be totally different.

A giga could be in the question or out of the question. The thing is, has Sox Flags been in contact with B&M or Intamin the last few years? Not really! Just for flats! So thats why I think that a Giga wont happen. They have been using manufacturers such as S&S, Sally, RMC, GCI, and Premier. Or they could use Gravity Group too

^Unless the pendulum swings back in favor of large spending, which it eventually does, any highly expensive investment is out of the question. Only a major management change would make a 20 million+ coaster possible. Im not complaining actually about recent moves made by the park; they've made our lineup more rounded out and now at least we have a little in all categories, including flat rides. Eventually, we are going to get a coaster; there is no denying this. But even if it's small, which is possible, that's not really a thing to complain about.

I don't think it's fair to completely rule out any manufacturers at this point, as the industry, Six Flags in particular, can be very unpredictable.

Six Flags last worked with B&M in 2012 for X-Flight at Great America. From all I've heard, it has been a relative success. It is a high capacity roller coaster that has a wider appeal than many of RMC's coasters.

As Harry said, SF has definitely been in contact with Intamin after Zumanjaro just last year; however, rumors are that contract was signed in 2011, with a package deal including Magic Mountain's Lex Luthor (similar to the rumored package deal of Kingda Ka/El Toro back to back).

Although, with Intamin, there have been very few American projects in recent years, and many of theri modern coasters are hypers and launched coasters, which I just don't think Great Adventure is in the market for (at least from Intamin).

Premier is an option, as their launched coasters have been very popular recently. Six Flags last worked with Premier in 2013 at Magic Mountain.

The only issues are capacity and issues related to the Chiller with prior management. If the price is right and management realizes how much more advanced their technology is now compared to 1997, I wouldn't rule out a custom Premier launched coaster at all.

S&S all depends on the success of Batman at Fiesta Texas. Assuming it is successful, it may be too late for a custom model in 2016. A clone is possible, but I would think a custom version scaled up "Great Adventure" style would be more fitting. Not to mention the awful capacity these coasters have.

In all honesty I don't see a GCI in 2016. I think it would be a great fit, but I don't think they're looking for a family-style wooden coaster/coaster in general. It has been quite awhile since at SF/GCI project (Terminator in '09 I believe).

And then we have RMC. If this is in the works, it's been decided for a good while at this point. A custom RMC wooden coaster would be the only option from this brand. The issues I see with this possibility are this....

RMC has clearly stated they have three projects for 2016. One is Wildfire, whether or not it opens in 2016, as it is far too late for a new project since the delays. RMC also stated they have projects in the US outside of the SF chain in the near future. With this in mind, I'm going out on a limb and saying there will be either one or zero RMC/SF projects for 2016. If it is one, it could be at Great Adventure, but it could also be at Over Georgia, St. Louis, or even La Ronde, Discovery Kingdom, or day I say Six Flags America (unlikely). All that in mind, because of the issues the park had with Zumanjaro and saying they are "hoping" for something larger than El Diablo next year, it sounds to me that they have not been in contact with RMC concerning a 2016 project.

If a coaster doesn't fit the bill in 2016, you can bet on a kids' area/water park/flat ride/dark ride addition. Justice League looks incredible for the two parks this year, and it is all but guaranteed more are on the way in 2016.

I think it is no secret that SF has been more frugal with Great Adventure the last few years, but has that been a bad thing? There are other parks in the chain that really do need a new, major investment in the near future; much more so than Great Adventure.

I don't think anyone would argue that Great Adventure's ride lineup was better in 2011 than it is in 2015, so really: what is there to complain about? A modern headliner will make its way to Great Adventure at some point, whether that's in 2016 or sometime beyond.

Personally, i would like to see RMC build a normal steel coaster, not a Hybird! If RMC where to build a hyper or even better, a GIGA, that would be balls off the wall amazing. So in a way, if we where to get an RMC product, it would be cool if we got something like that. But if we get a normal RMC that would be great too.

^RMC has shown that they do their best work with their smaller coasters; Alan Schilke stated himself he prefers Wicked Cyclone's layout to Twisted Colossus' as it is shorter, more compact, and packs in more elements/intensity.

Furthermore, RMC has found their knack with inversions- something that really isn't going to work all that well with anything much taller or faster than Goliath at Great America (Don't ask why, but there are reasons hypers and gigas don't invert).

If Great Adventure goes with RMC for their next project, I'd love to see a wooden coaster in the woods, hugging the terrain with a couple inversions immersed in the layout.

Great Adventure is not getting a Giga coaster with current management, regardless of the manufacturer. It's simply out of their price range. If they did, I'd prefer either Intamin or B&M. Let RMC stick to what they do best.