VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Dorney Park, 7/30/18

Yoshi

With all the rain this past week and more the rest of this week, I wanted to get another trip to Dorney in since the water park season will be over in 5 weeks.

The parking lot attendant did not scan my season pass and it was either that or the person at the front gate maybe not scanning my season pass either (I didn't really pay attention) that caused the pass to register as not being used for admission that day. I was able to get my Fast Lane Plus wristband without a problem and get lunch but I couldn't use my all season locker access or use a kiosk to order dinner. After going to guest services, they got someone to over ride the locker access for me when they saw I had the all season locker deal. They used the register at dinner to get the order to work.

Operations in Wildwater Kingdom were really inconsistent like usual. I saw people being allowed to wear aqua socks on the body slides, shirts allowed on the body slides, people wearing jean shorts allowed on slides. On some slides like Wildwater Rapids had a line that barely moved when a group of 4 or 5 people all wanted the yellow slide and the lifeguard at the platform didn't really try to fill the other slides.

On the ride side, Thunderhawk had 4 people checking restraints that helped the dispatches. Talon was back to slow dispatches like my trip just over a month ago. Crowds were low overall, not many camp trips and the threat of rain kept some people away even though it didn't rain while I was at the park. I focused mostly on the water park. This was my 5th trip to the park this season and I have yet to ride a few coasters more than once or twice.

Ride Count:

11 water slides

Wildwater River

Thunder Canyon

Thunder Creek Mountain, 2x

Talon

Steel Force

Thunderhawk

Wild Mouse

Less overall, in past years there were almost always 4 people checking restraints at Talon and Hydra. Now on more trips it has only been 2 people and it makes the operations noticeably slower. Thunder Canyon no longer has people sitting in lifeguard chairs throughout the ride and just 1 person watching the ride with newly installed cameras. 

I don't drive, but if I did, why would I drive an hour to unkempt amusement for a summer job? It's all corporate's fault that Dorney is failing. I don't know if the dorms will do much to the park's bottom line. Then again, I haven't been to the park in over 4 years.