VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

4/2/17

Yoshi

When the park has opening day on a Saturday, if possible I try to go on a Sunday since crowds are usually lower. This year it was the opposite with Sunday more crowded since the weather was nicer.

I got to the park around 2:15 and all the food places near the entrance had a lot of people in line. I ended up going back to Totally Kickin' Chicken near El Toro since there were only a few people waiting. I wanted my first coaster ride of the year to be Nitro so I took the Skyway back to the other side of the park. Both sides of the Skyway were running which was nice to see.

Nitro had 2 trains running and was just under 20 minutes. Even though it was just over 4 months since my last trip to the park, it was nice to be able to ride Nitro again after the cold winter.

Skull Mountain had a long line and I heard it was running 1 train with about a 45 minute wait. It's not worth that wait so I went to The Dark Knight instead and then walked to The Boardwalk.

The Parachutes had all 4 sides open with no wait. I went to Green Lantern next with a station wait and back to Frontier Adventures. Runaway Mine Train didn't have much of a line but took longer than expected because only 1 train was being used while the other train got cleaned off because someone got sick on the ride.

El Toro was next with about a 15 minute wait.

I haven't ridden Kingda Ka since last March because the few times I tried to ride the coaster after that last year, the ride was broken down or the line was too long. Although I was looking forward to riding Zumanjaro, since it was closed Kingda Ka's line moved much faster and took around 10 minutes from entering the line until I was boarding the train. I was able to ride in the front row since there was an open seat and hadn't gotten the front row since 2014 or possibly even 2013. What a difference the front row makes compared to the other rows. It was a lot smoother and made the ride much better.

After dinner I walked back to Adventure Alley to ride Sky Screamer with a 2 cycle wait and walked past Skull Mountain again. It still had what looked like at least a 30 minute wait. I walked towards Nitro and saw the stairs to the station were empty so I'd take a 1 or 2 train wait at Nitro over 30 minutes for Skull Mountain any day. It was just crowded enough to have to walk around.

I saw in the Studio 28 Arcade, the popular Wizard of Oz arcade game is gone and has been replaced with a similar type game with a circus theme and instead of cards and chips that you take to the counter, the game dispenses tickets. I wonder if the park will still accept the Wizard of Oz cards that people were saving (since if you got all 7 characters, there was I think a 5,000 point bonus).

The trip to the park was a nice way to start off the 2017 season.

IMG_1891.JPG

Joker was closed all day.

IMG_1892.JPG

I liked the new prize selections at this game stand.

IMG_1893.JPG

And I liked these prizes even better.

IMG_1894.JPG

This was in Adventure Alley, it might be somewhat new?

IMG_1895.JPG

Of course I had to include a picture of my favorite ride in the park.