VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Disney Teams with James Cameron to Create Avatar Attraction(s)

GAcoaster

From the Disney Parks Blog:

We have great news to share today. At a press conference happening right now at Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs just announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney Parks. And it’ll all begin at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.ava234098SMALL.gif

James and his producing partner Jon Landau and their team at Lightstorm Entertainment will serve as creative consultants on the project and will work side-by-side with our Walt Disney Imagineers as we dream up experiences that will take our guests deep into worlds of AVATAR like never before. There are also two sequels to the record setting first film in the works, which will offer more fascinating stories, characters and locations to explore in the AVATAR universe. Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.

The design phase on the Disney’s Animal Kingdom project has just begun so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details.

Got questions about the announcement? If so, Tom Staggs will be answering them in a special Q&A blog post later today. Just submit your name, city where you’re from and your question to questionsfortom@disney.comand then check the Disney Parks Blog later to see some of the answers.

I think this is one of the dumbest things I've heard of in a while. It should have been at Studios if they really want to do it since it's a MOVIE. They would have been much smarter to finally build Beastly Kingdom at AK. While the first movie was a HUGE hit, it's no guarantee the sequels won't kill it. Remember how everyone loved The Matrix, then the sequels under performed and kind of ruined the whole thing.

Disney should be smart and actually use WDI for what they do best, create UNIQUE things. When's the last time they created something like Pirates or Haunted Mansion. They created amazing attractions for Tokyo Disney Sea that had no connection to flash in the pan films which they could easily duplicate or improve upon to create a really unique set of attractions and finally make AK a REAL Disney park.

I think this is such a great idea! However... I think this ride would best be suited at universal studios. Universal haas the greatest themed rides imaginable. And after the Harry Potter section adding an Avatar like part of the park would be amazing!

But that's it...Universal is designed to be a collection of movie themed attractions. That's why I say it would have been a better fit for DHS. Although, I''m sure they probably couldn't add it there because of their deal with Lucas for Star Wars and Indy.

Also, Universal dropped the news about Transformers coming to USF to take away some of Disney's thunder for today's announcement. It wasn't a surprise they'll duplicate an attraction from USH to USF, and they must have known Disney's plans (there are few secrets in this industry).

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, Harry...

I am not a big Avatar fan so my opinion about this is somewhat skewed. I am a Disney purest so I tend to frown upon outside properties being used in Disney parks. (For example, the Marvel acquistion has me "concerned".) I think the Avatar franchise is too new. While Avatar did great at the box office (mostly because of the increased revenue for 3D) I don't believe it is "loved" by fans and deserves a prominent place as a major Disney attraction let alone a whole new themed area. It is not as if the film (and future sequels) have become mainstream classics that make them worthy of a place in a Disney Park. At least when Disneyland introduced the Star Tours and Indiana Jones rides at Disneyland both were considered highly regarded modern classics. They should have invested in the Beastly Kingdom instead!

I think this is Disney's answer to Harry Potter. I just think that Animal Kingdom is a really bad fit...

Yeah Disney is trying to compete with Universal by making its own movie themed ride, but come on? No one beats Universal at movie rides. (non-Disney movies) I believe Universal would have more creative opportunities since its geared to a more mature audience while Disney is geared towards the kids.

I am not a big Avatar fan so my opinion about this is somewhat skewed. I am a Disney purest so I tend to frown upon outside properties being used in Disney parks. (For example, the Marvel acquistion has me "concerned".) I think the Avatar franchise is too new. While Avatar did great at the box office (mostly because of the increased revenue for 3D) I don't believe it is "loved" by fans and deserves a prominent place as a major Disney attraction let alone a whole new themed area. It is not as if the film (and future sequels) have become mainstream classics that make them worthy of a place in a Disney Park. At least when Disneyland introduced the Star Tours and Indiana Jones rides at Disneyland both were considered highly regarded modern classics. They should have invested in the Beastly Kingdom instead!

Well said, and you summed up my thoughts pretty well... especially regarding Marvel.

While I think this idea will probably work, I agree with GAcoaster that an Avatar ride should go in Disney's Hollywood Studios and not in AK. Though AK can still stand any new rides it can get since it is still skimpy on rides.

Edited by The Master

I'm not surprised Disney sought out avatar and I do think it has a lot to do with both Harry Pottor and Transformers. I think it would have been better fit for Disney Studios, but do to the true message of Avatar that of being one with your environment and to respect nature and its creatures it's a goof fit for Animal Kingdom. I did want ot see Beastly kingdom but Universal already added atheire version and Harry potter still fits the same theme in dragons and other fantasy/mystical creatures.

One thing to keep in mind they say themed land but we don't know how big of a land. AK is a huge park they have a lot of free space and I also know they have been looping to fill the temporary Camp Mini Micky. Pandora may be smaller like the Toy Story lands added outside the US. It may be a 10 acres or so area with One major ride, a couple minor ones, and a lot of themeing. they still have room for Beastly Kingdom. down fall is we will not see this open till 2014 or 15.

While I'm not sure Avatar is a great idea, I do think the Animal Kingdom is the best place for it. Suggesting it belongs in a "Studio" park because it was a movie would suggest most Disney attractions should be at Hollywood Studios. Most Disney attractions are based on Disney films. where they fit depends on the subject matter. This theming is what Disney does very well. Six Flags could learn a lot from them, instead of throwing a bunch of things together that are completley unrelated and calling it "Movie Town".

I do believe Avatar is a bit of a gamble. It seems the movie has been pretty much forgotten, and if the sequals do not ignite much interest, they could wind up with a large attraction that noone cares about.

Though if you look at Animal Kingdom the entire park is filled with movies no one cares about. A bugs life was one of the worst pixar movies. While Dinosaur was a stunning movie it was not well received. I think what we are goign to see is Pandora and the philosophy behind the movie. not some Avatar world/land.