VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Six Flags New Orleans Rides on the Move

29yrswithaGApass

During the quarterly conference call this morning, Six Flags mentioned that they will be relocating some of the parks rides to other facilities. They have already removed the Batman ride and it was stated that the park's drop tower will be relocated somewhere for the 2009 season.

abo.jpg

This model seems like it would have too low of a capacity for GA, but assuming it hasn't been ruined by water damage I wouldn't mind seeing their Monster Spin style ride heading to NJ and placed into Movie Town next to a rethemed HBO Commissary/Drive-In.

WielandSchwarzkopfPolyp.jpg

It is sad what happened to SFNO, I was there when it was still Jazzland before Six Flags bought it. It was a very nice park, clean, setup well, lots of shows, neat and unusual rides. It was kind of small but was a nice park.

It is unfortunate, and in retrospect it is similar to almost everything else that has happened there since the Hurricanes. Not a whole lot has really been built back up yet and much business has moved out of the area. It would have been nice if Six Flags could move the rides on loan for a few years with the intention of building the park back up for that area once again, but I guess it's still good that the rides will not be demolished and forgotten about. The drop tower I am sure could fit in well in GA. Maybe over by the new Dark Knight coaster in Movietown somewhere. Could be easily themed to fit in between the two Batmans.

If the other SF parks are anything like it is here at work SFNO would be an empty field right now. Whenever someone at work leaves everyone pirates anything that is nailed down to call it their own.

New Orleans could be a good source of rides for a park that is in dire need of flats! :shifty:

New Orleans could be a good source of rides for a park that is in dire need of flats! :shifty:

This is very true and I do hope we see something come out of it even if it is only like one or two rides. I just hate to see a park that seemingly was doing well close for anything but financial reasons. Especially one that could have been a major example of how well the place could have been rebuilt.

I believe another one of the rides they have is a Chance Aviator, which would be a GREAT addition to GA's ride lineup:

ChanceAviator1.jpg

That ride would be PERFECT for Evolution's old spot...

I was on that! That ride is weird that it made me sick which is highly unusual for me. I rode Chiller 20 times and that didn't make me sick at all. Their flume was not running when I was there but I think it was a rather small, portable flume. Nothing of the size of the old Hydro Flume. I am sure GAdv could make use of that splashdown ride, I can't remember how big that was.

Edited by The Master

• 3 weeks later...

The outlook for American Adventures, Six Flags smallest park near Atlanta Georgia, is not looking too promising. The park would typically be open for weeks by now but still no operating schedule has been posted yet for this park. Like SFNO, if AA's rides are up for grabs it would be nice to get their Scrambler and Tilt a Whirl!

IMG_9530.jpg

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9537.jpg

Also, to replace Pirate's Flight, we should receive their Zamperla Balloon Ride. It would incredible if they made all the balloons look like the original GA Hot Air Balloon!

IMG_9527.jpg

gallery_2_187_208210.jpg

Wow yes some of the classic rides would be nice and we do have some nice open spaces that they could be thrown into. Although you are right it is not a good sign for that park that they have yet to open or have a schedule posted.

Just as an aside I decided to take a look at the park's official page over on sixflags.com and you really are right it almost reminds me of like when a website forgets to take a page down that is no longer needed. There is absolutely nothing on there to even hint it has been touched in a long time.

Edited by JetsDevs4Lyf

• 6 months later...

Source - Rush Radio 95.5 WRNO:

Company Ends Effort To Buy Six Flags New Orleans

"We are no longer able to pursue reopening this park," official says

Thursday, October 2, 2008

A company that had hoped to reopen the Six Flags amusement park in New Orleans East next year, has now terminated its discussions with Six Flags and the city.

Southern Star Amusement of Bay St. Louis apparently failed to reach an agreement with Six Flags on a price for the property.

The company's vice president, Christopher Sweeney, says Southern Star ceased its operations in New Orleans two weeks ago. He posted the following statement on the company's website.

"It has been a busy ten months as we have worked to revive the former Six Flags New Orleans property. After working very diligently, we have reached a point in this project where we are no longer able to pursue reopening this park. We cannot comment as to any situations that have or may have impacted our decision. We remain committed to pursuing opportunities along the Gulf Coast and have not given up on our plans on establishing a park here."

The company had proposed adding rides and a water park to the Six Flags facility which has been closed since Katrina.