VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

The Dark Knight at Six Flags New England CANCELLED!

GAcoaster

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible SF New England's Dark Knight is dead for '08?

From Screamscape:

2008 - The Dark Knight Coaster and More - (4/10/08) In a strange move the Six Flags New England website has removed any mention of The Dark Knight Coaster project from the list of park rides as well as removing the press release. Meanwhile the official national page has been edited to now only list the ride as opening at Six Flags Great Adventure and Six Flags Great America, saying that the “New Attraction Debuts in Two Six Flags Parks Late Spring 2008” instead of three parks. To be honest, I believe all the red tape and hassle laid upon the park by the mucked up New England government system has done what the Joker was never able to do and actually killed The Dark Knight. Anyone know more?

^ All very valid points. I think if they would have to push it out of July though they would be better leaving it for the next season. It just seems like things are so screwed up with everything right now and one more setback would just be a complete disaster.

The only way I could see it being pushed back any further would be if they had to tear down the building they've already built and start from scratch, but they have gotten approvals for what's there already, so they can move forward. They've just been delayed a couple of weeks, and according to their PR person, they are still shooting for a Memorial Day opening. That article was posted today, so I would assume the information she is giving is still correct no matter what Screamscape says.

I think at this point it's impossible for a Memorial Day opening. GADV is WAY ahead of them and they are opening May 15th giving them about two weeks extra to cover the time period they missed. I can see a late June early July at best plus at that time the park will be open full time which can slow it down.

If I had to guess, SFNE's parade will be a combination of new floats and ones from NJ. Originally GA's parade was said to have featured eight floats but a recent newspaper article quoted the number at five. I'm thinking they will increase the number of parade performers to fill the gaps.

From WCVB-TV:

Six Flags Cancels Plans For Indoor Roller Coaster

Batman-Themed Coaster Won't Be Built At Park

UPDATED: 11:19 am EDT April 15, 2008

AGAWAM, Mass. -- Six Flags New England is canceling plans to build a $7 million "Dark Knight" indoor roller coaster.

Park spokeswoman Melissa Pinkerton said the Batman-themed coaster won't be built at the Agawam park as expected. Work already done will be dismantled.

Park officials cited a tight construction schedule and other "unforeseen delays" in the decision to cancel the project, which was slated to open this season.

Agawam officials ordered Six Flags to stop work on the coaster in February, saying it started construction before getting a building permit and permission to exceed the area's 45-foot height limit.

The park received several key approvals from town boards since then, but still did not expect to have the ride built and open until at least late May or early June

I wonder if the ride would fit in the Nightmare at Crack Axle Canyon building at Great Escape? ;)

This is pretty rough for that park. This disaster really could have been averted had they simply waited for the proper approvals to go through and then started for a later opening than the other parks. My guess is that someone's head is going to roll from this because with the investment made by the company into the three of these to be up and running this year, this is a huge setback.

As for us losing some floats, karma is good and lending to help another park will hopefully come back to us in a good way if that is what indeed happens. I'm still interested to see how it comes off when it opens the end of May for us.

I was wondering if all the stuff could be moved to GA, and a mirror image be built adding capacity? It would make sense since GA has the room for it...

We do have the room for it and it would certainly make things interesting. I forsee it being moved to another park though, and a 2009 opening taking place for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Not that there is much news anymore on this project at all, but in case anyone finds it interesting Screamscape is running a couple of updates/rumors on the future of this coaster right now. In the first which you can also read here it has some pictures of the coaster's tracking still just sitting around in the parking lot at the park. One would have thought that by now the track would have been sent somewhere else to keep them from being wasted or from something happening to them. The second is regarding a rumor about the coaster possibly heading to Magic Mountain in the future for a renewed effort to open it there. Not too much to it right now but some speculation, but interesting nonetheless.