VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

100 minutes at Dorney Park, 9/29/17

Yoshi

I was basically driving right past the park on the PA Turnpike and decided to visit for a quick trip. Unlike past trips when I got there at opening and the park waited until opening time to start letting people in, the gates opened at 5:50 and you could walk to the entrance of a ride even though most rides didn't open until 6.

There were about 50 people at Talon but it was closed so I went to Hydra instead. After riding Bizarro last week, the difference is really noticeable with how much smoother Bizarro is.

The Whip had no one riding and was much better than Hershey's version with the rough floor.

Thunderhawk's front row has the handle bars much lower than the other rows and it's a little uncomfortable for taller riders. I normally don't wait for the front row but the station was completely empty and almost had a solo ride until the others in the train asked if they could re-ride. I was surprised when they were told yes but I also took the opportunity to re-ride since they were allowing it.

Steel Force was closed so I rode Possessed and Cedar Creek Flyers. Steel Force reopened after that and I waited 2 trains for the front. Steel Force is fun but not as thrilling as other hyper coasters.

On the way out of the park before using my dining pass to get dinner, I rode Wild Mouse that slammed into the final brakes and Talon with a full station.

Even though it really wasn't needed except at Wild Mouse, when I picked up my Fast Lane wrist band, they told me I could upgrade to Fright Lane with the Skeleton Key for an extra $15. New this year, the Skeleton Key rooms are separate stand alone buildings. One was near Steel Force's sign, another was near the building that used to be the hotel themed Haunt.

Demon Drop was also running. It was closed the last 3 or 4 times I visited the park.

If I had more time (I had to leave before 8:00), I would have gone for some more coaster rides and ridden a couple more flat rides but I was still satisfied getting 9 rides in that short amount of time.

IMG_3060.JPG.755874606428dec6a7b7141301eb050d.JPG

IMG_3061.JPG.6ebb78f6e217527517fdd1bcd5cf5617.JPG

IMG_3062.JPG.18a4a7fb70cf4f8d5543984842836ef0.JPG

I saw more people than expected wearing these. There were even a few people wearing them in line for Haunt attractions. I didn't think they would work for the mazes or trails since it seems like it would ruin the experience for those that want to get scared.

IMG_3063.JPG.9d03c4e6756f2a69def0edd386176b34.JPG

• Like 1

Maybe it's me, but I find it slightly crass and perverse that you have to pay $10 not to have your kids terrorized.  What a concept bit of emotional ransom.  Seems like a failure of both parenting and corporate merchandising.  If your kid is that terrified, leave them at home and skip the therapy bills later.  Or, you know, charge $2-3 for a cheaper trinket (or give them a freaking sticker for free).  

Most of the people I saw wearing the necklaces were adults, although there were not many kids in the park.

It could also be another way of the park trying to discourage kids from visiting Haunt. There are signs saying the event isn't suggested for kids under 13. Camp Snoopy closes at 5 or 6 and doesn't open at all on Friday nights. Other tame rides like Road Rally and Cedar Creek Cannonball are also closed. The sticker idea for free is a good idea for an alternative to the necklace, similar to the "Ghoul Repellent" whistles Great Adventure used to give to kids.

I personally don't like the Ghoul Repellent necklaces. It takes away the purpose of Haunt in which you're supposed to get scared by scare zombies throughout the park. What they should do is do remove the repellents and do something like Great Adventure does where the kids areas remain open and have areas where mostly families like to spend be scare free zones.

19 hours ago, Yoshi said:

It could also be another way of the park trying to discourage kids from visiting Haunt. There are signs saying the event isn't suggested for kids under 13. Camp Snoopy closes at 5 or 6 and doesn't open at all on Friday nights. Other tame rides like Road Rally and Cedar Creek Cannonball are also closed. The sticker idea for free is a good idea for an alternative to the necklace, similar to the "Ghoul Repellent" whistles Great Adventure used to give to kids.

Oh God, Ghoul Repellent whistles.  My head is hurting just thinking about them.

46 minutes ago, Lemur said:

Oh God, Ghoul Repellent whistles.  My head is hurting just thinking about them.

My oldest daughter was so against ghouls coming towards her she would blow her whistle at park guests that walked towards her LOL