VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags Great Adventure Closing Early

ThemeParkRider

Have you ever gotten mad because Great Adventure closed early without warning? On friday, 10/16. I checked the website, and it said open until 11:00, but the guard at the gate told me the park would close in 40 minutes, 8:00. :( The next day, I got the same message by the same guard. It was plenty crowded, and only a little drizzly, but it till bugged me that they didn't have an excuse! Has this ever happened to you? :mellow: Have you ever tried to check the website but it was inacurate? I was told to call the place, but I just don't want to pay the toll....

The park ALWAYS reserves the right to close early. If attendance is low (especially in bad weather) don't expect the park to stay open. It costs a fortune to run a park, and if there aren't enough people there spending money, it makes sense to close. The website is never the final word on last minute decisions like this to close, and that's why there is the following message on the site:

PLEASE BE ADVISED

Due to weather conditions and other circumstances, operating times and dates of events may be canceled, delayed, or changed without notice.

I was shocked they stayed open until 7 today. I was expecting them to close a lot earlier or not bother opening at all.

Last night I kept checking the website to see if the park was closing early since I was just curious. I was going to go until the last minute when I decided I didn't want to take a chance on getting sick plus riding coasters in 30's wind chill and possible rain didn't sound like much fun.

Even calling doesn't work all the time. I remember Family Fall Fun Night last year lots of people myself included called the park earlier in the day and even as late as an hour before the park was supposed to be open and everyone was told the park would be open 5 - 10 as planned. They ended up closing at 7:30 and I remember lots of people posting that they got to the park after 6:30 or so and barely had time to ride anything and others who go there after 7:00 were turned away completely. When I got to the park a little after 5, the guard at the entrance said they might be closing as early as 6. I wasn't that mad because it was still one of my best trips to the park but I feel bad for those who drove to the park for 1 or 2 rides or drove there for nothing and were turned away.

Edited by Yoshi

Yeah I was one of the unlucky people who didn't get to go in at all that day last year. With all the bad weather they have been forecasting I figured going to any of the parks would be a lost cause this weekend. Every Oct there always at least one weekend that's a washout like this, it's are lot in the northeast crappy weather.

The closing at 8:00 on Friday didn't bother me so much, since I expected it, even though GAdv is the only park I know of that regularly uses this unprofessional practice. What really got me was that just about everything in the park actually closed at about 7:40, and management didn't seem to care at all. There was a lot of managerial apathy and unprofessionalism on Friday, and I don't think that inclement weather or low attendance is an excuse for that.