VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Rocky Glen Park Returning?

Yoshi

https://www.timesleader.com/top-stories/769856/heart-of-the-valley-with-a-heart-committee-looks-into-possible-return-of-rocky-glen-park

It may have closed in 1987, but Rocky Glen Park still has a sizable impact on the hearts and minds of the people of the Wyoming Valley. Open in one form or another for more than 100 years, it entertained generations of people in the area and has spawned hundreds of “Remember when?” discussions.

But what if it were to come back? That’s what a new committee created by the Lackawanna County Commissioners intends to find out.

Multiple members of the committee acknowledged that the theoretical new Rocky Glen will not be able to compete with what they deemed “mega-parks” — we aren’t likely to see another “Million Dollar Roller Coaster,” at least not right at the beginning — so the focus would be finding how to make it something the community can rally behind.

Even if the new park was small on the scale of something like Quassy, it would still be good to have another park option. I occasionally drive past the old Rocky Glen park area with the sign still up and makes me wish I could have visited the park, just like how I never got to visit Willow Grove Park previously living less than 15 minutes away from where it was since the park site has been a mall my entire life.