VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2015 Golden Ticket Winners

SFGadv123

Top wood: http://goldenticketawards.com/top-10-wood-roller-coasters-of-2015/

Top steel: http://goldenticketawards.com/top-10-steel-roller-coasters-of-2015/

Other categories: http://goldenticketawards.com/2015-park-and-ride-winners/

Some things I found interesting:

-El Toro placed 2nd for the third year in a row.

-Nitro placed 5th for the second year in a row

-Europa-Park wins best park for second year in a row. Prior to 2014, Cedar Point won 16 consecutive years

I really think this poll is irrelevant. Beginning to think results are bought out rather than actually voted because it's the same winners or same top 5 every single year. You can count on MF or Superman: The Ride being #1 every year, El Toro being close but never number 1, and either CP or Europa Park being #1 park. I wish Mitch Hawker still did his poll, it was far superior and was based on what qualified enthusiasts think

Never concerned myself with the GTA. Mitch's poll, which is now MIA, was a much better indicator. Even that, though, is literally all subjective opinions. And even if you get a very well thought-out poll with many responses, it will never be an objective list, which I think enthusiasts want/expect with these types of polls. Besides my top 5/10, I've lost all interest in ranking coasters, and am more interested in enjoying them.

Here's my theory on coaster rating:

I don't like rating anything, especially assigning things a concrete value when it's all subjective. So many factors affect a coaster, from what time of year you ride, to how long ago you rode. They'll certainly be different experiences - especially if you're ranking based on only a few times you've ridden the coaster. There's a ton of bias involved. (Home parks, expectations that a certain coaster should be ranked highly)

I'd rather not try to give values to every coaster I've ridden. What really makes one better than another? I don't maintain a traditional top 10. I know there are certain coasters I really like, some that are okay, some that are absolutely horrible, etc.

If someone asks me what my favorite coaster is, I usually just randomly say one of my favorites.

However, I would agree that Mitch's poll was superior. I don't think GTA releases how their results are calculated, but the best part of Mitch's poll is that it's very well done from a Math/Statistics perspective. It assigned scores based on what coasters the voter actually rode. It was not just a popularity contest over which coaster had the most riders.

Sidenote, I saw someone commenting on Facebook who claimed he was one of the voters for GTA. He said he refused to vote for Carowinds because they were wrong for taking out Thunder Road. That should NOT be a consideration for rating a coaster.

Edited by Matt Kaiser

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's not a joke about the location of the awards winning, it's a joke about Cedar Point always winning.

I really think the Cedar Point love is starting to die down. Between lack of new coasters (As often as the Kinzel era), Lack of innovation, and questionable PR (Counting Pipe Scream as a coaster for example), Cedar Point has done alot of questionable things.

Look at what they posted after they didn't win "Best Amusement Park" in 2014 (PS, It's still on the site)

"Cedar Point is known for a couple of things. It’s known as the roller coaster capital of the world. But some just refer to Cedar Point as the world’s best amusement park. Cedar Point is an amusement park that brings people together through thrills. With 120-mph roller coasters that have 80-degree drops. An amusement park that, on top of roller coasters, has exhilarating thrill rides. An amusement park that has rides for the entire family and gives you water rides that make you wonder why it’s simply only the roller coaster capital of the world. And, of course, Cedar Point amusement park gives you great dining. What else would you expect from the roller coaster capital of the world? Or, as some say, the best amusement park in the world. Cedar Point is the place to strengthen family bonds and stomachs. Cedar Point. Thrills Connect."

That's like Blackbeard's Cave saying their the best amusement park cause they have a coaster, bumper boats, mini golf, and pirates.