VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Legoland amusement park in Upstate NY? Developers to pitch plans to town

29yrswithaGApass

Legoland amusement park in Upstate NY? Developers to pitch plans to town

By Associated Press

on June 13, 2016 at 1:50 AM, updated June 13, 2016 at 9:10 AM

Goshen, N.Y. — Developers are set to unveil plans this week for a Legoland amusement park in Upstate New York's Hudson Valley.

Officials with Merlin Entertainments are expected to give details about the proposed amusement park based on the popular plastic construction toy on Tuesday night in Goshen at a town board meeting.

Orange County had been wooing developers for months after Legoland scrapped plans last year to build in neighboring Rockland County.

Sources say the proposed Legoland would be built along Harriman Drive near Route 17, the Times Herald-Record reports.

Such a theme park would create about 1,000 jobs, bring in additional tax revenues and aid local restaurants and small businesses, county officials told the newspaper. The company reportedly was planning to invest $250 million in the Rockland County site before the project was scuttled.

Officials say they expect a formal announcement of the plans in Orange County by Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the Times Herald-Record said.

Legoland theme parks are located in California and Florida. They also are in Denmark, England, Germany, Malaysia and Dubai.

Legoland parks feature a number of roller coasters and other rides, but they are aimed more at families with younger children that those at other major amusement parks. The parks also feature a Lego miniland featuring landmarks made of Lego bricks.

Seems like an interesting location. Reading the article, is this instead of that plan for a Legoland Discovery thing in the meadowlands? Or were they actually planning a full-on park in Northern NJ?

New York has given Legoland about $4 million in grants as an incentive to remain in the state rather than go to northern New Jersey

With the success of Holiday in the Park and other parks in the area opening in November and December, I wonder if they would consider year round or close to year round operations.

Don't the LDC have rules? Like you cant go unless you have a child or such. I would assume those centers are on a much smaller scale than what they want to build in this article. I read in one report this is supposed to be the biggest LEGOLAND park once built

Don't the LDC have rules? Like you cant go unless you have a child or such. I would assume those centers are on a much smaller scale than what they want to build in this article. I read in one report this is supposed to be the biggest LEGOLAND park once built

Yes, you must have a child. However, they do have nights for adults only. (AFOLs / Adult Fans Of Lego)

• 2 years later...

The Dragon coaster looks better than I was expecting (looking at RCDB it is a Zierer Force 5),  from watching a POV of a clone in another Legoland, it appears to have a similar thrill level to Runaway Mine Train and Skull Mountain.