VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Dorney Park Replacing Island Water Works

Yoshi

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/whitehall/mc-nws-dorney-park-island-water-works-20190718-3ff3eetfa5gghanmerjezh73zi-story.html

The multilevel Island Water Works, a featured fun spot at the summertime recreational destination since 1998, will be replaced this winter with an updated version, Vice President/General Manager Mike Fehnel said during the Board of Commissioners meeting Wednesday in South Whitehall Township.

“It is time to renew it,” he said.

Island Water Works wasn't in the best condition. A lot of the faucets and other features no longer work. I'm guessing the new version will probably have some slides attached like more modern play areas.

I remember playing on it when it was brand new, I was 12 back then. Wonder if the new one will still have the water gun batteries and targets? Splash Zone in Wildwood also looks a bit like Waterworks.

14 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

It looks like it was from the Nickelodeon years!

IslandWaterworks_75e08d77-5056-a36a-0715

Dorney has been owned for Cedar Fair since '98 or so, thus it was never owned by Paramount. I did see something about Dorney get parts from another park or something (not Cedar Fair, but another park, or at least somewhere)

1 hour ago, Pineracer said:

Dorney has been owned for Cedar Fair since '98 or so, thus it was never owned by Paramount. I did see something about Dorney get parts from another park or something (not Cedar Fair, but another park, or at least somewhere)

I didn’t mean that it was from Nickelodeon or Paramount.  Just that it looked like it.   

18 hours ago, Yoshi said:

https://www.mcall.com/news/local/whitehall/mc-nws-dorney-park-island-water-works-20190718-3ff3eetfa5gghanmerjezh73zi-story.html

Island Water Works wasn't in the best condition. A lot of the faucets and other features no longer work. I'm guessing the new version will probably have some slides attached like more modern play areas.

If they do add slides, wonder if it will take the lifeguards 20 minutes between dispatchs like with most of the existing slides there? 

The dispatches being inconsistent depending on the lifeguards seem to have been a problem for years. There was one lifeguard at the Boa Blasters/Constrictor that was doing a great job making sure all the slides were being used as frequently as possible (asking people further in line if anyone wanted an open slide). Sadly, that seems to be the exception. Most of the time, if 1 or 2 people want the same slide, they will just let the other slides go empty until that group has finished while the other slides are not being used. I have hardly gone to Patriot's Plunge this year because of it.

21 hours ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

It looks like it was from the Nickelodeon years!

I never noticed that before but now that you mention it, it does look like something from Nickelodeon.

I hardly been to WWK this year, only 3 times. That is a problem with having dislmilar slides on the same platform, picky people chosing only one while the less popular chutes go empty, backing up the line. Coastline Plunge at Hershey has a similar problem, through not as bad since each chute has its own lifeguard rather than share a single guard like WWK. Generally its better to have slides sharing a platform to be mirrors of each other to cut down on picky people. 

Moreover, WWK has its lifeguard perform overcomplicated routines with each dispatch that wastes time and backs up lines. At WWK, with each dispatch, the lone lifeguard most walk across the platform, unhook the railing chain to let the next guests in, then rehook the chain, walk across back the platform to their dispatch position, then dispatch the sliders, then walk back to the chain to load thr next sliders. That extra time really stacks up in a few cycles and really slows lines done. Most other water parks don't have their lifeguards walking back and forth across platforms to fumble with chains every slide cycle like WWK, which also didn't use to do just a couple of years ago. 

Edited by The Master