VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Twice as much fun at Great Adventure

Did you ever notice how many things at Great Adventure are or were installed as "dual" features?

- Skyride - two cable loops

- Hydro Flume - twin chutes

- Lightnin' Loops - two separate interlocking coasters

- Haunted Castle - two mirror image mazes

- Rolling Thunder - dual track coaster

- Roaring Rapids - twin conveyor loading docks

- Batman & Robin The Chiller - dual tracks

- Time Warp - Double Inverter

- Kingda Ka - dual stations

Not to mention multiple types of rides - bumper cars, ferris wheels, etc.

About the only opportunity the park decided not to go double at Great Adventure was when they built a single station Superman unlike Six Flags Over Georgia's version.

I know I am missing some... anyone?

• 4 months later...

If it were available at the time, I wonder if Six Flags would have considered installing an Intamin Twin Flying Bounty when they added the Buccaneer?

2735_1.jpg

Obviously only a guess, but I'd go with a "yes" on that one. Larry Cochran was a big believer in hourly throughput being a real issue at GA and, given the popularity of The Bucanner, I have to think that two would have been better than one.

I don't know about that. I don't think they would spend the money on two identical flat rides. A double roller coaster is one thing, but I don't think they'd do a double flat.

I was just considering the time The Bucanneer was introduced (1980) and thinking GA was the company's cash cow at the time, had introduced two dual loading attractions over the prior two seasons, and was enjoying significant increases in attendance with each successive season of SF ownership. With the continuing need at the time for higher throughput on their rides at the time, I think they might have done it, especially given the number of near-duplicates they had at the time (Ferris wheels, bumper cars, flumes). Perhaps, though, I'm being logical and I think we agree that has never been a strong point of Six Flags.

• 4 months later...
Guest Moonracker7

Chiller rarely ran together because of an incident or the removal or replacing of LIMs on one of the towers. They now have 3 "dropping" towers: ZDOD, EAFBJT, and Sky screamer (quoted because latter 2 are not drop towers and ZDOD is not free standing; it relies on Kinda Ka for support).

Chiller rarely ran together because of an incident or the removal or replacing of LIMs on one of the towers. They now have 3 "dropping" towers: ZDOD, EAFBJT, and Sky screamer (quoted because latter 2 are not drop towers and ZDOD is not free standing; it relies on Kinda Ka for support).

Not just Chiller, but also Rolling Thrunder, Roaring Rapids, Kingda Ka, and the Sky Ride. My parents who used to ride Lightning Loops back in the day said they usually only ran one side most of the time.