VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Helping guests while pulling in ad dollars

GAcoaster

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

Helping guests while pulling in ad dollars

By ANDREA AHLES

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Six Flags Over Texas is going high-tech.

When it opens March 1 for the season, visitors will notice plasma televisions, cellphone charger kiosks and electronic message boards scattered throughout the park.

The technology will add conveniences and features for guests while also allowing Six Flags to sell more advertising and corporate sponsorships and to collect new revenues, said Nathan Henderson, director of corporate alliances.

"It's tougher and tougher for advertisers to reach out in the fragmented media world," Henderson said. "Six Flags really puts the advertisers' message in front of the consumers."

Kwik Charge Kiosks

What: A kiosk with more than 18 different adapters or chargers for cellphones, iPods, MP3 players and PDAs. A 10- to 15-minute charge will cost $2.

Where: There will be 10 kiosks, many near ATMs.

Why: Visitors are often in the park for more than eight hours. People who send text messages often need to recharge their cellphones, Henderson said.

Six Flags Television

What: Forty-five-inch plasma televisions that will show original programming and advertising from Six Flags partners. Visitors with wireless Bluetooth technology will be able to interact with the televisions in text-to-win contests.

Where: Four televisions per line at the most popular rides: Batman the Ride, Mr. Freeze, The Runaway Mine Train, La Vibora, El Aserradero, Texas Giant, Texas Depot, Yosemite Sam's Gold River Adventure, Roaring Rapids and Titan.

Why: Visitors spend on average of 39 minutes in line per ride. "It's a very integral part in keeping our guests happy because it will give them something to do other than twiddle their thumbs while they're standing in line," Henderson said.

Rotating billboard signs

What: Lighted motorized signs that can change ads every 30 seconds and display up to 10 messages per side. LED screens above the ads can also display messages.

Where: All 10 signs will be up and running by early May.

Why: "In the past, every time we wanted to put any type of billboard signs in the park, it would essentially be a plywood sign on a 4-by-4 post stuck in the ground," Henderson said. "These will concentrate on the theming of the area."

I would guess we'll see all of this and more at GA this year as well.

We can certainly hope so. Will all the focus on the Dark Knight going into the park, not much else has really been heard this off season. I hope this stuff is up and running by opening day.

I can't really say that I ever have my cell on me in the park while I am going on rides. We usually just grab a locker for the day and leave our stuff like money and such in there fo us to come back to during the course of our visit. I can see the charger kiosk being nice for some of those teens running around texting their friends and taking pictures and calling people all day long. Maybe that is a bad thing, however, since it will mean more time I spend in line listening to some kid's daily life unfold on the phone lol.

Maybe that is a bad thing, however, since it will mean more time I spend in line listening to some kid's daily life unfold on the phone lol.

That is so true.

I would think that having charging stations in the park would encourage more people to bring their phones with them into the park, into lines, and therefore on to rides. We have all heard the horror stories of these things flying out of pockets and supposedly jamming into rides (Kingda Ka). I've even seen people ride coasters while on the phone. Pretty stupid.

I'll be honest I am sure the charging kiosks are no shock considering the bluetooth interactivity the company is looking to have with some of their television advertising. Obviously you want people to be able to use their phones throughout the day without having to worry about them being properly charged and everything so that does make sense.

You are right though Harry, there are way too many problems that can occur when those phones are brought to the wrong places. Especially with the tv advertising on the queue areas, those phones are probably going to be a bit more prevalent than they have been in the past. I think one of the most frustrating things I have had happen to me was someone who decided to be on their phone through one of my trips on the Spongebob simulator. Not only did it absolutely ruin the ride for me, but there is no reason for it. if you have business that is that important then you should not be on the attractions in the first place and instead maybe go grab some food and take care of it. I think part of the problem with some of the younger kids (I never would have dreamed of a cell phone at the age of some of them) need to be in contact with every single friend they have like 24/7 and the ones they are at the park with half the time they don't even seem to be talking to.

I do, however, like the idea of some of the advertising overall being interactive in a sense, and the ability to charge a phone even briefly could come in handy as one never knows when an emergency may come up I suppose. I think I am a little more torn today than I was a few weeks ago when news of this strategy first came about and was posted on here. I look forward to new revenue for the park and we all enjoy the queue entertainment that we once had, but I also feel that the whole concept could work out more negatively than the park has thought through.

I bring my cell phone and put it in a locker just because I like to know I can get to it without having to walk all the way back to my car or anything. And there have been a few instances where someone had been trying to get into contact with me so it was nice to have it in close proximity to me although it wasn't actually on me.

I tend to carry my cellphone around and just either sit on it or secure it somehow. I think the charging kiosks are a great idea. Its happened to us all, its rainy or cold and your looking to meet people when all of a sudden your cellphone goes dead. Now What?

As for the TVs, that can be either very cool with the txt to win or very annoying if its a nonstop reel of commercials

Well with the new advertising signs that can scroll through different advertisements throughout the day, there could seemingly be a lowering of the sheer number of signs that the park uses now. At the same time if we see as much signage as we now do it will be a bit overwhelming at times.