VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Old Fright Fest decorations

This was a topic I wanted to start last month but the site was unfortunately down for much of Oct. Better late than never. The early years of Fright Fest saw wide use of paper cutout decorations that used to be everywhere, in store windows, at the entrance gates, on operator booths, etc. Here are a few from the web that I remember the park once used. Many were classic Beistle paper diecut decorations.   

s-l300.jpg

1480735290beistleskeleton.jpg

I have one of these.

s-l300.jpg

311cd99465dd727897810ff80ae8783a.jpg

Vintage-Beistle-28-Jointed-Halloween-Pum

I remember they used to have jointed pumpkin men like the one above in the back of the old Musik Express.

When I think of FF I always think back on these guys who used to be a stable of the event. 

Edited by The Master

Oh yeah, especially the Halloweekends and early years of Fright Fest those used to be all over the park. I think as they spent more on the event with Time Warner and Premier and really made it the Fright Fest we know today they kind of phased those out. 

I remember going to Six Flags America and noticing they were using a lot of those kind of decorations, but it seemed like their budget for Fright Fest overall was lower.  

I would like to see them in the park again as the midways are kind of bare with Halloween decorations anymore. In general holiday cutouts are not as common as they used to be and are hard to find in brick and mortar stores. 

The park also used to have lots of giant vinyl spiders and bats, similar to this. 

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcSgLoZAFWUq1PYnwOQ2w

Many of the lamp posts and plant hangers would had bats on them. Bad thing about vinyl decorations is that they eventually rot away. I keep mine stored away from any UV light during the off season to extend their lives. The park had two sizes of bats, a medium size and large size. The larger ones seemed to me to just have been upscaled molds of the smaller ones. 

Another once common staple for FF in the park were "Blucky" blow mold skeletons.  

261303-95b15033ab9f072c5c9b9485bb98957f.

These also used to be all over the park in various tableaus. They used to place one in the old fighter jet outside of the Right Stuff which is currently in GL's queue and in the old hanger office inside the simulator building. Moreover, these skeletons have fragile tabs in their joints that can snap off easy or the holes easily enlarged so the tabs pop out. They still make them with some improvements such as more realistic skulls and hands.     

Edited by The Master