VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags Power Plant History

29yrswithaGApass

I visited the Six Flags Power Plant in Baltimore's Inner Harbor when it first opened. It looked impressive inside - very Jules Verne like. There were only a handful of attractions with the most memorable one being the "Sensorium". It was a 3D move that made use of seat movement and vibrations as well as a whole host of smells including roses, skunks, and hot dogs. Those types of movies are pretty common today (often referred to as 4-D) but this one was really ahead of its time. The other attractions made use of special effects and were either shows or exhibits/walk-thrus (no rides).

Gary Goddard Entertainment, makers of GA's Glow in the Park Parade, did the design work for the Six Flags Power Plant.

I have heard that at least one of the masks hanging up in HH are from the old power plant. Sadly I never saw either in person since Power Plant was just before my time and Auto World was open when I was 2.

Edited by The Master

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 10 years later...

I loved The Sensorium attraction.  It was really ahead of its time with its 4-D effects- even Disney didn't have them yet at the time.  I remember one of the scenes was at a carnival/circus and some sort of ringmaster character extended his hand towards the audience and you could smell the hot dog he was holding.  The film had a catchy little song too.

• Like 1

I thought I already mentioned this but I ate at the Hard Rock there once. Spring 2013 sticks in my mind. I would spend the night on Constellation in Spring 2017-I have two goofy videos on my YT channel from that (but not on the ship).

• 3 years later...

Over on Twitter/X, Eddie Sotto who did a lot of the design work for the Power Plant has been posting fantastic concept art and info about it:

His account is amazing with lot of great background info on the Power Plant and many other projects he worked on. He was a big part of the Euro Disney design team and has been posting tons of stuff about that park in celebration of it's 30th anniversary. 

• 2 months later...

I been wondering if this concept can be revived, I mean, sony already opened up wonderverse & the fact barnes & nobles has left the power plant so would it made sense if this building can be a place like six flags power plant again

It was a concept that didn't offer enough to do for the price. The issue with any kind of "indoor theme park" concept is the pricing for tickets has to match the number and quality of attractions offered. I think the park at American Dream has/will have the same issue over time.