VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Playing Games of "Skill"

29yrswithaGApass

I rarely play any of the games of skill at Great Adventure primarily because I stink at them. Occasionally, I will take advantage of a season pass coupon or special offer and give one or two a try at the end of the season.

The only game that I can remember ever being decent at was Frog Bog- the one where you catapult a rubber frog into a lily pad using a rubber mallet. That game always seemed easy to me.

Is anyone good at any of these games?

Frog Bog is probably my all time favorite game. Whenever we are down the shore I will rarely play games but I always search out the Frog Bog game for at least a couple of plays. For me it's usually a guaranteed win for me in some manner.

Other than that the only ones I have ever had much success with the ring toss. Now and then I get on a hot streak in that game and it's great.

Pretty much anything else I stay away from because once I start I have a hard time giving up until I have won at least something no matter how small. I do the same thing with the season pass coupons. When I spend some time in the boardwalk I will use the coupons in my season pass to get me some extra plays or some sort of discount. If they are gonna get my money for nothing I might as well stretch it right lol.

I do have to say though that I sometimes get jealous of the poeple who walk around the park with like bags full of the prizes from the stands, while I have like a little dolphin the size of my hand. My brother is the perfect example there. Him and his friends are notorious for winning those basketball games where you make a couple of shots and win like a $300 Jersey for a whopping 10 bucks a pop.

In the late 80s a friend and I went to Busch Gardens "The Old Country" and he was obsessed with trying to win a three foot tall stuffed Big Bad Wolf which was the prize for getting a hula-hoop around it (and the square wooden base upon which it sat).

He invested a fortune trying to win and was getting more and more aggravated with each hoop. After about a half hour I got tired of waiting for him and decided to try it. I purchased three hoops for $5 and by shear beginner's luck got the hoop successfully around the wolf and base with the first toss. Needless to say he was a little p.o.'d.

It was a great source of ribbing for the rest of our trip!

That's awesome. Don't you love how that happens. Sometimes all it takes is one shot, and other times it's like you can't get it even close.

I have easily watched more than one friend spend more money trying to win something, than it would have cost him just to buy the thing in a store or gift shop. That is when you know someone is getting a little too obsessed but it can be comical when things work out the way they did for you.

• 2 weeks later...

The arcade's slot machines aren't really a game of skill but I can remember a guy emptying all the machines by continually hitting the triple BARs. He must have memorized the sequence of symbols on the wheels and because you hit the button to stop the reels individually, he made sure the BARs were lined up each and everytime. He would hit the BARs and move on to the next machine while his wife would collect the winnings. He made his way completely around the arcade and did this machine after machine. They had buckets of tokens. This happend in 1980 and on my next visit the rules had changed and a maximum limit of winnings was posted in all the arcades. The prizes were pretty good in those days and he had won enough to select almost every major prize.

I won enough for an ice-crusher one season when I was little. It was great for making snowcones. :)

• 1 month later...

Fascination draws interesting crowds. I remember my mom wouldn't let us even walk into the Fascination parlor at GA. The people who play it tend to sit there chain smoking (notice the built in ashtrays).

A few years ago I went into the Fascination parlor at Cedar Point before they took it out (I think it became Johnny Rockets if I'm not mistaken) and it was a scary place...

CP19.jpg

I haven't seen one at a park in a long time now ( I could also be completely blind to them) so it is possible. Don't worry within a few years I am sure we will see a new crazy come to pass in a more advanced electronic way. With the technology of VR games and consoles like a Wii the possibilities are endless right now for new arcade installations.

• 5 months later...
Did anyone here play or win ANYTHING this season?

The only thing we played this year were the "Claw Games" in back of the Wii Experience. They are only 25 cent's to play, and a few of them are "tight" claws. You can win just about every time. Just look for the one's that are more empty than the other's. The one's that are full, the claw's are way too "loose" to grab anything.

20064354_small.jpg

I liked this game allot as a kid. Wow, it's been a while since I've been allowed to play games at GAdv.

Flipper's Fascination at Wildwood is allot of fun. Here's a dark clip of us playing 8 Ball Cover All/Speedy Bingo if you can make it out.

Edited by darkridedan

Last weekend I got super lucky and won on the Game that you toss the big wiffel balls and they have to land on the colored holes for a win. In 5 Balls I got the "large choice" (SFGA looney tunes pillow) and 2 medium choices (some weak little "Diva and Princess pillows") but 3 outta 5 aint bad!

Did anyone else notice the drastic change in prizes for the hole in one putting game outside the balcklight mini golf? Used to be like $10 to play and a fifty foot putt made got you your choice of some pretty cool prizes such as ipods, televisions, and other stuff. Now the game costs much less and you get some stuffed animal for winning. I found it interesting. Maybe the PGA tour rolled into town and wiped them out :P

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I won an Underdog doll in a claw machine game in the Studio Arcade in Movie Town last season.

My friend Mace won something (can't remember what) on the Boardwalk next to Nathans in June.

The thing he won was huge. Like a big Stewie from Family Guy or something.