VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Was 2005-2006 the best six flags years?

mikewalters015

It seems to me and my memory that those were the best years GA ever had. The combo of rides and coasters that existed. Towards the end of 2006 seemed a lot of good rides were removed and the same thing in 2007. Since then we haven't had any great flat rides added and lost even more great coasters. I know that a lot of the rides and coasters were costly to keep running and growing old but instead of replacing them with great new rides they were just removed or replaced with so so replacement. Is it just me or was old six flags just better?

Edited by mikewalters015

As far as additions, it would be hard to top the attractions that were installed for 2005 and 2006. Hadn't the price tags and corporate debt been so high it would have been interesting to see what would have happened to the park had Six Flags had a healthier financial story. A hotel was in the works for the next season all in an effort to turn the park into a "resort".

As far as additions, it would be hard to top the attractions that were installed for 2005 and 2006. Hadn't the price tags and corporate debt been so high it would have been interesting to see what would have happened to the park had Six Flags had a healthier financial story. A hotel was in the works for the next season all in an effort to turn the park into a "resort".

Hard to top? How about 1999 and 2001

For KK, all of the old Bugs Bunny Land was removed as well as the SP entrance. For El Toro, Viper and Rodeo Stampede were removed for it. There was a long chain of removals that began not much after the War on Lines of 1999. However, it got really bad during the Shaperio years such as in 2006 the removal of the Hydro Flume which was a major loss.

Edited by The Master

I think '05 and '06 happened to have a good combination of older attractions on their way out and new attractions. Just by circumstance, those were two years I didn't have the opportunity to go to the park but I imagine to be able to ride Hydro Flume, the Chiller, and Toro all in the same day would have been amazing.

2007 was when the old Splashdown was removed along with Chiller. Its been 10 years and the park still only has half the water rides it used to have.

Off topic but how about a Mack Splash Battle themed to Looney Tunes in the Adventure Seaport area?

Call it "Looney Tunes Water Works"

Yes I do have alot of time on my hands

• 1 month later...

2007 was when the old Splashdown was removed along with Chiller. Its been 10 years and the park still only has half the water rides it used to have.

I wonder if the addition of Hurricane Harbor played a part in investing less in water rides? Also, some people (especially older ones) are not interested in getting wet at an amusement park, especially on days when it is not especially hot outside. Walking around with wet pants and footwear is not comfortable, and using lockers to change clothes is a PITA as far as I'm concerned.

That's why I like Saw Mill Log Flume and rarely ride rapids or splashdown boats at parks because I don't mind getting cooled off but getting completely soaked where it takes hours to dry off even in the summer isn't enjoyable to me.

For the original question, I didn't visit the park in those years but it must have been nice to be there right when Kingda Ka and El Toro first opened.