VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Knoebels, 8/23/18

Yoshi

I haven't been to a park other than Dorney in over 2 months. It's either been raining or high temperatures and humidity most of the summer and with yesterday being cooler, I took advantage of that to get to Knoebels for the first time this year. Last year I also went to the park on the 2nd to last Thursday of daily operations.

I still had almost a full $20 ticket book from the Weis Markets deal last year ($20 ticket book for $16) and bought another $15 in tickets at the park since they were 10% off on weekdays.

Impulse was first. This year 2 trains were running and it was only a 5 minute wait. I like this coaster more than Untamed at Canobie and Fahrenheit because of the lap bars rather than over the shoulder restraints and because I like this ride's layout better.

I always look forward to the Flyers. The way this ride is run the perfect example of the difference between Knoebels and a corporate park. At Knoebels, the seatbelt doesn't go over your lap and the ride operator doesn't even walk around to make sure everyone buckled the belt. At Hersheypark, regular belts are used and the ride operator walks around to look and make sure it is buckled. At Dorney, in addition to regular belts, the ride operator walks around and tightens everyone's belts and you can't even unbuckle them yourself after the ride. The ride cycle at Knoebels is also at least 3 times as long as Dorney and probably twice as long as the ride cycle at Hershey. Unfortunately for my first ride, I was having trouble snapping and went back later where I was able to snap like crazy. It's great how Knoebels allows snapping.

Twister had a station wait. 2 years ago I found the double helix rough and this year as well as last year it was much smoother. I like how it has some large drops as well as lots of turns.

StratosFear was a new ride for me. With no stopping at the top and the top of the ride vehicle blocking the view, of the tower, you don't know when the drop is about to happen. It was way better than S&S Towers but Zumanjaro is still my favorite drop tower.

Phoenix is a ride that I had always thought was good but overrated. I got the first row of the 2nd car and I don't know if that made a difference or I caught the ride on bad days in past trips but I really liked the coaster much more on this trip. I felt like I was out of my seat the entire ride and some elements like the double down were great. It's not going to take over Boulder Dash or El Toro as my favorites but it's a top 10 wooden coaster for me.

The Log Flume is fun with 2 drops and just enough water splashing on you to get cooled off.

Black Diamond feels more like a dark ride than a coaster. It's still fun with a few drops and a lot to see. The rotating tunnel at the end was a little dizzying.

Haunted Mansion is now $2.50 to ride and not included with wristbands. It's well done for a non corporate park and like Black Diamond has a lot to see throughout the ride.

Flying Turns had about a 25 minute wait. Even though I had been on the ride twice before, it's always a cool experience to ride such a unique coaster and without the wheels attached to the track. If the capacity wasn't so low, it is something I would try to ride more than once per trip.

After going back to Twister, I finished the trip at Whipper. The cycle is much better than the Whip at Dorney it was nice to have the ride start right after everyone entered and was seated compared to Dorney where it can take 5+ minutes by the time the ride operator checks the seatbelts and sometimes  takes the time to wrap the slack of the seat belt around the lap bar.

Knoebels is a great park and a nice change of pace from the larger parks in the area.

IMG_4065.JPG.d4bd8e8f221e3a9516d56b054c4a9678.JPG

IMG_4067.JPG.b3107515877d33db05b546ab792a0849.JPG

I tried to get the train and sign in the picture.

IMG_4068.JPG.8996075b9c6eced8f2136c51987fc8d9.JPG

IMG_4069.JPG.66c275a945e4ec004c31adb121d98f7d.JPG

Such a great ride

IMG_4070.JPG.8c2f6ed5489491189a99209e689f8f3a.JPG

I like Impulse's sign lit up.

• Like 1

Thank you

I think Impulse feels a little out of place. The good thing about it is that the coaster is near one of the main entrances not near too many other rides with a store opposite of the ride. I feel like it was in the middle of the park surrounded by other older rides it would take away from the nostalgia more. Maybe something like a  relocated Schwarzkopf looping coaster would have been more in line with the other rides.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/24/2018 at 11:19 PM, Yoshi said:

Thank you

I think Impulse feels a little out of place. The good thing about it is that the coaster is near one of the main entrances not near too many other rides with a store opposite of the ride. I feel like it was in the middle of the park surrounded by other older rides it would take away from the nostalgia more. Maybe something like a  relocated Schwarzkopf looping coaster would have been more in line with the other rides.

You mean like when they had Whirlwind approximately where the Flying Turns is?