VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Miscellaneous Mumblings

Thrill-Pics

Well, today was the last day Dinosaur Encounter was opened here at the Staten Island Zoo! I worked in there from 10:30-4:15 (it closes at 4). I got all choked up when I gave my final tour. I admit, I'm going to miss it. But, it turns out, the local news advertised the hell out of this, and it was packed! So we were working like crazy. Though I was by myself the last hour. I was not in a good mood either becaus people wouldn't behave. And I kept making announcments being serious but using a sarcastic tone by sayind, "For the safety of yourself, the people around you, and the dinosaurs, please don't lean, sit, climb over or under the chains! And do NOT touch the dinosaurs. You can fall and break the chains, dinosaurs and yourself! And I DONT feel like filling out accident reports!"...is it sad that I actually said that more than 5 times? And the chains got knocked down 4 times today! UGH! But, what ever, I will miss DE.

The funniest part is the one in China isn't even a Vekoma. It's a Vekoma knockoff by a Chinese company.

Are you sure? I only thought there was one knock off and that this was it.

p20896.jpg

Shenzhou Coaster at Beijing Shijingshan Amusement Park built by Beijing Shibaolai Amusement Equipment

This is what Screamscape said about it:

China - (1/4/08) You can find a press release blurb at ParkWorld from Golden Horse Amusement Rides (China) about how they installed their very first inverted coaster not long ago to a new park in Wuhu City and that the model was nearly identical to a similar Vekoma made layout. Looks like we found the maker of Flare Meteor / Fireball.

(1/2/08) A couple of news updates on the strange accident in China have come out this morning. One gives the name of the ride as “Fireball” which I took at first to indicate that it may have been a Fireball / SuperLoop style flat, but this was incorrect. Then a reader sent in this article that if you wait long enough for the picture to download over the article (it could take a minute or two) you can actually see a picture of what looks to be a custom Vekoma inverted coaster stuck upside-down on the second inversion of a Cobra Roll. While this coaster seems to look like a custom Vekoma SLC style ride, possibly similar to the one’s Vekoma created for two Happy Valley parks (Golden Wings in Snowfield and Snow Mountain Flying Dragon) RCDB believed this to possibly be a fake clone created by a Chinese company. The direct translation of the ride symbols are Flare Meteor (which pretty much means Fireball). The park is called FantaWild Adventure and apparently it just soft opened this past October. This appears to be a new small chain of FantaWild Adventure parks, with parks listed as going to Chongqing, Shantou and Wuhu. The parks are designed with the Hytechnology company we’ve seen at IAAPA for the last several years who apparently finally got to build that Dino Rampage themed version of Spiderman they’ve been pitching for years at the first park in Chongqing. They’ve also made their own version of Disney’s Soarin ride too it seems called Sky Sailor.

Not much is known about the new Wuhu City park yet, but you can find a wider shot of the park featuring the entire coaster here. I’m still wondering what they used for the “manual control system” to bring the coaster back down again… throwing a rope to the people in the front and giving a good tug?