VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Extreme Ride Makeovers

29yrswithaGApass

Recently parks have gotten into ride "makeover mode" as a less expensive way of introducing a "new" attraction without spending the big bucks associated with a new installation. Disney has done a lot of this recently with extensive rehabs and enhancements to rides like Pirates of the Caribbean, the Haunted Mansion, and numerous EPCOT attractions (some not for the better). Six Flags Magic Mountain will be doing the same thing this season when they reintroduce their "X" coaster as "X2" with a new paint job, the addition of tunnels, and special sound and lighting effects.

At Great Adventure I think one ride that would greatly benefit from a makeover would be Congo Rapids. The ride is just a shell of its former self and while it was never really extensively themed, the majority of original features of the ride are now inactive including the waterfalls, geysers, and wave machines. I would love to see the park give this ride some attention especially since we are now down to two water rides. Add some themeing, add a tunnel or two with special effects, bring back the geysers and waterfalls, and make the ride fun again.

That's my :TwoCents:

Anyone have any advice for this or another ride or attraction?

I think that's a great idea, but I would go one further and add an interactive water play area geared towards all ages on the center of the "island" where people could shoot at the boats as they pass by. It would give that ride an extra something, as well as giving people a place to get wet and cool off. The area could easily be closed off for the cooler months, eliminating the need for staffing, and could then be used as haunt area for Fright Fest.

They will have a hard time getting rid of the poison ivy that has overgrown some of the banks of Roaring Rapids. The only way I can kill poison ivy around my place is using a powerful weed and grass killer and it still takes awhile. You can't dig it, pull it, cut it, or even burn it without getting a rash, a very nasty plant. But yes Roaring Rapids really needs a makeover, maybe add some more Tiki's, new rafts and other new theming. They did reroof the station a few years ago which was nice. The old roor was wood so it was rotted and moldy and awlful looking, it's new asphalt roof looks much nicer.

Edited by The Master

I would say the queue for Nitro could stand some fixing up. Nitro is a great coaster but it has a real bare bones type of queue and even some of the old info signs are missing. Also they should fix the stairway so people waiting for the front don't block the stairs for people wanting to ride in the other rows. Superman used to have the same problem but the park fixed it.

Also the station is kinda small for a coaster of Nitro's size, Goliath out in SFMM has a bigger station themed to look like a ruin, even Dorney's Steel Force has a better, larger station. GASM has a nicer queue since it is at least covered with a solid roof.

Edited by The Master

• 3 weeks later...

Skull Mt. needs some work like reroofing it since it's own waterfall leaks into the track area let alone rain. Fix the neat lighting system they used to have inside of it and fix the soundtrack. Also give the station floor a good deep cleaning.

I agree Skull Mountain could definately use some upkeep as it has become almost a seemingly forgotten ride in the park.

With the new park network or tvs and other advertising going in I would suspect they may do a little upkeep on the queues for Nitro and the likes, but the picture above is a real shame with the rust markings from lettering running down the front of the building. Instead of looking like a massive coaster with tons of enjoyability, its building now gives it the look of a ride whose importance and luster has since passed it by. Such a shame for one of the best rides the park has to offer. It definately deserves better at least in terms of an upgrade to the building and queue area in some way.

I do also believe it has been mentioned on the boards somewhere before but Medusa definately needs a bit of a paint makeover at some point int he near future.

I think that spike fix was really their last stand when it came to the Chiller. In all honesty the new park management put into effect the biggest change to try to make it work that I can remember so odds are they went into it knowning that if it failed, the ride would be no more. It is after all a business and very rarely do pieces that do not work stick around.

I also think Batman's station could use work as well. It's roof must leak since sunlight shines though the roof holes over the brake run. They did repaint the inside but they just painted over the old gum and grime on the walls in the queue which was gross.

Edited by The Master

I think with the new glow in the dark parade coming into the park and need for some rides to be made over, our Big Wheel and Flying Wave would look pretty awesome if they could be given some new lighting schemes like the ones at Morey's Piers:

gallery_80_264_1134402.jpg

It would at least offer a beautiful sight at night time and bring some attention back to two rides who deserve it.