VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Seasonal Theme Parks Going to Year Round Operations

GAcoaster

3 hours ago, The Master said:

One thing to mention is that most of the debate took place a month ago during a mild Jan as 29 pointed out back then. However, in the meantime Feb was the opposite with consistent below normal temps and frequent heavy snowfalls. The month had a steady 7 inch snowpack on the ground. This past month was a harsh one and be difficult for a outdoor park to remain open through. 

I think the most I got was 3 or 4 inches one time. I think I live 20 miles south east of the park

We are pretty lucky here closer to the ocean

Edited by scott

21 minutes ago, scott said:

I think the most I got was 3 or 4 inches one time. I think I live 20 miles south east of the park

We are pretty lucky here closer to the ocean

I live about 25 miles south west of the park and I had consistent 7 inches of snow until recently. Any time it began to melt it was replenished by weekly 3 inch snow falls. Most of it is finally gone now but I still have some 6 inch piles lingering in the shady spots. The meltwater from them has flooded my backyard leaving it and my gravel driveway a deep muddy mess. My 4x4 pickup can barely get through.  

The idea is open the park when possible (temps are within certain range, no snow), and close the park on the weekends it's not the right call to be open. The parks which are open do that just like they do the rest of the year. If the weather is bad, they close. If the weather is good they open. 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Sesame Place, SeaWorld San Antonio, Six Flags Magic Mountain, Six Flags Fiesta Texas, and Six Flags Over Texas have all been "open" through the winter, but then close when they get snow, ice, and extreme temperatures. Just like spring, fall, summer, when the weather is bad it keeps the guests away, so it doesn't make financial sense to open. When the conditions are dangerous, they close.  

I think the whole idea of the off-season will disappear-- but with the understanding by guests and the park that it could be hit or miss operations based on weather. 

The only drawback I see is the off-season maintenance of some attractions will just become "seasonal refurbishments" like all the year round parks do, but as it is many attractions at Six Flags parks can sit for months or even for a whole season in refurb.