VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Food in the park vs. bringing your own

digidaze

Is it worth it to buy on of those meal deals online? Do any of you keep a cooler of food and drinks in the car and head out to the parking lot for lunch? What are the options. I imagine the park food is sub-standard at a high price! I'll keep a water bottle on me and fill up at water fountains. THat's possible, right? I'll be there on a Friday or Saturday if that makes a difference.Thanks for any opinions, especially from you vets!!

Honestly, the food in the park is pretty good for the most part. The meal deals online can be a pretty good savings for the restaurants they're good for. We did a family meal deal with the chicken strips when we brought a big group and it was plenty of food and delicious.

You can bring stuff and keep it in a locker or your car, but I feel like it takes away from your day at the park.

You absolutely can bring a water bottle and keep refilling it, but the souvenir bottle for $13.99 gets you unlimited refills of soda all day long and if you're spending a full day at the park it can be well worth it, especially if you're sharing. Considering drinks are $3-$4 each, it only takes a couple of refills to make it pay for itself and now the rides have souvenir bottle holders you don't need to rent a locker for it each time you hit a coaster. I'd just recommend bringing a piece of ribbon or something you can put on your bottle to mark it since they all look alike in the holder and often people will grab the wrong one.

If you decide to eat in he park, I recommend Best of the West for burgers, Mama Flora's for Italian, and Ichibahn for Asian. The rest of the food is pretty standard park food, but those places have better than average food and you'll feel like you got your money's worth if you eat at any of them.

I eat at the park all the time and bring people to those restaurants all the time and we are rarely disappointed. Just be prepared for lines on a Saturday during regular lunch and dinner times, and maybe try to hit them in the off hours.

itd be a WISE decision to skip both Johnny Rockets and Primo Pizzeria. JR has pretty good burgers but a soda and a burger(which automatically comes with fries your forced to pay for) will set you back $20, plus since the burgers are made fesh after ordering the result is a fresh good tasting burger, but not worth the normally LONG wait for your meal(and others meals)to be cooked. It'll set you back over $20 and 20 min just to recieve your food from ordering. BTW i'm talking weekdays AVOID AT ALL COSTS on a weekend or else you'll be there the entire day. Primo's Pizza is that expensive or that bad(but FAR from good, in my opinion. Tastes like really good microwave pizza), but just like GAcoaster i suggest going with some of the park's unique unspecialty, and UNBRANDED foods places such as Best of the West, Granny's , Ichaban, Granny's or Character Cafe. There the prices are that bad and the food is always good or better

There might be some legal problems with that, but its a good thought. I usually bring food and leave the park for lunch if I'm staying the whole day, mostly because the lunch lines are huge. I just eat dinner late at the good restaurants mentioned above. Unfortunatelly, I have a friend that will only eat chicken fingers from Johny Rockets... uh, its annoying.

Dining should be an "experience" at a theme park, just like the rides and shows. Unfortunately Six Flags does not understand this concept and have chosen to just offer the same food, in the same restaurants, that you can get at the local shopping center. The original restaurants, built before Six Flags, were great. I always eat at Best of the West because of the atmosphere, which I think has been ruined by the LCD screens which they did not have in the old west. I used to love getting ice cream at the Yum Yum Palace, which had a great turn-of-the-century soda fountain atmosphere, but they ruined that by gutting the interior, painting it dark and gloomy, and calling it the Character Cafe.

• 4 months later...

Generally amusement parks only allow baby food and food items brought for medical reasons. That said, coolers and lunch bags with anything more than a snack will probably not be allowed. There are lockers outside the park and a picnic area so you can eat if you bring a cooler. There are restaurants across the street on Harbor Blvd, lots of people go there. Plus there is food other than burgers at Disneyland, there is a Mexican style restaurant that has pretty good food, they also serve pasta, pizza and salads at a place in Tomorrow Land. <br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; "><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: arial, helvetica, clean, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px; ">So that said, don't bring a bag of Subway sandwiches and be shocked when they don't let you in with it.

Yeah it would take too much time to go back to the car at the Magic Kingdom by the time you exit the park, take the monorail and then the tram and have to take the tram and monorail back to the park.

I rarely eat at Great Adventure (twice in over 50 trips to the park since 2008). I usually don't stay for more than 4 or 5 hours so I either stop at WaWa before or after going to the park.

I think all the WDW parks would be bad to walk back to the car for packed meal. MK would be the worst, EPCOT and AK would be pretty bad since those two are huge parks. Universal would be hard as well with the long walk back to the parking garages or hotels, their resort boats can take some time too. DL you would have to take a tram back to the parking garages, but you can easily walk to outside vendors. Also with DL I see alot of people walking around with food brought in from outside the park. I guess they aren't strict about no outside foods as th east coast parks. Hershey is bad to walk back out to your car for lunch due to the park's layout. GADV, HH, and Dorney are pretty easy to brown bag lunch in your car.

• 2 weeks later...