VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Information Centers

GAcoaster

When I went through the slides I got developed the other day, I found a picture of one of the old map boxes that were around the park back int he late 80's/early 90's:

gallery_500_191263.jpg

These were taken care of by Show Operations, and we had to update the show schedules, change clock batteries and make updates on these all the time. We got fresh maps each season, and unlike the maps sold in the park, we got rolled maps so they wouldn't have the creases in them (although they were exactly the same maps).

There are still a couple of these in the backstage area of the park near Wardrobe and Cash Control, but now they feature info for employees.

i liked how they did this, plus it did seem to waste less paper because it stopped people from always getting maps and leaving them / losing them around the park. it kept the park cleaner i would imagine. when we would walk the the q-lines there would always be 15-20 maps on the ground, times that by every ride, thats alot of paper!

One initiative I applauded Mark Shapiro on was returning the poster sized maps in 2006. Sadly, they seem to be gone again.

I believe these "Information Center" kiosks appeared in 1988 under Park GM Ray Williams. Prior to that, the park used wooden "hooded" poster boards that weren't lit, placed sparsely around the park. Harry has a few of the latter pictured on the site (though I forget in which collection or spotlight).

I wish there was a way to contact Ray Williams, and get his take on the park and company as a whole. He saved Great Adventure from closure, and I think he could provide an interesting take on the current state of both the park and Six Flags. I think an interview with Larry Cochran and Kieren Burke would also prove intriguing.

Edited by Thunderbolt

I believe these "Information Center" kiosks appeared in 1988 under Park GM Ray Williams. Prior to that, the park used wooden "hooded" poster boards that weren't lit, placed sparsely around the park. Harry has a few of the latter pictured on the site (though I forget in which collection or spotlight).

Here is one:

gallery_2_43_1550342.jpg

And, that picture has one of the parks hundreds of "butt urns" that were placed along the pathways for people to put their cigarettes in. It's amazing how much has changed in such a short time...

That was the duty of some of the Grounds team to scoop out the butt urns every day and add fresh sand. Every morning we (in Show Ops would be pulling our wagon through the park with costumes/and or map box supplies, and they would be pulling theirs with a big sand bag and scoops.

It's funny, Operations was also responsible for selling cigarettes in the park through the vending machines, as well as cleaning them up.

And, that picture has one of the parks hundreds of "butt urns" that were placed along the pathways for people to put their cigarettes in. It's amazing how much has changed in such a short time...

That was the duty of some of the Grounds team to scoop out the butt urns every day and add fresh sand. Every morning we (in Show Ops would be pulling our wagon through the park with costumes/and or map box supplies, and they would be pulling theirs with a big sand bag and scoops.

It's funny, Operations was also responsible for selling cigarettes in the park through the vending machines, as well as cleaning them up.

That is one thing from the old days I am glad is gone, but there are still alot people who light up outside the smoking areas in GAdv. I remember those old metal map boxes from all those years ago.

The park is a 1000 times cleaner since they introduced the smoking areas, and security will eject you if your caught outside the box, from what i understand the park could be held responsible for a hefty fine if people are outside the box smoking and no action is taken. Working on GASM this past year i know several people have been tossed gor smoking in line. and i dont feel bad for them getting kicked out, follow the rules stupid people!

This past FF teenagers were hanging out in Nitro's line, they were not waiting in line, just hanging out in the queue to smoke. This happened about 3 different times last year. Smoking is not nearly as widespread as it used to be but people try to hide in the lines or restrooms to smoke now.

Edited by The Master