VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Kings Dominion April 9th, 2016

bobbyd

This last Saturday, I went on a trip with others from my school to Kings Dominion for about 7 hours. When we

got there, the first thing I noticed was how cold and windy it was. I knew that this could either be a great thing because it will

scare away the crowds and there will be little to no lines, or it will be too windy and cold for a lot of different rides to operate

and there would even be a possibility of the park closing early. Well it turned out the combination of just the right amount of

cold and the wind made this an amazing day by scaring away much of the crowds. Even though some major rides were closed

for the day, or ended up closing later in the day, I ended up getting in lots of rides. I will let the pictures do the talking, but I will

give my ride count for the day here.

Backlot Stunt Coaster, Delirium, Grizzly, The Crypt, Ricochet, Bad Apple,

Eiffel Tower, Flying Eagles, Wave Swinger, Boo Blasters, Woodstock Express: x1

Volcano, Flight of Fear, Anaconda, Rebel Yell, Avalanche: 2x

I305: 5x (closed later in the day)

Dominator, Wind Seeker, Drop Tower, Hurler: Closed

On to the photos!

q0ipaLV.jpg?7

I welcome you to this trip report with the obligatory Eiffel tower/fountain/logo picture

rwiTZvB.jpg?3

Some nice theming at this Cedar Fair park to start the day!

YrSYzqv.jpg?2

Many rides similar to those in Great Adventures past can be found at Kings Dominion. This is the

parks Looping Starship called Berzserker. I never did get around to riding it today though

rYtZ5Uk.jpg?2

Overpriced Chinese food!

IqDEDON.jpg?2

Did I mention the park was dead today?!

j6UkHm1.jpg?1

Wave Swinger Swinging away

zixWYtE.jpg?1

The legendary singing mushrooms. They were recently brought back for the parks 40th anniversary, but I guess they have taken up

permanent residence at the park

GS9IKQ9.jpg?1

noted

5LbazPY.jpg?1

My first ride of the season!

QYn6b6G.jpg?1

It was so cold at the park, that they hosted the olympic bobsled time trials today! :P

yqWgf28.jpg?1

"all clear means you're out of here"

GAgCdqU.jpg?1

This water path used to be part of an old water ride that ran through the mountain where volcano now resides

ZsVvNtO.jpg?1

How much water can fit into a jeep? Tune in next week to find out!

Xr3Rt6y.jpg?1

The gates to heaven

aPqOs0O.jpg?1

Old

LLWEUBL.jpg?1

meets new!!

lLDEd9Y.jpg?1

305 feet of pure bliss

Ds4pURj.jpg?1

A train going down the second hill

na47Wk2.jpg?1

The exit to I305 lets you get really close to the ride

hGrQBug.jpg?1

Dale Earnhardt approves

P4DRqJR.jpg?1

Kings Dominion. Where you can launch out of a volcano, drive a nascar, and go to space, all while walking about 300 yards

6pJbAal.jpg?1

ooh aliens :Alien4:

QXN8sIg.jpg?1

Ready to launch!

After this ride I went to Anaconda

iSCyLVY.jpg?1

Through the trees

hnS489X.jpg?1

Surprisingly, this ride wasn't too rough

FjT0Elk.jpg?1

Sploosh!!

HGf57KF.jpg?1

After seeing that Great Adventure is paving their parking lot, Kings Dominion decided to build this parking garage right in the middle of the park! :D

WBnH9OT.jpg?1

Ride billboard, and train

9g4lQr7.jpg?1

For how small it is, Backlot Stunt Coaster is a fun ride that's perfect for families. Especially if all the effects are working

1wcRkd9.jpg?1
New for 2016, this new mondial frisbee

SrFnGO7.jpg?1

Its a very dizzying ride, and it actually goes up pretty high

KLshLP6.jpg?1
Delirium is a much better ride than Shockwave; the parks old stand-up coaster that was in this spot last year

y3pLiYp.jpg?1

Rebel Yell was rough both times I rode it today

3f9NUV2.jpg?1

A train full of cold riders

YFAPAum.jpg?1

Last month it was announced that Hurler would be closed for the season

Og09qIW.jpg?1

Que speculation for Iron Hurler 2017! Can't you just imagine a zero-g roll drop right there next year

KjCksuZ.jpg?1

Shrubbery tunnel

gHYB4Xv.jpg?1

The entrance to Grizzly is kind of strange. You have to walk through the Dinosaurs alive gift shop to get to it

6OaO7dc.jpg?1

Rawr!!!

XI5jJUt.jpg?1

Around 10 years ago, that was the station for Hypersonic XLC. You can still see some of the footers in this picture

cqmgfST.jpg?1

Its really hard to get good pictures of Grizzly since its buried deep in the Virginia wilderness

nNEWsIE.jpg?1

Wind Seeker was closed due to seeking too much wind

Zej5pgi.jpg?1

You can't forget the classics

j7wkLRA.jpg?1

If you need a rest from coaster riding, you can take a nice quiet car ride through the forest

wB4BB8D.jpg?1

Or watch the parade

9EfoxTy.jpg?1

Story time: In 1971 Apollo 14 went into space it brought along with it several seeds. When the seeds came back down and were distributed to different areas of the United States, one of the places that received seeds was Kings Dominion. This tree is from one of those seeds, giving this tree the honor of being called "moon tree"

kYhBTUG.jpg?1

At around 1 the park was still dead.

