VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #47: What is More Important? Looney Tunes or DC Comics

The Park has two main IPs and I want to know which you think is more important?

Looney Tunes (Meaning no DC Comics named/themed rides/attractions)

DC Comics (Meaning no Looney Tunes named/themed rides/attractions)

* The Non DC/Looney Tunes would still be built just with different IPs

I think Looney Tunes are more important. Cedar Fair, Paramount, Hersheypark, Busch and others show that you don't need a IP for every thrill ride/ coaster

If everything else was kept the same, I'd say DC is more important. CF, HP, Busch may show you don't need an IP for every thrill ride, but that wouldn't work for Six Flags unless they made other changes, such as improving their creative team (or forming one) and massively increasing the amount of their capital investments so that the new attractions speak for themselves. Until they make those changes, they need to piggyback on the popularity of the DC Comics IP to bring in guests.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Yoshi said:

Intellectual property

makes sense I wouldn't know since it had the word intellectual in it.....LOL

Are we talking specifically GA, or SF in general?  Because SF uses DC ride names all over the country.  I have no burning desire for LT.  I think that is more for the very young.

Edited by dougdrummer

• 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to What is More Important? Looney Tunes or DC Comics
  • 4 weeks later...

The "problem" with the Looney Tunes IP right now is that it's a bit stagnant.  Many of the old cartoons don't get air time anymore for a host of reasons (newer generations prefer newer animation styles and characters, the inherent violence of LT cartoons, the fact that they aren't in heavy syndication the way they were in the 1980s, their last real forray into recognition was Space Jam in the 1990s), so the character recognition on them is slipping.  Unless Warner Brothers breathes new life into that IP, I can see SF phasing out the Looney Tunes theming entirely in favor of more Animaniacs should that reboot on Hulu prove popular (which I hope it does, as I loved me some Animaniacs).  

DC's IP right now is probably more paramount.  DC has a stellar cartoon lineup, but their movies are ... well ... objectively speaking they make more than they cost to produce but they aren't nearly as beloved as Marvel's movies.  (In all honesty, I despise the DCEU movies with the exception of Wonder Woman and quite frankly, even that one suffers mightily from the DC house style - the dark and gritty color palette combined with the dated "bullet-time" SFX nearly ruined a really great movie.  But that's another rant for another time.)  As long as the DCEU exists, that IP will be prominent.

That said, which is more important?  Neither.  They're skewed toward two separate audiences.  You need a kid-friendly IP for your family areas and adult-leaning IP for the thrill rides.  They don't have to compete. 

11 hours ago, Lemur said:

The "problem" with the Looney Tunes IP right now is that it's a bit stagnant.  Many of the old cartoons don't get air time anymore for a host of reasons (newer generations prefer newer animation styles and characters, the inherent violence of LT cartoons, the fact that they aren't in heavy syndication the way they were in the 1980s, their last real forray into recognition was Space Jam in the 1990s), so the character recognition on them is slipping.  Unless Warner Brothers breathes new life into that IP, I can see SF phasing out the Looney Tunes theming entirely in favor of more Animaniacs should that reboot on Hulu prove popular (which I hope it does, as I loved me some Animaniacs).  

DC's IP right now is probably more paramount.  DC has a stellar cartoon lineup, but their movies are ... well ... objectively speaking they make more than they cost to produce but they aren't nearly as beloved as Marvel's movies.  (In all honesty, I despise the DCEU movies with the exception of Wonder Woman and quite frankly, even that one suffers mightily from the DC house style - the dark and gritty color palette combined with the dated "bullet-time" SFX nearly ruined a really great movie.  But that's another rant for another time.)  As long as the DCEU exists, that IP will be prominent.

That said, which is more important?  Neither.  They're skewed toward two separate audiences.  You need a kid-friendly IP for your family areas and adult-leaning IP for the thrill rides.  They don't have to compete. 

Not to mention that many today consider the older cartoons to be very politically incorrect, so to speak.

On 1/25/2018 at 1:07 AM, dougdrummer said:

Not to mention that many today consider the older cartoons to be very politically incorrect, so to speak.

