VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Teen creating some magic with his Six Flags museum

GAcoaster

From the LA Daily News:

Teen creating some magic with his Six Flags museum

By Patricia Farrell Aidem, Staff Writer

Article Last Updated: 02/29/2008 08:13:38 PM PST

VALENCIA - The purple fur of the troll costume was matted and the plastic eyes were scratched, but 19-year-old Brandon Bruce eyed it as a piece of local history and the building block he needed.

The refurbished King Troll, with his gold cape and bead-studded crown, is the centerpiece of Six Flags California's Magic Mountain's new museum, under construction within the theme park's landmark tower and set to open this month.

"He also has a friend who's orange. We're researching who he is," Bruce said during a recent trek to the top of the 386-foot tower, the newly painted red steel fixture that put the Santa Clarita Valley on the map.

Bruce, a college student and senior ride supervisor, is in charge of the Magic on the Mountain museum, one of many projects corporate executives are looking at to help recast the 37-year-old Valencia theme park from teen haven to family-friendly destination.

With Six Flags' swollen debt and decision last year to sell off some parks, all eyes are on the profitable Valencia properties - Magic Mountain and neighboring Hurricane Harbor - to aid a turn-around.

A committee of park employees started looking at developing attractions to draw families, which tend to spend more in the park than the teens pulled in by the signature thrill rides.

"He was amazing. He just took ownership," park spokeswoman Sue Carpenter said of Bruce. "I don't know many other 19-year-olds who have the initiative, the drive to do this. That's what's so cool."

Indeed, the teen is poised and driven, comfortable among the company's top brass as he shows off the growing memorabilia collection he will arrange against a magnificent panoramic view.

"This is a chain from Viper. This is a wheel from Shockwave," Bruce said, handling treasures while pointing below to each park roller coaster.

"We're going to make a shelf here on the wall and we'll have decals on the windows to show where things are in the park."

The project took off like a roller coaster car, with employees searching among warehouses, wardrobes and their own collections for Magic Mountain memorabilia.

"The coolest thing we have is a 96-year-old carousel horse," Bruce said.

The horses for the park merry-go-round were purchased from a Connecticut theme park, but because they're so valuable were replaced with sturdier Fiberglas models.

The booty also includes a life-size cutout of the bald and bespectacled dancing icon Mr. Six and a Trollywood City Limits sign from the long-gone troll attraction.

And there are posters, maps, illustrations, pieces of rides and dozens of employee uniforms, among them the puffy 1970s-era orange number with the rickrack around the neckline.

"I used to wear that - and it still fits," said General Manager Tim Burkhardt, who started working in 1977 as a ride operator for Revolution.

In those days, only male employees worked the thrill rides.

"The idea was that the rides were so technically oriented, the general public wouldn't feel comfortable with girls operating them," Burkhardt said.

The roller coaster operator-turned-executive sees a bit of himself in Bruce.

"I'm enjoying the heck out of this, watching as he is seeing a project from the start," Burkhardt said. "I see the panic in his eyes that I feel all the time when I'm facing hurdles and deadlines. I see how he takes on the challenge of getting all these people to work for him."

The tower museum, with room for 300, will be available for banquets. During the elevator rides, visitors will hear the story of the park.

Magic Mountain is in Bruce's blood. His mother worked there, and he started at age 15 selling temporary tattoos at the Hurricane Harbor water park.

A homegrown graduate of Hart High School, Bruce attends College of the Canyons with plans to move on to California State University, Northridge, to major in business.

"It literally was just handed to me," Bruce said of his project. "They had the faith in me, gave me the money. They promoted my idea and let me run with it."

And he earned the trust.

He's hands-on and he delegates. Monday was his first day setting up. He jiggled the screws still in his pocket after affixing several awards and commendations - including one Guinness World Record plaque for coaster riders - to an interior wall.

The tower had been closed for a few years, one of the underutilized features prime for new ideas, Marketing Director Debbie Erickson said.

Drilled 80 feet into the ground, it's a venerable structure, one that's withstood two big earthquakes - Sylmar in 1971 and Northridge in 1994.

And it stands tall on the horizon, a sign to travelers along the nearby Interstate 5 that they've made it home to Southern California.

"The tower's a landmark," park President Jay Thomas said. "I'm sure when we open the museum, people will be excited to see the local history. We're certain people from the public will add to the collection."

Bruce was asked recently to participate in a conference call and present his project to Six Flags' top executives from headquarters in New York and Dallas, and dozens of others listeners.

"I was a little nervous, but I just told them all the things this could do for the park. We could rent it out. People would stay in the park longer ..."

The horses for the park merry-go-round were purchased from a Connecticut theme park, but because they're so valuable were replaced with sturdier Fiberglas models

That sounds like Lake Compounce.

TPR has some pics of the items in the tower HERE

Edited by redsoxfan0810

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw some pictures of the new museum, one item they have is a model of GAdv's GASM! I guess it is there because GASM is a sister coaster to MM's Viper and they may no longer have a model of Viper.

I think a museum would be awesome and a repaired Super Teepee would definately be the best place. Hey if they need inspiration they can look no further than GAH's very own graveyard of past rides for some ideas. Lol Harry and Tom ever thought about a consulting contract? :)

Quickly on the thought of the 35th Anniversary for the park. I think that as this current season goes on we are going to find out that the park has something rather huge in store as a celebration. There is no way Six Flags lets the anniversary go by without doing something to honor such a great park. Maybe a nice spiffy dive machine or just a complete overhaul with multiple new flats, shows and all. Either way I think that something good will come about.

• 4 weeks later...