I made my way over to Dominator and saw that it was closed.

gB8xr9d.jpg?1

Loop De Loop

LfHHzhQ.jpg?1

Dominator never got the chance to dominate anything today

s0NrDYg.jpg?1

I believe the rectangles in the track were from a catwalk from when Dominator was over the water at Geauga Lake

RhDi3yf.jpg?1

I'm blue daba de daba die

cWwEYGO.jpg?1

Fun Fact, this ride opened up in 1974 one year before the park did in 1975

MQFtQet.jpg?1

The front side of water...

SfM5swx.jpg?1

I ended up eating at this nice little restaurant called Outer Hanks

PAPAwXF.jpg?1

Giant snoopy guarding over his area

1IrM4Ri.jpg?1

Dino Falls

YNqGgCk.jpg?1

The only crowd in the park today was in front of the theater because of this indoor cheerleading event the park was having

pg29cBP.jpg?1

Drop Tower was closed due to high winds today effectively killing the area around it

C0AgWKD.jpg?1

Don't worry Intimidator, I'll be back soon

tf6KvD4.jpg?1

I never rode this ride until today, and it was very fun.

cxtI1Lx.jpg?1

Kings Dominions Top Spin "The Crypt" has some cool water fountains

and..

enFZ8J3.jpg?1

FIRE!!

I went over next to the parks bobsled Avalanche and rode it twice. This ride is really fun, and also great for families.

ag9uPy6.jpg?1

I like how the ride goes over the path like this

r9JtSYO.jpg?1

Cool Dale Earnhardt car they have at the entrance to the ride

cgvfwQb.jpg?1

More twisty Goodness

soTXTFu.jpg?1

Happy riders

I then went up to the Eiffel tower to grab some pictures

4LevsI8.jpg?1

The wind up here was crazy

odV9eFq.jpg?1

I didn't want to risk dropping my phone so sorry about the bars

INzEK7t.jpg?1

Dominator sitting idol. Notice the lack of people on the paths

GNj2fkF.jpg?1

Some huge flowers

PORYHsR.jpg?1

WAIT... how did I end up at Busch Gardens Williamsburg?!?

qdNB4xl.jpg?1

Americana

0clSPWm.jpg?1

The parks 100 year old carousel originally from Roger Williams Park in Rhode Island

YeWz2sh.jpg?1

R.I.P Flying Wave

V0P9p0u.jpg?1

It seems that they old Great Adventure lion has made its way down to Kings Dominion for the day

bbCIMj7.jpg?1

It was stuck at this time all day. But you know what they say, "a broken clock is right twice a day"

For some reason, I went back to the Hurler area and took some pictures and rode Ricochet the parks wild mouse

JzVkYcS.jpg?1

I'm glad its getting a refurbishment cause it really needs it. Each time I have ridden it, even on the busiest of

days, it had no wait what so ever. Not to mention it was incredibly rough. I also hope they do something about

that large grey box they call a station.

RJZui4Y.jpg?1

Since everything around it is closed, I don't even know if people know it is even here

33dGWCg.jpg?1

Peace out!!

KdLj7Js.jpg?1

I like the do not touch sign

HSGsmxN.jpg?1

After walking all the way to Intimidator, it closed due to high winds when I was next in line. Oh well, so close yet so far away.

Dxv16Vm.jpg?1

My last ride of the day was the parks Shooting ride

tqZAbK9.jpg?1

For how out of the way it is, and how cheesy the theming is, it is still enjoyable in its own special way

S1jKioY.jpg?1

more giant flowers and birds

8SSOndV.jpg?1

At around six it was time to bid farewell to Kings Dominion after a wonderful day

Mogxcab.jpg?1

And I'll leave with this shot of Dominator from the parking lot

Thank you guys so much for reading this, I hope you enjoyed it.

Edited by bobbyd
  • Like 1

Great report and pictures. Seeing the pictures of the park really makes me want to go back since my last trip was in 2003 and the only credits I have are 1 side of Rebel Yell and the junior wooden coaster.

Great pictures! I went in 2014 and had a blast there, I love intimidator, I had such a hard time keeping my eyes open on that ride from the speed, especially in the front row lol

The ride isn't for me but I love the theme on the krypt, looks so much nicer then ads for twixs bars.

I also thought it was weird how you had to walk through the store to get to grizzly.

Edited by SatansHockey

Nice pictures, last time I was down there was 2002, when Hypersonic was still running which supposedly broke down every day. Outer Hanks used to be a Bubba Gump back then,do they still have a working Sim theater?

Nice trip report and photos. Makes me want to go back this summer when I visit my dad in Virginia (he lives about 2 hours south at Lake Gaston). Have not been there in a few years and every time we went to the park it was either mid June or Late August and crowds were small.

And even though we can visit for the day, most of the time we stay at the hotel on site and hit the water park the next day.

Beautiful photos and great trip report bobbyd! Looking through everything I just realized I haven't been there since 1988 when the bobsled was new. Time flies.

Dominator is one good looking ride. It just has a "wow" factor when you see it even though it isn't huge. I rode it when it was back in Geauga and really enjoyed it.

I am so glad you guys liked the PTR and thank you for all the compliments! I have always loved reading the trip reports from this site, and it feels

great to be able to share one of my own!

Kings Dominion is a very fun park with tons of things to do, and I highly recommend visiting it if you are in the area

I was supposed to go in 2013 as part of our school Williamsburg Trip but it closed; I wasn't really into thrilling rides at the time so I feel its all my fault and I wish we had gone

Great report and pictures. Seeing the pictures of the park really makes me want to go back since my last trip was in 2003 and the only credits I have are 1 side of Rebel Yell and the junior wooden coaster.

Agreed. My last visit was in 2004 and there's so much high-profile new stuff to do -- in addition to a clean and pleasant park. I will miss Hypersonic XLC, though....