VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Knoebels, 8/23/19

Yoshi

I went to Knoebels yesterday for what has become an annual trip. It was exactly a year ago since my last trip to the park.

I normally buy tickets at Weis where you can get a voucher for a $20 book of tickets for $16 but the GPS gave a different route that didn't go past it so tickets were purchased at the park at a 10% discount since it is a weekday. Ride prices have increased since last year. Phoenix, Twister and Impulse are still $3. Flying Turns and Black Diamond each increased $0.50 from $3 to $3.50 for Flying Turns and $2.50 to $3 for Black Diamond. Smaller rides increased $0.25 such as the Giant Flume going from $2 to $2.25. Prices are still very reasonable especially compared to other parks that offer a pay per ride option such as Morey's Piers and Fun Spot.

Twister was more aggressive than I had remembered. Like last year it was smoother compared to some past trips.

I used to think Phoenix was overrated. Not anymore, the air time was incredible. I felt like I lifted out of the seat more than I was sitting down. Even with air gates added, dispatches were fast like almost every ride in the park.

Flying Turns was fun but the ride is really short. I still prefer Flying Turns to Avalanche at Kings Dominion even though Avalanche has a better track layout because Flying Turns is so much smoother.

Giant Flume is a good log flume with 2 drops and a lot of winding trough between the first drop and second lift hill.

Black Diamond barely counts as a coaster but has a lot of theming to look at with a few small drops. The rotating barrel at the end is a cool effect.

Flyer is one of my favorite rides in the park. It's great that the vehicles are loaded, you clip the seatbelt and the ride starts not like a corporate park where every seatbelt is checked, tightened and then you can't even unbuckle the seatbelt yourself (Dorney). The ride cycle was really good too. Unfortunately, I couldn't really get too many snaps in, just a couple towards the end of the ride. I usually have no trouble snapping these flyers where it takes almost no effort.

After going for another lap at Phoenix I went to Whipper. The cycle had to be 3 times what Dorney's Whip is and no seatbelts.

Impulse was running 2 trains. I prefer Impulse to Fahrenheit because of the lap bars. The ride vibrated almost the entire time but not enough to ruin the ride.

The park was starting to get really crowded when I was leaving because of Bargain Night. That is from 6 pm to 10 pm and allows you to buy a wristband for $12 that works on all rides except Phoenix, Twister, Impulse, Flying Turns, Haunted Mansion and I think the Skyride.

I may try to go back to the park again this year during the Halloween event when there are cheaper wristbands and ride the coasters more.

IMG_5334.JPG.6290b2b9f6801194c37aed7a6d603f34.JPG

Carousel Museum. There is also a mining museum and Knoebels History museum all free to visit.

IMG_5337.JPG.b1744f0042528c1231a28d9ea973d3f2.JPG

Why can't all flying scooter rides be as great as this one?

IMG_5340.JPG.80f3c6f38457044c03f09e0887a4a281.JPG

Bald Eagle exhibit

IMG_5343.JPG.96e9aed2bef89a28dbf7c57a2c74d454.JPG

IMG_5344.JPG.82fd997ceb2e88b52edbd87e2333ca62.JPG

I like how Flying Turns has an observation area where you can get really close to the ride area.

IMG_5345.JPG.11cc6781bd63d917e343cb91b47ff293.JPG

IMG_5347.JPG.89a7ae8234f81e6e279946e5cef8e24b.JPG

Nice trip report!  It was good to hear you had a fun time.  

Have you you ever been at Knoebels at night (in the dark)?   I have always left before sundown so I have never experienced the park in the dark.  I would think the wooded setting makes it cool.  Your mentioning Bargain Nights made me think of that.  

Thank you

I have never stayed late enough to see the park at night. I agree it would be cool. Maybe if I go there again this year I'll try to go on a Friday night or Saturday since they are only open until 5:00 on Sundays in October.

30 minutes ago, 29yrswithaGApass said:

Nice trip report!  It was good to hear you had a fun time.  

Have you you ever been at Knoebels at night (in the dark)?   I have always left before sundown so I have never experienced the park in the dark.  I would think the wooded setting makes it cool.  Your mentioning Bargain Nights made me think of that.  

To me, Knoebels at night is a whole different experience.  The park feels so alive.