VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

2019 Theme Park Attendance Report

29yrswithaGApass

The new 2019 Theme Park and Water Park attendance report is out.  Click HERE to see the full report.

Six Flags Great Adventure ranked as #18 with 3,451,000 visitors (up 1.5% from 3,400,000) making it #2 in the Six Flags chain between Magic Mountain (3,610,000) and Great America (3,169,000).  Great Adventure sits between Seaworld San Diego and Hersheypark.

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor NJ ranked as #13 with 482,000 visitors (up 1.5% deom 475,000) making it #3 in the Six Flags chain between SFHH Marietta, GA (526,000) and SFHH Splashtown - Spring, TX (475,000). 

2019-Theme-Index-web-34 copy.jpg2019-Theme-Index-web-35 copy.jpg

2019-Theme-Index-web-38 copy.jpg2019-Theme-Index-web-39 copy.jpg

The Six Flags Q4 2019 earnings call transcript contradicts all of the TEA AECOM numbers.  The legacy parks were flat on attendance in 2019 and only grew attendance by 65000 people across the chain.  Attendance declined at Magic Mountain and Mexico vs 2018.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/02/20/six-flags-entertainment-corp-six-q4-2019-earnings.aspx

Attendance grew by 788,000 to 32.8 million guests, an increase of 2%. Our six acquired parks contributed over 90% of the increase and their attendance for the year totaled 2.8 million guests. Our legacy parks grew attendance by 65,000 or less than 1% to 30 million guests.

Most of our attendance decline was due to softness at our two parks in Mexico and at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Los Angeles. The majority of this decline occurred late in the fourth quarter. Our parks in Mexico experienced two issues. The first was austerity measures put in place by the new President, which significantly reduced government sanctioned school group visits to our park. The second was an unfortunate accident at a nearby theme park which has negatively affected people's desire to visit any theme park in the area. At Magic Mountain we experienced poor weather, nearby fires, and a delay in introducing our major new ride, West Coast Racers, which did not open until after Christmas. Collectively, these items had a significant impact on our fourth quarter and full-year attendance.

On 7/18/2020 at 8:46 AM, Medusa42 said:

The Six Flags Q4 2019 earnings call transcript contradicts all of the TEA AECOM numbers.  The legacy parks were flat on attendance in 2019 and only grew attendance by 65000 people across the chain.  Attendance declined at Magic Mountain and Mexico vs 2018.

https://www.fool.com/earnings/call-transcripts/2020/02/20/six-flags-entertainment-corp-six-q4-2019-earnings.aspx

TEA numbers in the past have apparently been off by as much as 7 digits. I've heard that Hollywood Studios is very inflated.

On 7/18/2020 at 6:46 AM, Medusa42 said:

Is it me, or does the Six Flags Q4 2019 call transcript actually contradict itself?  The first sentence in the first paragraph says... "Attendance grew by 788,000 to 32.8 million guests, an increase of 2%."  But the first sentence of the second paragraph goes on to claim attendance declined saying...  "Most of our attendance decline was due to softness at our two parks in Mexico and at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Los Angeles."  Which is it?  Overall attendance increased or decreased?  I get that the legacy parks only increased 65,000 year-over-year, but that's still an increase and occurred despite declines at Magic Mountain and Mexico.  So,  clearly, other legacy parks were up, certainly significantly enough to cancel out the declines at Magic Mountain and Mexico and adding an additional 65,000 in attendance.

Edited by Daved Thomson

2 hours ago, Daved Thomson said:

Is it me, or does the Six Flags Q4 2019 call transcript actually contradict itself?  The first sentence in the first paragraph says... "Attendance grew by 788,000 to 32.8 million guests, an increase of 2%."  But the first sentence of the second paragraph goes on to claim attendance declined saying...  "Most of our attendance decline was due to softness at our two parks in Mexico and at Six Flags Magic Mountain in Los Angeles."  Which is it?  Overall attendance increased or decreased?  I get that the legacy parks only increased 65,000 year-over-year, but that's still an increase and occurred despite declines at Magic Mountain and Mexico.  So,  clearly, other legacy parks were up, certainly significantly enough to cancel out the declines at Magic Mountain and Mexico and adding an additional 65,000 in attendance.

Each paragraph is from a different part of the transcript.  The first paragraph is discussing  full year 2019 performance and the second paragraph is discussing Q4 performance, where attendance declined by 202,000 or 3%.

19 hours ago, Medusa42 said:

Each paragraph is from a different part of the transcript.  The first paragraph is discussing  full year 2019 performance and the second paragraph is discussing Q4 performance, where attendance declined by 202,000 or 3%.

Thanks for the clarification.  Sometimes what little blond hair I have left on my head causes some real dumb blond issues below my scalp.