VOTE NOW FOR ALL YOUR FAVORITES FROM G.A. 2023 ×

Gr.Adv.Debate #22: Does Zumanjaro make your Top 5 list at Great Adventure?

30 members have voted

1. 1. Does Zumanjaro make your Top 5 list of rides at Great Adventure?

• Yes! It's one of my favorites.
    • No. I like several things better.
    • I'll never know - I am not trying it.

My top 5 at Great Adventure are:

1. Nitro-- My all-time favorite coaster anytime, lots of airtime and very smooth, it just doesn't let up, love riding this at night, you truly feel like you are in heaven, I usually save this ride, the magnificent Nitro for my last ride of the day/night

2. El Toro "The Bull"-- this is a toss-up with Nitro, very intense, but smooth ride, does not let up, you feel like you are flying out of your seat, if this was March Madness, it would easily be a top (# 1) seed. If I can't close with Nitro, I would close it with this ride, during ROTB this year, I rode it 12 straight times without having to leave the station

3. Kingda Ka-- "The King of all Coasters"- It would be my # 1 if it was longer like Nitro and Toro, but it's just too short. You really get that adrenaline rush, going from 0-128 mph in 3.5 seconds.

4. Bizarro-- very underrated attraction and smooth ride, I like this ride because it flips you upside down 7 times (it doesn't let up), this ride is totally mindblowing at night when the elements take full effect, love the theme and elements that go along with it.

5. Zumanjaro: Drop of Doom-- The worst part is going up, it feels like it takes forever, but there is no greater feeling coming down, I rode this for the first time during ROTB in 2014 and I really loved it, that is why it is in my top 5.

Update: Old news but I finally did Zumanjaro a long time ago. The way up is much worse than the way back down. It goes up slowly first to get past the magnetic brakes, then accelerates to full speed; that was pretty unnerving. At the top you get a nice view, then the release of the gondola happens, which is also one of the best parts. The drop is eternal, it feels like after you've gone 200 ft you're like, "we're still falling?". The drop has a ton of air and overall it was awesome. Definitely top 5 at the park.

My top 5 is as follows.

5. Kingda Ka

4. Batman

3. Bizarro

2. El Toro

1. Nitro

I'd have KK as #3 if it didn't break down so damn much. I've been to the park 3 times this year and two of the times it opened late and had a giant line by the time it actually opened.

Not a fan of Zumanjaro. The ride itself is fine, but it cut KK's capacity by 1/3rd and rendered it out of commission for almost half a season. It also replaced a ride that was better than it is (Rolling Thunder).

Here's what would have been the ideal thing to do.

• Have GCI completely retrack Rolling Thunder, replace the brakes with fin brakes (like Mine Train has) and shorten the brake run and final turnaround into the station. Also get brand new trains with individual lab bars and no seat belts. This would have smoothed the ride out and allowed for faster dispatches.
  • After the previous thing is done, start building Zumanjaro. Run a path back there which would be easier with Rolling Thunder's brake run shortened. Do this during the season and build the queue near the back of the KK tower before the park closes for the year.
  • As soon as the season is over, go vertical on construction of Zumanjaro. Plan to allow them to run together and ask the state what would need to be done beforehand. Plan on finishing construction by opening day so KK can be open.

If this were done, Zumanjaro would have been a great addition, but the way it was done, not so much.

I finally rode Zumanjaro during my trip to the park this past July and my opinion is pretty much the same as KK456's above:

The way up is much worse than the way back down. It goes up slowly first to get past the magnetic brakes, then accelerates to full speed; that was pretty unnerving. At the top you get a nice view, then the release of the gondola happens, which is also one of the best parts. The drop is eternal, it feels like after you've gone 200 ft you're like, "we're still falling?". The drop has a ton of air and overall it was awesome. Definitely top 5 at the park.

Yes it's a shame what it did to KK's capacity but the ride itself is awesome!

A year after responding, I like Zumanjaro a lot more than I originally did and consider it a must ride during a trip to the park.

My new top 5 is:

1. Nitro

2. El Toro

3. Bizarro

4. Zumanjaro

5. Saw Mill Log Flume