Its why I hate PC. I remember the last few years Disney Channel showed the old Disney shorts, many were heavily edited to be PC and almost rendered unwatchable. I still remember how all the old Turner channels use to show LT as well as ABC and Nick, but they are hardly ever shown anymore which is sad. 

On 1/28/2018 at 4:16 PM, The Master said:

Its why I hate PC. I remember the last few years Disney Channel showed the old Disney shorts, many were heavily edited to be PC and almost rendered unwatchable. I still remember how all the old Turner channels use to show LT as well as ABC and Nick, but they are hardly ever shown anymore which is sad. 

If history doesn't fit your agenda, then modify or hide it.......pretty sad indeed....  :(

Edited by dougdrummer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, dougdrummer said:

If history doesn't fit your agenda, then modify or hide it.......pretty sad indeed....  :(

It's be a helluva lot easier if people just admitted it was racist, but instead they go through all kinds of mental gymnastics and claim it as their heritage.  I love me  some Looney Tunes, but yeah, there are some pretty racist episodes that are best viewed in the context of Jim Crowe or World War II propaganda.  That's the biggest issue, is that we're so lacking in proper historical education that the context of so many of these pieces is lost.  Also, when you actually know the context, they're really not all that funny anymore.   

15 hours ago, ericthewanderer said:

Is that the reason they don' show the Little Rascals movies anymore?

Because Buckwheat is an incredibly racist caricature?  Yep.

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, Lemur said:

Because Buckwheat is an incredibly racist caricature?  Yep.

Well we can't forget Farina and Stymie who came before Buckwheat.  Those characters are crazy racist but also a caricature of what people thought at that time.  PC may have done some good.

Its not just racism, but also dumbing down to fit with current PC views. I remember one Donald Duck short where the last few times it was shown on Disney Channel the ending was so badly re edited it became nonsensical. The original ending involved Donald disguising a heavy machine gun as a camera to get rid of a pesky bird that kept photo bombing his pictures. Of course the bird somehow is unharmed sitting on a lounger while Donald's expensive camera equipment is shot up, causing him to have a mental breakdown. In the re edited version, Donald just goes into a breakdown for no reason. Because guns are such a taboo subject now in some circles it had to be deleted and ruin the short. Sometimes when they show Back to the Future 1 on TV, they edit the scene where the terrorists attack Doc and Marty in the Twin Pine Mall parking lot. Especially the scene where Doc attempts to return fire with his revolver but realizes its unloaded. They also usually cut the parts where Doc surrenders and they shoot him anyway and attempt to kill Marty too when the terrorist's rifle jams. Heck, I even heard its taboo to use the term actress now, PC can be like a wild fire, once it starts it spreads like crazy.  

1 hour ago, Coaster Justin said:

Well this topic went a different direction than what I thought.

LOL Yes.

Lets just put pants on Donald and even Porky so we can clean this up.

Its hard to say what's more important without knowing the numbers but I believe that the merchandise sold at the park for DC outweighs the Loony Tunes merchandise but you wont see the DC characters doing the dance party and I expect the Loony Tunes have more people taking pictures than the DC characters so the Loony Tunes add more to the atmosphere of the park.  I think you need them both..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scott said:

LOL Yes.

Lets just put pants on Donald and even Porky so we can clean this up.

Its hard to say what's more important without knowing the numbers but I believe that the merchandise sold at the park for DC outweighs the Loony Tunes merchandise but you wont see the DC characters doing the dance party and I expect the Loony Tunes have more people taking pictures than the DC characters so the Loony Tunes add more to the atmosphere of the park.  I think you need them both..

I think you're trying to compare apples and oranges.  They point of the IP is to appeal to two separate yet complementary audiences.  They aren't competing.  But let's not inflate their importance either.  If you dressed the character staff purely in superhero outfits and put them front and center at the fountain, they're take as many pictures as the Looney Tunes characters.  I don't think anyone is showing up at the park solely to meet Tweety Bird or Batman.  They could drop all of the IP theming entirely and go with generic kiddie and coaster theming and the only thing that may show a downward tick in performance would be the photo sales, which they could easily make up with opening up a couple of closed ride photo stands.  

• Like 2

• 29yrswithaGApass changed the title to Gr.Adv.Debate #47: What is More Important? Looney Tunes or DC Comics