Safari Off Road Adventure Discussion Topic

29yrswithaGApass

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure if I ever posted this on here... But I really liked the Safari Off Road Adventure. Besides the insane wait, the ride was a lot of fun. It was definitely better then I was expecting, and it is definitely the perfect ride for families.

I really like the look of the station and its location. It livened up that area which was previously very quiet. Every time that I have been to the park this season (since SORA opened) the Runaway Mine Train has had far longer lines than I have seen over the past few years. The Cables too.

SORA was a great addition to the park!

I really like the look of the station and its location. It livened up that area which was previously very quiet. Every time that I have been to the park this season (since SORA opened) the Runaway Mine Train has had far longer lines than I have seen over the past few years. The Cables too.

Although it doesn't appear that it made Bizarro any more popular, that ride still doesn't attract a lot of people. My opinion though.

An interesting article from earlier this year:

Great Adventure nets safari vehicle from Eastern Surplus

Philadelphia Business Journal

May 3, 2013, 6:00am EDT

When Six Flags Great Adventure launched a total revamp of its Wild Safari adventure, theme park officials decided it wanted a massive, cool-looking off-road vehicle to ferry visitors through its 350-acre animal park where 1,200 animals from six continents roam.

For nearly 40 years, people had driven their own cars through the safari and viewed the animals through their closed windows. The theme park was changing its approach and wanted to use its own vehicles to provide tours of the grounds. It considered a range of vehicles — trains, buses, double-decker buses and even small trucks, but none seemed to fit what the team working on the redesign envisioned. The vehicle needed to be able to climb hills, cross ponds, traverse over dirt and rock paths and to provide visitors with a rugged, off-road experience.

“Given our safari environment with massive animals roaming freely, we knew we needed vehicles that would be taller than the animals and durable,” said Dr. Bill Rives, safari director and chief veterinarian at Six Flags, in a statement. “We wanted an all-terrain vehicle with the load capacity to accommodate our guests. That lead us to surplus military vehicles.”

And, that’s how they found Eastern Surplus & Equipment Co., a Philadelphia company with its operations off Tacony Street.

David Newman, president of Eastern Surplus, had a hobby that involved off-road vehicles. One day, to feed that pastime, he attended a military surplus sale where he saw a Vietnam-era military ambulance and, on an impulse, bought it. That initial purchase led to buying larger military trucks that had been used to carry cargo and personnel. In addition to buying the trucks, Newman’s business expanded to include selling parts to repair these types of vehicles.

By 1999, the hobby turned into a business. Eastern started to re-sell these military vehicles after rebuilding them. The bulk of its sales were to military truck enthusiasts but a portion also came from companies that used the vehicles for construction or off-road use and even foreign militaries, such as Morocco, and missionaries in Liberia. Fire departments in New Jersey used the vehicles to wade through flooding waters brought on by Hurricane Sandy.

“These are serious customers who have real needs,” Newman said. “The export business has been the crown jewel of our work.”

Eastern put up a website to attract more business and that’s how it got the attention of Six Flags in 2011. The company worked over several months with Six Flags to custom design a vehicle that would work for its safari experience. A typical vehicle had beds that were 14 feet and 21 feet long but Six Flags needed 18-foot beds that could seat 30 people. It also wanted animal prints painted on the exterior of each vehicle and canvas covers and roof racks to give it an authentic safari feel. Eastern also designed a drop gate that passengers will walk up and down to get in and out of vehicles.

When Six Flags called Newman, he thought it was going to need one or two of these trucks. Six Flags ordered 18 of them. Safari Off Road Adventure will debut Memorial Day.

For Eastern, the contract has added to the company’s growth. Sales have jumped by 25 percent during the last three years. When it started selling trucks, it sold 10 a year and is now up to 30 at a price between $5,000 to $50,000.

“It has been an interesting evolution for the business,” Newman said.

• 7 months later...

Just rode the Safari Adventure for the first time this Thrusday since it had no line. I really wanted the back row and was willing to wait for the next truck but the attendants kept badgering me until I got on the current truck. Didn't like that very much, and ended up in the second from the back row. Just as I throught the forward view from the truck is nonexistent, you really only have a view from the side and it's only a good view on a outboard seat. If you are in a middele imborad seat, you are not going to get to see much of anything. The truck is rough riding and jolts you alot. Overall the ride was okay. I got off at the midway station and looked around. I was able to get the back row on the truck for the return trip back to the park. The ride was was okay, but not as good as the old drive through where you had control and much better views.