VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Kings Island Coaster Removal

Yoshi

The #RestInPiecesKI on the sign makes me think the ride will be cut up and scrapped.  I am leaning towards Vortex based on some of the wording and clues.

https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer/dont-waste-your-money/vortex-or-firehawk-the-kings-island-coaster-leaving-is

But wait, there's more. Two major clues can be seen in the photo tweeted by Kings Island.

• The R.I.P sign in the photo says "The air is eerily calm."  A Vortex is a strong wind, which may now finally be going calm.
  • The tombstone in the back of the photo says Czarnecki on it. Coaster enthusiast Curtis Moreland tells us that a deceased Polish scientist named Kazimierz Czarnecki studied vortex wind tunnels in the 1950's. Why else would the name Czarnecki appear on the stone in the mock funeral?

An article quotes King’s Island as saying the coaster reached the end of its service life.   Doesn’t sound like it is going to be relocated to at least any other Cedar Fair park. 

http://www.dispatch.com/entertainment/20180927/kings-island-to-close-firehawk-roller-coaster

In my opinion, the Vekoma flying coasters are much scarier than the B&M models because the first true test of the restraints is when the trains invert at the top of the lift.  At that point, if something is going to fail its a little too late because you are so high off the ground.  On the B&Ms you would simply fall to the station floor.

On 9/28/2018 at 7:52 PM, 29yrswithaGApass said:

In my opinion, the Vekoma flying coasters are much scarier than the B&M models because the first true test of the restraints is when the trains invert at the top of the lift.  At that point, if something is going to fail its a little too late because you are so high off the ground.  On the B&Ms you would simply fall to the station floor.

That would still leave a mark tbh.