VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags Theme Park Marquees

29yrswithaGApass

I haven't been to all the Six Flags theme parks, but I have noticed at the ones that I have visited that the entrance marquees vary from park to park. Each is unique, some probably inspired or leftover from when Six Flags Corp didn't concentrate on chain-wide branding as much as they do today. (Which is a good thing!)

I still have to find my photos from Magic Mountain and SF St Louis. If anyone has entrance signs from these or other Six Flags parks, feel free to share them. An album has been set up HERE.

gallery_2_475_424592.jpg

gallery_2_475_425122.jpg

gallery_2_475_966710.jpg

gallery_2_475_799295.jpg

gallery_2_475_314344.jpg

gallery_2_475_738516.jpg

gallery_2_475_568950.jpg

gallery_2_475_796117.jpg

gallery_2_475_289118.jpg

(Six Flags Over Georgia above.)

I don't particularly care for any of them, however I would have to say the Great Escape sign is the best. Great Adventure's sign looks like the entrance to an office building, not a theme park. It doesn't represent the park itself in any way.

But it's sure better than New England and Kentucky Kingdom, they are awful. But the worst is the last one, what park is that?

SFNE has a great one that's larger and much grander than the one above. Ever since they switched the main parking lot to the back one, though, that small sign is the main one that people see. I think SF America's is my favorite of the ones here, which is ironic, since it is supposed to be far and away the worst park.

Ours is certainly one of the best, but it's still sorely in need of an update. The look of the tiles and the silver letters is dated, the fountains no longer work, and the Safari and Hurricane Harbor add-ons look cheap and tacky (not to mention that the logo it sports hasn't been used in over a decade). Hopefully one of these seasons they'll build a whole new sign that stays true to the theme of each of the property's attractions while bringing in a fresh, new look to the entrance. I really love the update they gave to the parking lot toll plaza a few years back, so maybe an update to this sign in a similar style is not too far behind. The one thing I think they should maintain from this sign is the size--I LOVE how huge and grand it is, and I wouldn't want any less to welcome guests to their big, exciting Great Adventure.

I missed seeing the old lion sign that was at the entrance in the beginning. It was supposed to be at the Station after the Safari but I asked and some little guy told me they took it down? I have a trivia question for all of you. Do you know the reason there are 6 Flags, and what flags are they ?

I missed seeing the old lion sign that was at the entrance in the beginning. It was supposed to be at the Station after the Safari but I asked and some little guy told me they took it down? I have a trivia question for all of you. Do you know the reason there are 6 Flags, and what flags are they ?

The original park was called Six Flags over Texas for the six countries that once ran it(Mexico, US, France, Texas, Spain, and Confederacy). After two more six flags parks were added with still the same principle, it just ended up being a catcy name. The actual GADV flags on the marque and at entrance were originally on Main street when it opened to represent the 13 colonies. Years later, only six flags remained and the rest where used for the entrance?

Actually, when the Avenue of the States (the "new" park entrance) was built in 1976, it had the flags of all 50 states as part of the Bicentennial celebrations.

Eventually the Six Flags were added to the front gate area and the rest of the flags poles removed.

For many years, the "official" Six Flags were Texas, Georgia, Missouri, California, New Jersey and Illinois which were the six states that Six Flags parks were in at the time. Generally some variation on that is what is displayed at most Six Flags parks today, with one of the flags being replaced by the state flag for wherever THAT park is located, or they fly generic colors or Six Flags banners, or American Flags (especially at holidays).

• 1 month later...

I like the signs for SFMM, SFA, and Great Escape. GAdv's southbound entrance sign is okay but I don't get to see it much since I use the northbound entrance most of the time which has a really crappy and small sign on a post!

Interesting thread. I'm a little surprised with all the copied rides, shows, and names they don't have a unified sign style at all the parks. I seem to recall trip reports form teh Paramount parks and they are using the same basic signs for the entrance sign.

There's two entrances?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

There's 3 that I know of, since I drive north to GAdv and pass the lake I go by GAdv's employee entrance (1), then I pull over to go in the northbound side entrance (2) which is not marked very well. Just a lame little sign on a post, but it does bypass the overpass most of you guys drive over. The 3rd entrance is the main one for you southbound guys with the big sign and overpass. If you ever drive though the Safari and took the route to go back into the park then you would have driven though the side entrance that I take.

There's 3 that I know of, since I drive north to GAdv and pass the lake I go by GAdv's employee entrance (1), then I pull over to go in the northbound side entrance (2) which is not marked very well. Just a lame little sign on a post, but it does bypass the overpass most of you guys drive over. The 3rd entrance is the main one for you southbound guys with the big sign and overpass. If you ever drive though the Safari and took the route to go back into the park then you would have driven though the side entrance that I take.

any pics? I've never seen it

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot about another one of my favorite signs, Fiesta Texas'. It's similar to ours, but it has water fountains that still work, and it's set in front of a beautiful quarry wall with cascading waterfalls. They also painted it red (from the same blue as ours) a few years ago which I think adds a lot to it.

Here's a pic: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:SFFT-Entrance.jpg

Edited by pashacar