VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Saying goodbye.

With the uncertain future of the GAH forums and that they may close down soon, it might be a good idea to post our goodbyes to one another and the forums while we still can. I certainly have had a good time here and will miss this forum and I apprecate the years of Harry's fine work on covering the history and current happenings of GADV. In case I don't see everyone here on some other format in the future I wish to say goodbye.

I will hopefully get to post a few more messages on other threads here before things close down. If there is anything anyone else wants to post in this or any other thread onnthe forums, better do it now. 

Edited by The Master
  • Like 4

I also am going to miss the forum and will also say goodbye to anyone not on other coaster forums if a new forum on Discord or somewhere else isn't made as was being discussed in the other thread. It was a great place to discuss Great Adventure and amusement parks and roller coasters in general. The spotlights were always enjoyable to read as well.

I still post occasionally on ThemeParkReview and CoasterBuzz with the username YoshiFan but lurk more than post on those sites.

• Like 2

It feels like only yesterday that Great Adventure History was just a small page within AmusementPics. Then the original Evolution spotlight was posted and the seeds were sown for something that would very quickly outgrow even AmusementPics. And when it was announced that a dedicated forums would be added, you can be damn sure that I was gonna be there on day one! 

Those first five years was easily my golden age over here, especially since the forums coincided with my gradually becoming the roller coaster/theme park enthusiast I am today. While I may not post here as often as I did in the beginning, I still always made an effort to stop by and read whatever updates and news gets posted here! And with the double blow of both Harry's passing and the impending shut down of the forums, I feel like a part of my childhood is disappearing into the abyss. The GAH Forums may fade away, but the memories I've had on this site over the years never will.

Goodbye everyone. And may the greatest of all adventures never end!

• Like 5

I've participated a decent amount of forums in my day (not a big social media guy otherwise), but none have had the staying power that this one does. While I still retain an interest in the subject matter of those other forums, I admittedly barely peruse them anymore, and when I do, I don't bother logging in. Great Adventure History is different. Even when things were slower, it was always pure elation to see a solitary new post in a spotlight from 10 years ago and know that (a) someone was discovering/enjoying it for the first time, (b) a brilliant sleuth wanted to inform us that the ride or something similar to it had been found in a different location, or best of all, (c) a "New" photo or piece of information from something that hasn't been in the park for decades had somehow been unearthed. I'd often go on a spree of reading the original spotlight (plus several others) again in instances like these.

The amount of work and care that has been put into this website is simply astonishing. The ability to learn something new about one of my favorite places on earth every single day is not something I take for granted. I absolutely love it.

To reiterate what's been mentioned above, the group of people here are also unlike any other. Harry and Tom (and certainly, by extension, the rest of you) have cultivated a community based on trust, respect, and pleasantry. There are never any personal shots taken, disagreements consistently result in common ground, and simply put, I think that everyone here genuinely likes one another. We may just show up as usernames on a screen, but this is one of those rare instances where everyone can pretty easily be identified as more than that. This is a special place, and the thread we're posting in demonstrates that.

I truly hope this isn't goodbye, but "see you on the other side," whatever that other side may be.  But just in case I don't get another opportunity to say it, I wish you all the very best in life. Thank you for making this adventure so great.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Welp shit, I hate goodbyes. I much rather it be a “see ya later” but lets be real, there is no other site quite like this one that id spend that amount of time on. This one truely was special. Harry was so dedicated to this site & preserving the history of GA, it breaks my heart to think its gonna disappear. It was so cool to be able to look back at my teenage years & beyond spent at the park through all the pics & reminisce whenever i picked up my ipad(a tab with it was ALWAYS open). And to be able to join in convo where literallly everyone, was cool af. An occasional wingnut would surface but would ultimately be taken care of pretty quickly. So many other sites are snarky or filled with drama, this one was different. This site honestly felt like home. For that, Harry, Tom, and everyone on here, thank you ❤️ 

• Like 2