VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Safari Off Road Adventure Discussion Topic

29yrswithaGApass

I would not count on the tours to open Saturday with a forecast high of only 59 and 70% chance of showers, a cold wet lousy day. I was at the park today and I saw construction was still behind, alot of stuff wasn't even close to being finshed, which was probably another factor.

With the old Safari drive though, you could still drive your car though during rainy weather. The last thing the park needs is another ride that is intolerant of bad weather which NJ gets alot of.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was pouring on Friday so I can tell you abouth the rain part. The trucks are covered so unless you are sitting on the end seats you will be pretty safe. The side seats do get a little wet but nothing too extreme. Driving rain will be sure to make things wetter. Several of the trucks are equipped with clear vinyl curtains. As for heat, the water effects and breeze from the truck motion will help, but afterall this is suppose to be Africa! The trucks don't have A/C or vents.

Took the tour today when it opened. Not sure if this is normal though - but they had that corner of the park closed until 11am (Runaway Train, Safari, Log Flume) - but it was a mad stampede when they let us back there.

As far as the tour goes - A bit disappointed in that you don't get to see the monkeys. Trucks ride smoother than I expected. Most of the animals seemed scared of the trucks - I guess they have to adapt. Had to wait 20 minutes at the Camp for another truck to come - not sure what happened there.

When we arrived back at the station - I couldn't believe the line that had formed. The line was all the way back past the bridge over the log flume! That has to be a 2-3 hour wait from there at least. I can only assume they stopped the line shortly after.

For now - plan for more than the 45min to 1 hour they state. It was more like 2 hours from the time we got left the station.

Transportation or amusement ride - which is the Safari Off Road Adventure?

If I am not mistaken, SORA is Great Adventure's first "ride" that is not a ride. The signage for the attraction lacks the standard NJ regulations signs and it is not registered like the rest of the park's rides.

This is the sign at the ride's entrance:

2013_05_25_IMG_2894%20copy.jpg

And it doesn't have the standard signage like this:

2012_05_17_IMG_0170%20copy.jpg

I'd imagine under NJ State law it does not qualify as an amusement ride, much like a parking lot tram would not qualify. Thus, I guess it's really transportation under the law, but a ride/attraction in the eyes of the park.

It was pouring on Friday so I can tell you abouth the rain part. The trucks are covered so unless you are sitting on the end seats you will be pretty safe. The side seats do get a little wet but nothing too extreme. Driving rain will be sure to make things wetter. Several of the trucks are equipped with clear vinyl curtains. As for heat, the water effects and breeze from the truck motion will help, but afterall this is suppose to be Africa! The trucks don't have A/C or vents.

Army trucks usually don't have A/C and rarely have heaters, Eastern Surplus sells heater retrofit kits but those would only work for the cab.

Also it stinks that Frontier Adventures doesn't open until 11, but good to know!

I am not surprised it's a stampede to the Safari, going to KK at opening is awlful with the guards barely controlling the crowds that are stepping on top of each other. I refuse to do that anymore, I just head to anything else first and hit KK last. Do they have guards march the stampede of people to the safari? I hope not since all they seem to do is stress people out more which causes more fights.

• 2 weeks later...

So, now that the new Safari ride has been running for a few weeks now, anyone know how the wait time is looking for weekdays and weekends? Last I heard, it was a three hour wait just to get onto the truck, better than the five hours initially, but still kinda crazy.

Also, did they do anything special with the queue? I heard they were going to decorate it with stuff that the "Wilds" family collected during their trips around the world. :)