VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

#13 sky ride car

• 2 months later...

Lol I remember seeing this photo. I wonder how the rope sustained all the weight my gosh!

Believe it or not, the amount of tension on the cable is no where near it's capacity. The weight of the cars is counter-balanced with a huge weight at one of the station ends (in the fort at GA.) The cable can support an incredible amount of weight... something like five times the amount it was tasked when I worked there back in the 80's.

Someone asked "How do you work that fast???" We had a lot more employees on rides back in the 80's... many more than the park puts out there now. This is why lines went fast, crowds were happier and employees had a much better time. We worked out butts off, but had a great time doing so! Cars flew into the station and had to be "caught" every 20-25 seconds... You had one catcher, one loader and one dispatcher per side, per station. it could be done with two, but three was the norm.

Mine Train for example, used to run three trains with a train being dispatched every 45 seconds like clockwork! It required a person to work the "chain" to let exactly 28 people into the station and measure small guests, another person to "usher" them into the stalls (no waiting for front seat back then...) Three people on the unloading side (one person to lock & unlock the first car and handle the spiel over the PA system, one person to handle cars 2 and 3, and the third person handled cars 4 and 5.) You also had an operator, and an extra person who would either sweep queue lines or provide breaks for others. It was very fast paced, but boy did the time pass quickly!!! We also never got out on time - especially after concerts!! Today, the ride is "computerized" and can't handle a three train operation. There are no employees on the loading side, and only two or three on the unloading side (including the operator.)

Eliminating all of the staff certainly cuts payroll, but it also increases the work-load for those remaining, as well as wait times for guests... Sad...