VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Playing Games of "Skill"

29yrswithaGApass

I was looking through the Halloween/Fright Fest Spotlight and something sparked my memory. Back in the 80s I won one of the stuffed witches seen below although it wasn't playing the game pictured (I think it was the milkcan game). I no longer have the witch. I sold it at a yard sale years ago to a guy who had an antique car collection. He wanted to put it in the driver's seat at one of the car shows. I can't help but think she is driving around the midwest somewhere with another plush prize just like Thelma and Louise!

19910132.jpg

^lol

One of my favorite games is the one where you have to push the bowling ball on the rails over the hump and get it to 'saddle'. I remember going to Wildwood with my parents when I was about 8 or 9 and winning the game on my first try. I won a picture of a Lamborghini which is probably still in my parents attic.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I worked in games from 1983 to 1988. Used to try them all before the park opened or after it closed. Very rarely was I able to "win". I could stand there all day with the hula hoop and never get it around the square block unless of course I used the full size hula hoops which we only gave out for a little while to get some prizes circulating in the park! I still remember a rainy day in early June where I was managing an area in the games square. Had a bunch of new employees and since there was no one playing any games, had them cleaning up their games, fixing the plush, etc. About 30 minutes after I asked everyone to clean up, I saw a large and growing crowd over at Bowler/Roller. EVERYONE was winning. Turns out my overeager employee had waxed both the bowling balls and the rails!!! Everything looked great, but it was almost impossible to lose as the ball would go over the bump and just spin in the win zone. My supervisor at the time (Mark Kane ) would not allow me to shut the game down until we had given out every prize that was in the stand and on the wall!!

• 2 years later...

I played a game like that at a school fair, it was really difficult to get the bottle not to tip over when you lifted it up. The prizes for that game at the park must have been really good.