• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Check out our Extras - Joust A Bout album for several interesting blueprints taken directly from Schwarzkopf's original documents used by Great Adventure!

Many thanks to our good friends in the park's PR Dept for giving these blueprints to GreatAdventureHistory.com and allowing us to share these with our members! :)

gallery_2_43_48094.jpg

Kudos to the Great Adventure Team for granting access to their archives. The "Joust-A-Bout" was one of my favorite "flats" in that park as a kid. It provided nice amounts of "floater air" when they ran it in the forward/reverse cycles. Kind of a shame Six Flags didn't contract additional models from Intamin (the Inheritor of the Schwarzkopf Catalog). I loved watching the twinkling yellow bulbs at night.

"Da Vinci's Cradle" at Busch Gardens Williamsburg is a similar ride, although it was a single "boat". It's been more years than I'd like to admit since I've last been there. At the time, "Da Vinci's Cradle" was an airtime machine.

Also, I use to love the optical illusion the four smaller arms (without the boats attached) gave to the ride especially at night.
I always loved the light-up panels on the sides of benches and the little tassels around the roof.

I also loved those aspects of "Joust-A-Bout". The dueling boats were fun. I forgot about the tassels and the alternating red/white bulbs above them. Someone really needs to have Intamin bring back these classics!

I would imagine it would be cheaper to buy a new one, than refurbish that model. "Joust-A-Bout" has been sitting dormant and exposed in the boneyard for years. The cost to repair the motors, electrical, and control systems would cost a small fortunate at this point. Granted, I'm speculating. The park maintenance staff and Intamin would assess it and make a decision. Current management shares no passion for "flat" rides. Like B&M Rollercoasters, Mr. Shapiro doesn't feel they add value to the park from a marketing standpoint. I refer to this as the no "Tilt-A-Whirl" edict, based on comments Mark made regarding "flat" ride removals from Magic Mountain. As far as I know, SIX has yet to purchase a new "flat" ride, or operate the currently owned rides on a regular basis.

I still think Intamin AG is missing a huge opportunity by not reintroducing these models.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
I know this probably isnt the right place for this, sorry in advance!

So i just bought a new hair gel, got2b glued, and at the bottom of the bottle it said schwarzkopf. Is this schwarzkopf affiliated with the flat ride schwarzkopf?

http://www.got2b.schwarzkopf.com/

I saw the ads in the park and I was trying to imagine him, after getting tired of coasters and flat rides, deciding just to make the hair gel people wear to keep their hair in place on his rides.

QUOTE(scipiomask @ Feb 20 2011, 05:06 PM) I saw the ads in the park and I was trying to imagine him, after getting tired of coasters and flat rides, deciding just to make the hair gel people wear to keep their hair in place on his rides.

thats be pretty sweet! laugh.gif

• 3 months later...