VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

SFGAdv Fright Fest -- Nation's Worst Theme Park Halloween Event?

pashacar

I should have clarified that my intention was to evaluate the experience from the general public's perception. They probably don't even know Cedar Fair exists, so they don't know they're spending much less than at the competition. They just complain that they have to pay twice for trails.

Again, I've never been to a CF park for Haunt. I'm sure it's much better, but do you think the quality is proportionate to the increased cost over SF?

i.e. Using my calculations of $253 vs $325, Cedar Fair costs 28% more than SF. Is Haunt 28% better than Fright Fest with that increased income?

Or even just consider people who just want a season pass and scare pass: ~$118 vs $300, or a 154% increase. Is Haunt 154% better? Keep in mind a 100% increase in quality means it's twice as good.

It's all very subjective, but it's something to think about. After all, you're evaluating it's value/worth to you.

Although I have only tried a few trails at Dorney (only CF Haunt I have been to) over the years, I'm going to say no it is not 154% better for reasons even without having to have gone through all the mazes and trails. Blackout which appears to be their version of Total Darkness is Fright Lane only so you can't even go through the maze without paying around the same price as a season scare pass for Great Adventure and you can only go through the maze once. Also because there are less opportunities to visit Haunt, Sunday's except Columbus Day weekend are non Haunt days. Without Fright Lane you can't get into the Skeleton Key rooms either so you don't get to see everything in the maze or trail. There is also the no re-entry policy that isn't really posted everywhere like at Great Adventure. Haunt starts at 6, once you enter you can't leave and return. At least with Fright Fest you have until 8 so if you need to go to the car to get a jacket or forgot something else, you are still able to.

Personally I prefer having the Halloween attraction included rather than being upcharged for yet another season pass on top of the season pass I already have. Fright pass people can keep total darkness as those all dark mazes are cheap and lame. Also don't give a hoot about dining passes as I don't buy them, I go to park to ride, not eat. I either brown bag or wait till after park closing for fast food (the McDs by Dorney has a nice view overlooking the park), usually I have coupons for fastfood too.

As for the quality of the houses, Dorney's is well above GADV's, some of Dorney's mazes are near the quality of Universal's such as Horror in Wax, Trick or Treat, and Mansion House Hotel. Most of the standby waits are not long, Grave Walkers is almost always a walk on. The Haunt is much less crowded than FF with all regular rides being walk ons on Friday nights (GADV even the Tea Cups gets an hour wait, everything gets jammed combinded with GADV's slow dispatches), far less of a need for fastpasses at Haunt which is why they have the exclusive rooms

I thought the FF season pass was just a season long house admission pass to get you in, first time I heard of it also being a fastpass for them. With it being that cheap then many people would have it making the fastpass lines long anyway, at HHN even the fastpass lines are an hour long. How long is a FF fastpass line compared to a standby line at Haunt? Even then I dislike SF's nickel and dime approach torwards its customers.

Edited by The Master

You would rather pay more upfront than less for what you only use?

I rather pay more upfront for quality instead of paying up charges for basics. Most Haunt nights I have no problem doing all the houses in one night along with all the major rides before closing without a fast pass. The reason I don't do GADV houses is because they are not worth the up charges. Why pay for lower Quality when you can get better quality included? I really don't want to get into a argument over prices . FF does have better shows than other parks, but not the best houses or trails, especially for being up charged.

I just don't see the significance about it being "included" when you're paying a LOT more for it.

I don't get how paying upcharges for lower quality basics is good. Dorney's pass includes high grade haunted houses, GADV wants upcharges for haunted houses that are much lower grade than Dorney's with longer lines for all of its attractions. As Pushacar said, "the upcharge for the houses is a lot more than the quality justifies."

Meal plans and silly cups are a non factor for me since I don't purchase them, not everybody buys those add ons. I first started brown bagging at GADV because it took less time to walk to my car than to wait in line for park food, now I do it more because of the price vs the quality of their food but wait time is still a factor. At any rate, talks of meal deals and sports cups are red herrings, they are besides the point of this topic which is the halloween events themselves.

There are also some issues with your math, it is $192 if you are new, $186 if you are a renewal. $111 for a Gold renewal, Jr/Sr is $96. So that boils down $111 to $96 for Haunt vs $68+$40 being $108 for FF or $3 differece. However, since Dorney's rides are walk ons during Friday Haunts and GADV getting huge lines for even small rides on Fridays, you would need a Flashpass to match Haunt's shorter ride waits. An extra $40 each FF visit to match the Haunt's lower crowds and waits. This is besides Haunt's houses being much higher quality and the crowds being smaller and far less rowdy than FF.

Yoshi, you forget that Haunt is open Fridays in Sept when FF is not, FF is only open on Fridays in Oct. This is besides Haunt opening one week before FF.

Dorney

1276284_10151911949946788_2123083039_o.j

GADV

sixflags_october-77.jpg

Here is are some pics of Dorney's new Trick or Treat haunted house

Trick+Or+Treat+2.jpg

CPT8m2nVAAUIAWt.jpg

Edited by The Master

Yeah, you're right about those operating days. I guess the Friday's in September for Haunt and Sunday's in October for Fright Fest balance each other out. I liked a few years ago when Great Adventure was open on Friday nights in September too but understand why they got rid of them with the very low crowds.

Yeah, you're right about those operating days. I guess the Friday's in September for Haunt and Sunday's in October for Fright Fest balance each other out. I liked a few years ago when Great Adventure was open on Friday nights in September too but understand why they got rid of them with the very low crowds.

I remember the one year FF wasn't open most Fridays except the last two in Oct, that sucked. I think in may have been Shapiro's first year.

Edited by The Master

don't forget, if you have a cf platinum pass, you can go to any cf park and get the haunts FREE. a sf gold pass witht he upcharge for ff, you have to pay at every sf park you go to. so for a enthusiast that hits different parks. cf pass will be cheaper compared to a sf gold pass, and buying the ff at every park you visit.

• Like 1