VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Big Wave Racer Opens

The slide was promoted as opening "this summer" so to the general public it will open on time when the park goes into daily operation on June 21. Completed ahead of schedule, the park also gets to use the spring weekends to offer season pass holders an extended preview and also encourage visiting guests to purchase a pass and try it out.

Just be careful you don't catch a cold, then be sick when the weather does warm up. Also it sucks that HH won't be open weekdays until near the end of June while the other local waterparks will be open everyday after this weekend.

Well I rode the new Racer mat slide today, and sadly it's just not really that good. Rode it twice with the SP preview. You had to get wistbands, but every employee I asked told me a different spot but I found it on my on. On my second slide down it the mat shifted on me and I hit my elbow on the slide. After I got off I saw ithe slide had cut me and I was bleeding. Overhead a couple of other sliders complaining about they hit their heads on the slide. Never had a slide cut me before, the only other time I got hurt on a slide was another mat slide at Moreys, which is the reason I don't care for them.

Source: Six Flags Great Adventure

‘Big Wave Racer’ to Hit Six Flags Hurricane Harbor June 21 Grand Opening Celebration to Support New Jersey’s ‘Stronger Than the Storm’ Campaign

WHAT:

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor will mark the official first day of summer, June 21, by celebrating the grand opening of its newest slide complex, Big Wave Racer, in support of New Jersey’s “Stronger Than the Storm” campaign. Proceeds from this unveiling will go to the Jersey Shore Convention and Visitor’s Bureau to aid in the rebuilding of area businesses impacted by Superstorm Sandy.

WHERE:

Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, Rt. 537 West, Jackson, NJ – adjacent to Six Flags Great Adventure & Safari.

Big Wave Racer slide complex.

WHEN:

June 21, 2013 at 11 a.m. Park gates will open at 10:30 a.m. for admission. Rides will open at 11 a.m. All guests are welcome to attend. Special discounted tickets for June 21 are available for just $24.99+tax with $5 of each ticket being donated to the Jersey Shore Convention and Visitor’s Bureau’s “Open for Business” campaign that supports businesses in Monmouth and northern Ocean Counties by visiting www.sixflags.com/greatadventure and entering the promo code WAVE in the upper right corner.

DETAILS:

The ride’s grand opening celebration will kick off at 11 a.m. Town officials and families representing six shore towns impacted by Hurricane Sandy―three from Ocean County and three from Monmouth County― will take to the slides in a friendly competition. All six towns will receive a donation of one thousand dollars, with an additional one thousand-dollar donation being awarded through the competition. Families will also receive a Six Flags prize package.

Big Wave Racer sends riders barreling head-first down six lanes on aero-dynamically-designed water toboggans. After climbing four stories, they rocket down twisting, enclosed tubes and upon seeing daylight, plunge down several steep drops stretching 1,800 feet before crossing the finish line.

Big Wave Racer is the eighth slide complex at Hurricane Harbor, pushing the number of thrill slides to more than 25. A new beach and dozens of lounge chairs were added to the area surrounding the new slide complex. The elaborately-themed, 45-acre park also features a million-gallon wave pool, a half-mile lazy river and a large children’s water playground.

For more information, visit www.sixflags.com/greatadventure.

• 3 weeks later...

One of the rare times I disagree with you 29. I prefer the straight open style since they don't trow you around. Of course I prefer inner tubes over mats.

Odd thing I noticed is that mat water lides seem to be much more common in other parts of the country while the northeast seems to not have many, and most here are recent.

I guess I still have the "Adventure Rivers" mentality on slides. Back when the park had the North American Rivers slide most guests avoided it because it was just a glorified sliding board and opted instead for the enclosed tubes. Without the Big Wave Racer's enclosed tubes I could see many guests leaving the mat slides as a last option of things to do as it would make for a much more simple attraction.

19940275%20copy.jpg

Of course a big difference is riders sat in a raft for the North American Rivers slide, while riders lie down face forward on the mats. Because of this mats offer less protection than rafts or inner tubes and why I don't like mat slides very much.